Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need info on standard salary for EFL in Al Ain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scots Chick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Need info on standard salary for EFL in Al Ain Reply with quote

Currently in Seoul, South Korea and need info on standard salary for EFL in Al Ain as have been offered a job in the Al Sanawbar School starting in August at 5500 AED.

Any info on cost of living, social life, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance folks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotschick,

I would consider that a very low salary and you didn't mention any benefits. My first job in the Emirates in 1992 I was paid nearly double that plus the usual flat, furniture allowance, tickets, and medical. You have not mentioned what your education and experience are.

Al Ain is a rather small oasis city - not much social life compared to a place like Dubai. There are quite a few expats there and life tends to revolve around activities at the hotels or outdoor activities.

The Emirates in general are an expensive place to live - comparable to the US or UK. I couldn't say how the costs would compare to Seoul. One problem that I can see is that with the way that Al-Ain sprawls, owning a car is crucial, but buying one on that salary would really set you back.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: how much ? Reply with quote

The salary you have been offered is low and you could do better than this I suspect.

I am not sure that a car is essential in Al Ain - taxis are everywhere and very cheap. However I have only visited the place and I have not worked there.
tefllifer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Standard salary in Al Ain Reply with quote

Hi
Yes, 5,500 is low, but think it's standard for Al Sanawber - if you are single and have housing, etc., you can get by on that in Al Ain - but you won't really be able to save. still, you can do the job for a year and check out other possibilities once you are here.
Many people don't have cars in Al Ain - depends where you live - taxis are plentiful and cheap - late at night in the suburbs there may be a problem getting one.
Social life - depends what you want - the hotels have nice health clubs and social/sports activities, there's a good crowd at the natural history group - you might be a bit isolated at Al Sanawber if there aren't a lot of Western teachers there, so you might need to join up with different groups to meet people.
Advice - accept the offer, but keep looking - forget what you said your nationality is - but if Brit with Brit school qualifications, check out AAESS in Al Ain (Al Ain English Speaking School) or Al Dafra School for a better deal - or there's chouefait, but that's another story.
Mark100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay in Korea would be my advice as 5500 is barely liveable in the UAE.
Scots Chick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Thanks for the prompt feedback. I thought it seemed low, but was unsure if the cost of living would compensate - clearly not from the replies posted!

Yes, I am British with Trinity TEFL certification and varied experience over a number of years, so I will take your advice and keep looking. Either that or hang on to the Seoul experience for another year where the cost of living is less than half that of the UK, so that one can save the equivalent of AED6000 (main salary) and live off private teaching fees each month!!

Thanks again... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: