Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*Advice About Finding a Job Teaching English in Brasil*

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonny.b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: *Advice About Finding a Job Teaching English in Brasil* Reply with quote

Bom Dia,

I am an experienced English teacher from the United States and it has been my dream to one day move to Brasil, learn Portuguese and hopefully find a job as a teacher here.

Recently, I have made some serious progress towards my ultimate goal. I am living in the South of Brasil, my Portuguese has improved significantly, but the only thing missing is work. Unfortunately the experience of looking for a job has not been particularly successful and I am wondering if anyone might have any tips about the visa situation or how difficult the whole process might be? I would greatly appreciate even the smallest bit of advice.

I have spent the last week or so talking with schools, distributing resumes and trying to get my foot in the door. Unfortunately the schools that seem most interested are asking for the proper documents to work here (carteira de trabalho, visto de trabalho, etc.) which, according to my research and what people have told me, is next to impossible to acquire as an English teacher here.

I�m pretty sure I could find work with a school that wont ask me for the proper documentation, but Im wondering if anyone knows how risky that really is and if truly the majority of English (or at least American) teachers are here on expired visas and working illegally. I believe I read once that if one is found working without documentation you risk not being able to return to Brasil for 10 years! Does anyone know if this is true? Either way, Im not particularly fond of the idea of both living and working here illegally. I love Brasil and would do almost anything to stay here but at the same time that seems like an unreasonable amount of loopholes to jump through and mountains of bureaucratic stress.

Again, if anyone has even the slightest idea of how to navigate such a situation, personal experience, or other suggestions I would be incredibly grateful. If it is easier to respond, you can also write in Portuguese and I will do my best to comprehend.

Thank you,

Jonny B.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the work visa, my understanding is the same as yours - "next to impossible" for someone wishing to teach EFL.

Quote:
Unfortunately the schools that seem most interested are asking for the proper documents to work here (carteira de trabalho

I find this a little odd - the schools that have shown interest in me have preferred for me to work off the books (even though I am legal and have CPF). Other foreigners here have told me the same - most schools pay them under the table. Of course in the case of universities or international schools they want you to be legal - but the vast majority of foreigners here are not qualified anyway.

Most of the EFL teachers I know of are either here temporarily or have overstayed their visas (about every five years there is an amnesty).

Quote:
I believe I read once that if one is found working without documentation you risk not being able to return to Brasil for 10 years! Does anyone know if this is true?

Not sure - what I heard was that you had to pay a fine for every day you overstayed (my friend avoided it by crossing by car into Argentina).

Quote:
I love Brasil and would do almost anything to stay here

Marry a Brazilian Very Happy

[/quote]
icehockey23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps, but it might be more helpful than my suggestion to marry a Brazilian Very Happy :

Cultura Inglesa offered a job on a TEFL site last year in Joao Pessoa - (which is a location pretty close to paradise)

The job was offered on TEFL.com so I assume they were either prepared to take on the colossal task of sponsoring a foreign TEFL teacher or were just looking for foreign students who could come on a temporary student exchange visa. Sounds like they want a someone familiar with Cambridge exams so they might actually be willing to sponsor.

This being Brazil, of course the pay offered for the position was completely laughable.

However, it could possibly be a way to get a visa.

The original job was offered here

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=45225

And you can contact Cultura Inglesa in Joao Pessoa here

http://culturainglesapb.com.br/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: