Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Educational documents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
also in saudi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Educational documents Reply with quote

In order to prepare the employment contract, my potential employer is asking for "ratification and authentication" of my "educational documents." What exactly do they want? Which documents? Transcripts, Diplomas? Originals, copies?
millie18

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually it means that they have to be authenticated by your home country's foreign affairs dept. As for which ones, again usually, the degrees/certifications required for the job -

I would recommend you contact your new employer and ask them to spell it out more clearly or ask to be put in touch with a current employee who is from your home country to make sure you are doing what is required and not wasting time and money.
paperback

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Educational documents Reply with quote

also in saudi wrote:
In order to prepare the employment contract, my potential employer is asking for "ratification and authentication" of my "educational documents." What exactly do they want? Which documents? Transcripts, Diplomas? Originals, copies?

You need to get your original documents (diplomas, transcripts etc.) notarized and authenticated by a lawyer. Then you need to get them stamped by the Qatar Embassy where you live. Then when you come to Qatar you get them stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the Corniche, near Souk Waqif. This is the procedure I know. There may be other steps now. Look at www.qatarliving.com and check the information they have on processing documents. You can also check the Qatar government website it has information on documents too. Very informative.

http://english.mofa.gov.qa/

Good luck.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are NO lawyers involved in this process.... only a notary public. Laughing (Il'hamdulillah!! If lawyers are brought in, the price will skyrocket. It is already too expensive...)

Authentication and notarization is normally done of copies of your original degrees. (though the NP often looks to make sure that you are using copies) In all the other countries, it normally just your graduation certificates, not transcripts. You need to confirm this information with the employer.

VS
also in saudi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS -

What do you mean by "graduation certificates?"
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those fancy bits of paper that your university gives you when you graduate. Stamps and seals and signatures... some people frame them and hang them on their walls.

VS
also in saudi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then

Graduation certificate = diploma ?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear also in saudi,

More likely degree (since diploma, at least in the US, is usually used for high school) and/or certifications (e.g. CELTA, DELTA, etc.)

Regards,
John
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
There are NO lawyers involved in this process.... only a notary public. Laughing (Il'hamdulillah!! If lawyers are brought in, the price will skyrocket. It is already too expensive...)

Not everyone is from the USA. ALL public notaries in the UK are lawyers. I believe this is also the case in Australia and Ireland, and probably most other Commonwealth countries too (not sure about Canada). And yes, their fees are horrendous.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
ALL public notaries in the UK are lawyers.

Shhhh.. don't give ours any ideas. Right now a notary public is usually one of the secretaries. In fact, we have had one as a member here. Cool My landlord is one. I haven't paid money for a notarization for years.

VS
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
PattyFlipper wrote:
ALL public notaries in the UK are lawyers.

Shhhh.. don't give ours any ideas. Right now a notary public is usually one of the secretaries. In fact, we have had one as a member here. Cool My landlord is one. I haven't paid money for a notarization for years.

VS

The thing that REALLY irritated me, the last time I had documents notarized in the UK, was that the dithering old fool didn't have a clue what to write; as clearly he was so rarely asked to notarize academic qualifications. After a few minutes of watching him rummaging through a drawer looking for his 'handbook', I just rattled off some generic legalese and told him to write that (not totally unlike giving Ali and Abdullah a dictation exercise, now I think of it). He still had the temerity to charge me about five pints of blood for the privilege, however.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frustrating, isn't it? Especially as your "notarization" is as useless as ours at proving that one actually did attend some university somewhere and get a degree. Rolling Eyes Our notary is only able to swear to one fact, that you had proven that you were "patty flipper" and signed something in front of them.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: