Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Documenting my Experience with TEFL Worldwide Prague
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
what school do you work for now? it reads like you're working for a different school now, not TEFL Worldwide... and you said the school you work for was "great"... i was asking about that...
ajbrook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I thought you were interested in learning why I think TEFL Worldwide Prague is a good school. I am currently employed by Horizonty, a small language school in Prague teaching Business English.
mr tree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Documenting my Experience with TEFL Worldwide Prague Reply with quote

jasonXkeller wrote:
I will continue to log in here, documenting my entire process with TEFL Worldwide, Czech Republic, Prague, and any schools I interview with or work for. Stay posted for updates.

What should we infer from never having heard from Jason again? Shocked
Wide eyed wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I was looking to apply for TEFL Worldwide. I was thinking of taking the course in February, I know it's not a great hiring season time, but I simply can't wait until August to apply for jobs. I hope on finding a job anywhere in Eastern Europe directly after I am finished the course in March.

I wanted to ask those who have taken the course what kind of jobs they landed after the course. I was told by one of the program coordinators that generally the newly qualified teachers teach Business English and start off working about 10 hours a week and have to travel around the city and meet their students at their place of work. Does this sound as bad as I am thinking? It sounds like a tiring and unstable job situation to me. It seems that a lot of people who have taken the course are deliriously happy about the jobs they have gotten. Is their a possibility that you can get a job in a private/public school where the students come to you? I'm not trying to say that I am lazy, I just want a stable job situation where I typically have the same number of teaching hours week by week instead of working 10 hours one week and 40 hours the next.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of newbie work in the entire region (not just Prague) is as mentioned. It's in businesses, teaching professionals, and involves travel around a city. Yes - it can be unstable.

Sure, you might find something in a state or private school, but there are many fewer openings in such situations. You'd have a better chance of landing something like this in a small town - these jobs are VERY rare in Prague in terms of openings for newbies.

Keep in mind that the majority of teachers of English in state run schools are locals (meaning Czech native speakers).

Unfortunately, newbie level teaching in Europe generally ISN'T stable.
Wide eyed wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spiral!

What if you already have two years of teaching experience. I was an ESL teacher in Korea for a year. I also have tutoring and other teaching experiences. Would that help me find a better job once I get a proper TEFL cert?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unfortunately experience with Asian students is VERY different in terms of approaches and methods used, and student expectations and motivation. Most employers are aware of the differences.

Your experience will be a plus - but not likely a big one. It may give you a bit of an edge over true newbies seeking their first jobs, but teachers who've already got experience and reputations in the CR will be ahead of you in line for the 'better' jobs.
mr tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide eyed wanderer wrote:
Is their a possibility that you can get a job in a private/public school where the students come to you?

um, probably not Sad Wink

in all seriousness, it's very much a "not-what-you-know-but-who-you-know" town. newbies gotta hustle - you can't sit and wait for the work to find you. good luck!
gwynnie86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Well, unfortunately experience with Asian students is VERY different in terms of approaches and methods used, and student expectations and motivation. Most employers are aware of the differences.

Your experience will be a plus - but not likely a big one. It may give you a bit of an edge over true newbies seeking their first jobs, but teachers who've already got experience and reputations in the CR will be ahead of you in line for the 'better' jobs.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on how teaching Asian students in different in terms of approaches and methods etc.... just because I've been teaching in Japan for nearly a year, and I'm curious about how different my job might be if I move to Europe!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the students that newbie-level teachers (meaning those with CELTA level qualifications and no prior local contacts or language skills) work with are business people rather than children. Working with children is a growing industry, but most jobs are taken by locals and native speakers with specific quals for kiddie teaching.

Adult businesspeople, and European learners in general, have different motivation for learning and strengthening language skills - it's because they need them to work with international speakers in biz contexts. They are pretty highly results-oriented and are willing to take some risks (without losing dignity) to achieve them.

They expect to have a pretty high degree of say over what they spend their lessons working on and can be quick to complain if the lessons are not felt to be a productive use of their limited time.

Expect to need to tailor lessons more extensively in terms of focus and level for students in Europe - and expect students who are more interested in functionality of skills rather than perfection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: