Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAFETY in MEXICO-TIPS & ADVICE!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amaranto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it just seems like guys here are the scum of the Earth sometimes...

Not all the guys, thank goodness Very Happy
Samantha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donato said:
Quote:
just seems like guys here are the scum of the Earth sometimes...

I'm taking "here" to mean Mexico City, again?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha wrote:
donato said:
Quote:
just seems like guys here are the scum of the Earth sometimes...

I'm taking "here" to mean Mexico City, again?

Nah, they are worse in the more rural areas, that has been my observation. Chiapas for example.
Samantha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope this doesn't turn into another 'culture bashing' session. Different regions are quite different, and that goes for things other than just food!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha wrote:
I sure hope this doesn't turn into another 'culture bashing' session. Different regions are quite different, and that goes for things other than just food!

It's not bashing, but the truth is that Mexico has problems. Some want to ignore those issues or sugar-coat them. Not me. I call it like it is.

In a place like Mexico City, you will see more people with education, better jobs/opportunities, cultural awareness etc.

Go to a more rural area and it is possible to see the complete opposite.

In my exp., all over, in every country it's the same, people from bigger citites tend to be better educated, less racist, more open.
Samantha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all have opinions.....you know what they say.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all those who have read my tips & advice. I am sure they will help more than a few folks who are new (or maybe not so new) to living and working in Mexico.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donato wrote:
Been in Mexico 7 months or so. Stereotypes happen fast, and at this point it sounds bad, but my impressions about relationships is that Mexican women are about 1,000 times better than American women, and Mexican men are about 1,000 times worse than American men...

luckily for me I like women...it just seems like guys here are the scum of the Earth sometimes...

Speaking as an American woman, I'm curious to know why you think we are so inferior to the Mexican variety. Just curious . . . Smile
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

In a place like Mexico City, you will see more people with education, better jobs/opportunities, cultural awareness etc.

In my exp., all over, in every country it's the same, people from bigger citites tend to be better educated, less racist, more open.

Be careful here. You can find more people in Mexico City--a lot more! Which is true in every country. But that does not mean that per capita people are better educated, less racist, more open.
Here is a list of The 25 Most Educated Cities in the USA. The largest cities, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, etc. do not make the list. But rather many "more rural areas" do.
Samantha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that, MotherF.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

Be careful here. You can find more people in Mexico City--a lot more! Which is true in every country. But that does not mean that per capita people are better educated, less racist, more open.
Here is a list of The 25 Most Educated Cities in the USA. The largest cities, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, etc. do not make the list. But rather many "more rural areas" do.

Education isn't just what you learn about in books or a school. A person in a place with "good education" but very little exposure to other cultures has learned only what was written by some author, that person's own ideas are only based on second-hand reports.

But a day spent on the subways of New York City is an education on it's own.

Street-smarts, multicultural exposure, hearing other langauges being spoken, seeing people from all over the world, that is an education that no school or book provides.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look at the cities on the list?
What makes you think there are not people from all over the world in those places? A few years ago it came out that Lincoln, Nebraska was the city with the highest number of foriegn born residents per capita.
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

Just like in the US. Last time I was in South Carolina they were selling the John Birch Society newspaper in boxes on more than a few street corners. I don�t think it is so much a country-based thing as an education level thing.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeresaLopez wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

Just like in the US. Last time I was in South Carolina they were selling the John Birch Society newspaper in boxes on more than a few street corners. I don�t think it is so much a country-based thing as an education level thing.

I think it is also a how-homogeneous-is-your-community kind of thing. If your neighbors all look like you and think like you and go to the same church that you do, then you will be apt to be suspicious of those who are different from you. For example, it's hard to be anti-Semitic (though, of course, some will make the effort!) living in a place like New York City where so many Jews live and where you are apt to have Jewish neighbors or your kids may have Jewish schoolmates.
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:

I think it is also a how-homogeneous-is-your-community kind of thing. If your neighbors all look like you and think like you and go to the same church that you do, then you will be apt to be suspicious of those who are different from you. For example, it's hard to be anti-Semitic (though, of course, some will make the effort!) living in a place like New York City where so many Jews live and where you are apt to have Jewish neighbors or your kids may have Jewish schoolmates.

Right, or even funnier is having someone get to know you, and like you, before they find out you are Jewish, Mexican or whatever. Then what do they do? How do YOU fit into the picture with their preconceived notions about what each group is like?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: