Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

germany (berlin) insurance for freelancer.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shantimarthaller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: germany (berlin) insurance for freelancer. Reply with quote

Hello, So I'm trying to get my German Freelance Visa, and I have done everything I need so far, address, bank, employment letters, except the insurance. I know insurance in Germany in confusing, but I have really been having a hard time finding info on it. I've heard people mention insurance for around 65-75 Euro, that is just super basic, but I haven't been able to find it. so far I've only found stuff from 150-200 that has a hight deductible, that I Prob won't use, so I don't want to pay that much. any help you have is great, thanks.

-Shanti
JN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a freelancer, so I don't know if this helps, but I am with Techniker Krankenkasse.
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techniker Krankenkasse is a possibility but would be expensive for a freelancer.

As said above, proof of insurance (from a Germany-approved company) is required when applying for a visa. It�s best to ask a broker, which won�t cost any more than if you get insurance independently. Google a la carte spectrum Germany.
renovatio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use DKV, go to their website and call one of their reps in your area, and tell them (this is VERY important) that you're not a permanent resident, and that you will leave in one year (you don't have to). If you tell them this and you are below the age of 60 they will give you insurance for 79 euro a month. If you don't tell them that you are not a permanent resident and don't plan to be then they will try to slap with the requirements that a resident in Germany would need which is around 200 euro a month for a male. The 79 is for a male and if you're a female it's 111 euro.

Ask for the AS2 plan when you call your rep. Tell them you are not a permanent resident, and tell them you need the AS2 plan and that's all. The AS2 is what I have. I'll report back with my full experience in Germany so far as soon as I have my work permit in my hand which I'm still waiting on. Good luck.
Minny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

care-concept are the cheapest take the expat care you can buy it over their website.
Minny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and the proof is a paragraph over absatz 11. just ask for it seperately for your visa they get the question a lot so they know what they are doing. KDV were useless getting this letter out to my friend he ended up changing to care-concept.
artemisia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like DKV either but then most insurance companies are not that wonderful.

OP: you might also want to consider getting personal liability insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung), as in Germany you can be potentially sued for damage done in the public arena. I didn't find this out for some time but when I did I got it. I'm vague on the details of policies I had or the company name now but I used one company to get this and another insurance that covered property damage (not household goods insurance) to the physical building for which you will also be held legally responsible. I can't remember now if both came under Haftpflichtversicherung or not. I recall having two different insurances with the same company to cover personal liability and property damage but they were cheap - unlike health insurance.

This website will give you more info and there might be other posters with more up to date information than me.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/German_insurances
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: