Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Prospects in Santiago? Arriving April 2011
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakki81

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Job Prospects in Santiago? Arriving April 2011 Reply with quote

Hi all, I've already read through a few discussions and I know the best time to come is late Feb/early March, however, I'm finishing up my time in South Korea and would like to spend at least one month at home before I attempt Chile.

So my question is, if I arrive in Santiago around mid-April, what do you think my chances are of finding full-time work? I've got a B.S. and a Master's of Education in School Counseling, a TEFL certificate, and two years of public high school teaching experience in South Korea.

I'd also love to know of any highly recommended schools/institutes. I've done some research and have gotten a few names, but it'd be nice to hear some first-hand experience from folks who are there now.

Thanks!
Don Alan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will be fine - you will get something ok.
sophieb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: institutes Reply with quote

I have been working here for the last 18 months.

March is the time for hiring so you will be fine and with your qualifications you will be snapped up in no time.

You won't earn a fortune though, mainly because all of the cancellations. Generally if they cancel 2 hours before you don't get paid.

I earn an average of 600,000 pesos a month and that's with a lot of cancellations, but I was quite lucky and got many students in one company which worked out very well and its out of the city so I get paid really well. On balance, I think the average salary is around 400,000 - 500,000 working around 25 hours a week.

I wouldn't go for institutes paying less than 7,000 per hour.

Let me know if you need any other info!
Don Alan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you work?
kakki81

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info sophieb! I'm still leaning heavily towards Chile...I'd started considering B.A. Argentina but it looks like the job market isn't so good, and Costa Rica as well, but from what I've read you can barely go out at night in San Jose because of the crime, so I didn't want that.

Do you live in Santiago? What's it like crime/safety wise by the way?

So I may be arriving closer to May 1st, do you think I'll still get enough work? I don't need to make a fortune or anything, just enough to live on as learning Spanish is the most important thing to me. I'll come with a few thousand so I should have a (very small) cushion.

Thanks again and I'd love to keep in touch as the time gets closer, especially if you'll still be there then?
olly.w

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santiago is a stunning city.... very safe... lots of work... I worked for the instituto britanico.... great school
kakki81

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's good to hear. I'll look up that school - what ages do you teach and how is your work day/week structured? Are they hiring at all?
Don Alan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Chilean person thinks Santiago is a safe city. Maybe some 'gringos' tucked away in a bubble might think so.
Don Alan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And stunning! Good grief! I lived in the centre of Santiago for four years, it's an ugly polluted city.

If you said Chile has stunning landscapes etc I would totally agree.

Are you on the PR for Instituto Britanico? I had an interview with them and was offered the job after my first year in Santiago but turned it down because they pay as little as possible which is sad cause they pass themselves off as one of the best and most reputable institutions.
sakakisins

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are amongst the most reputable along with Instituto Chileno NorteAmericano (which I've hear doesn't pay so well either) and Wallstreet Institute.
Tronwell is a newcomer, but quickly gaining prestige in the area.
olly.w

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, just giving my honest opinion. I had a wonderful time and I do think that stunning is a very apt description of the city. I also found it very safe compared to say London, or Rome. As for your rather childish barb about living in a gringo bubble, well I feel sorry for you. This is supposed to be a site to share and help fellow teachers
Don Alan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My honest opinion too and I hope it helps other teachers to make a balanced judgement. I know Santiago well and moved around many areas, many more than most foreigners are exposed too. My first year there working in an academy, I noted that the teachers tend to circulate around the better parts of Santiago, Providencia, Las Condes etc but really that is not typical grass roots Santiago and thus my comment - gringo bubble. Most gringo teachers don't really know Santiago or the Chilean people, they tend to hang about with other gringos. I don't claim to know it all but I am married to a Chilean, have lived Chilean family life, have worked and travelled in poor and rich part of the city, been a school teacher, then a university teacher, studied at a Chilean university for two years.

And my honest opinion is that apart from a few small parts of the city it really is quite ugly and no-one can deny it's very polluted - scientific fact.
Cat77

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kakki,
Here are a list of institutes that I know about
The Fischer Institute-it's like business English-I worked there. They are nice, they give you a lot of freedom. I liked it for awhile but Business English isn't really my thing.
Communicorps-I have heard mixed reviews. Some people really like it, others don't
English First
Nortamericano
Speakeasy-this one is a smaller institute, but I have heard good things about the people that run it. It's another business English place-to me that can get a little repetitive but it's okay.
I know people who have worked in all of these institutes and they like them well enough. The only one I might be a little leery of is Bridgelinguatec. My roommate worked there last year and she had some difficulties, but again I think it just depends on personal preference. Her problem was that they didn't give her enough hours. I do have one friend that likes working there because she can work there while having private classes. It'll depend on what you're looking for. I don't think you should have any problems finding a job in April. That's a good time.
Good luck
jamesart9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Private tuition? Reply with quote

Hello, does anybody know if it us possible to find private tuition work on the coastal towns with a Celta and a 3month tourist visa? I an looking to just mak send meet while bring able to spend any separate time surfing. Any constructive opinions or advice welcome. Apologies for typing errors, I an using a small internet phone with small keys and predictive text.
Dia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesart-

being on a tourist visa doesn;t necessarily prevent you from getting a job, though if you are only actually planning to stay the 3 months, i would think it might be a little difficult because organized institutes may not be willing to hire someone for such a short period of time, and for both institutes and private students, you usually start out with very few hours which usually go up gradually as you get recommended to friends of your students or your institute picks up new clients. i would think your 3 month limit might throw some employers and students off as theyd soon have to replace you. working for some companies independently might be difficult on a tourist visa, but you might design and propose a 30 hour course to companies nearby.

keep in mind that many coastal towns have a fairly low population in cold seasons, and many might be too small to have official language institutes

also, a good market might be surf instructors and others of the like who might have lots of international visitors in their classes. many of them might be looking for just a few classes to catch them up on basics and vocab rather than a long term teacher.

my advice is that you let every single person you meet know you;re looking for students, and get some flyers up asap.

translation might also be a good idea as its project based so your temporary status wont matter, and you can do it after surf and teaching hours...

good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: