Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question regarding the Codice Fiscale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crystalpalace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Question regarding the Codice Fiscale Reply with quote

I've already run a search on this website regarding getting a codice fiscale but there seems to be a bit of conflicting information.

I've read that you need to go in person to the local ministry of finance in Italy when you arrive. However, someone else on here has said that there is no need for that and you can simply obtain your codice fiscale online. Is this true? Is it that easy?

Thank you!

(I've just been offered a job in Italy, hence why I'm asking this!)
Inglese

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better to go to the place in person with your passport. You can calculate what it may be online but that won't make it official.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly check it online, but I went in person to get mine, and I needed my passport to make it official. All you need to do is to find out where the local Min of Finance is - and the whole process should only take a few minutes.
dackinator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of unofficial calculators online which can estimate your code, but they dont actually give you it, and for foreigners they are inaccurate. To actually get your code you'll need to go to the agenzia entrate building of wherever you are staying. Your school should help you find it.

You'll need your passport and the address of wherever you are staying.

Officially they can also require proof of address,but if you just lie and say you're only here for a few months, they will ignore this.

Like everything in Italy, theres a lot of bureaucracy, but its possible to go around it Wink

One thing to watch out for - if they ask why you want the tax code, say you are tourist or something, and need it to get an italian sim card. Dont mention you want the code for work, or they'll then want a copy of your work contract, and it just makes the process longer.

Good luck, and bring a book for the queue Very Happy
(seriously if you get seen within 2 hours of arriving, you're lucky!)
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updated info. I wasn't asked for my address, or the reason for wanting a codice fiscale. And even in Rome, where you'd expect mammoth queues, it was the quickest, most painless bit of bureaucracy I had to do. Where are you based, out of interest?
dackinator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that sounds very nice. I did mine in Catania so maybe thats why it was such a different experience.. I was so happy when I finally received it, it felt like such an achievement!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you find living and working there? I went to Sicily on holiday a couple of years ago (to that area) and thought it was fantastic. Though of course I realise holiday / work are two very different things!
pie in the sky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it absolutely necessary to have a fixed address before getting it? Local Italian consulate here doesn't mention address and an Italian friend says the codedepends on you date of birth, gender, the letters in you name and your citizenship so address wouldn't come into it right? I just want tpo know where I'm supposed to start codice fiscale, residence or appartment. Seems so confusing
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need an address because they send the card through the mail. If you've got EU citizenship, you could start first with the codice fiscale, then find work (for which you'll need the codice fiscale for them to pay you), then lastly residency. You'll need to register with the local anagrafe too for what used to be called the permesso di soggiorno, but don't know what it's now called.

To make any transaction you need a codice fiscale - getting a sim card, opening a bank account, getting paid, etc. You also need one for contracts, including tenancy contracts.
pie in the sky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: