Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accommodation in Cambodia????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drlubanski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Accommodation in Cambodia???? Reply with quote

To all teflers (present and past) in Cambodia:

[1] what are the accommodation options for expats in Cambodia?
[2] how much are the respective rents?
[3] how difficult is it to get a decent bachelor pad?
[4] how do you find rental accommodation? do employers help you find a place?
[5] what's the general standard of housing? what are the biggest problems?
[6] how is/was your experience with your housing in Cambodia?

thanks in advance for answers to any of these questions.
Micro67

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Phnom Penh? Reply with quote

I looked at moving to P.P. before I moved to Vietnam. Go to the Walkabout and you can get someone to show you around easily. I always stay at the Lion D'or when I'm traveling, but I looked at really nice places right on the Ton Le Saht (SP?) for about $400US/month and mansions off the beaten path for under $200. There are actually more satalite options and stuff than what is available here.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drlubanski asked
Quote:
[1] what are the accommodation options for expats in Cambodia?
[2] how much are the respective rents?
[3] how difficult is it to get a decent bachelor pad?
[4] how do you find rental accommodation? do employers help you find a place?
[5] what's the general standard of housing? what are the biggest problems?
[6] how is/was your experience with your housing in Cambodia?

1) Excellent. You also have the option of good affordable hotels. Hoteliers will give discounts for long-term stays.

2) Rents start at around $70 per month for a primitive flat and rise into the thousands for spacious villas. Teachers usually pay $120 to $200.

3) Not difficult at all. It is a renter's market. Average rents are still declining ten years after the inflationary times of UNTAC. Agents are unnecessary, deposits not usually required, and landlords grateful for biz.
There are many newly built units. Families will also vacate their own dwellings for a paying tenant. Or go to Tom's Irish bar and ask his wife. People are very helpful in Cambodia, you will find. Or ask David Finch at Cafe Sonteipheap, he's the owner and he can hook you up. Just buy his beer!

4) Ask around. A motodop can help search you for a small fee. There are also estate agents who can save you time, but they are geared toward the higher income levels enjoyed by NGOS, etc. If you work for a small school like the American school, and you're fairly permanent, they will help you.
Hey, it's Asia! Friend friend friend!

5) Problems: Noise and heat. Noise is unavoidable for the most part. but there are some things you can do, like check the place at different times of the day, especialy early morning. Check to make sure your prospective gaff is not situated above a karaoke parlour, gambler's den, motorcycle repair shop, molybdenum widget factory, slaughterhouse etc. Try to live opposite a wat, would be my advice. As for heat, avoid taking rooms near the roof or on the ground floor, unless the roof is extremely well insulated or offers a shaded balcony. Somewhere below the top floor is best. You'll soon see why. Also, TV cable will be spliced by the landlord, giving you a diluted connection. Ten dollars a month for a snowy screen. Not much you can do about it. My advice is to find a Khmer as opposed to a Chinese Cambodian landlord. The latter seem to be under some compulsion to rip off their tenants, viz the cable thing, no matter how nicely they otherwise behave. I think it's just the way they are.

5) My experience was varied as I moved around a lot, from the crummiest dives to some very nice flats. Noise can be a big problem. Also, don't lose your temper with the neighbours. It's their country, no matter that they blast the stereo at midnight. You don't know who they are or what they are packing. A very nice place to live is across the river on Chroy Chung Var, a rural paradise compared to the city, and an easy commute, or in other cities. Phnom Penh can be a bit crazy after a while. You'll see whay I mean after you've been there half a year.. Good luck. PM me if you wish.
dractalks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: check this... Reply with quote

http://www.khmer440.com/
beenthere96-2005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Rents Reply with quote

dractalks wrote:
http://www.khmer440.com/

Rents start at around $70 per month for a primitive flat and rise into the thousands for spacious villas. Teachers usually pay $120 to $200.
Sialia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beenthere, you're just reviving 7-8 year old threads everywhere today aren't you?
Steinmann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sialia wrote:
beenthere, you're just reviving 7-8 year old threads everywhere today aren't you?

I noticed the same. It might be good to stir things up a bit, but I have to catch myself when reading old information.
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the above information regarding prices is way out of date (2003).

Now look to pay a minimum of $200/month, or a good 20% of your salary.

It can be hard to find anything central for that, and it is likely to be small.

For a nice, centrally located flat, you have to pay a minimum of $300 these days.

Many teachers who have been around since the early 2000s now find it a struggle.

The salaries are still the same as they were in those days (though schools don't pay you months late, if ever, the way they used to ...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: