Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is GOOD where you are ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: What is GOOD where you are ? Reply with quote

Here is something to make us all think positive. You see, that dreadful grouch scot47 has turned over a new leaf and is now touchy-feely be-nice-to-everyone.

What ONE thing can you do in your country of residence that you can't do back home in wherever. (And let's keep it clean please - no farting cats or doggie doo-doo)

For me in Saudi Arabia it is going to the barber and having a "wet shave". No longer possible in the UK because of labour costs. (Or is it paranoia about AIDS ?)
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: It's the beer, stupid! Reply with quote

Howdy Scot47:

Here in Russia, I can get a cold, half-liter draft beer in a bar for only $1. Cool

Down on the Volga River, where beer tents abound during the summer months, that same beer is only 75 cents. And ... after drinking myself silly, I can take a taxi home for one buck as well.

Regards,
keNt

Disclaimer: The author does not endorse or condone the abuse of regulated substances. Parental discretion is advised when purchasing or consuming products which are known to cause physical addiction, weirdness and/or bad breath.

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
richard ame

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Only one thing you can do??? Reply with quote

Hi Scot
Yeah I like the wet shave service in Turkish barbers too plus all the extras you get like the massage and the manicures and pedicures ,I kid you not !! Then how about that freshly cooked food on the streets that the public health people would have heart attacks about,what about those people who clean your shoes on the street and charge you buttons for doing it ,have you seen the service you get at a petrol station no such thing as self servicehere they even wash your car while you go for a cuppa or a meal ,no charge?? I like the way people welcome you at even the most humble of eating places and fuss over you as though you were a big spender and an even bigger tipper. Service with a smile definitely something you don't get back home . I could go on ad nausum but I'm sure others have a lot more to offer ,not just one thing .
arioch36

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of decent beer in China for 25 cents a bottle (at the restaurant) Some places are learning to have it draft. My favorite Beijing restaurant has a decent draft for a tad over $1.
(Downside is sometimes having to drink Bai jiu, a white poison every bit as bad as vodka
The head massage and foot massage ( When the girl really know what she is doing) It makes it worth it getting the haircut.
Being ignored by the administration. No hassles, teach whatever you want. Teaching a clooege in China is almost as good as teaching at a university in the USA, without selling your soul for a PHd. Much better then teaching in a high school.

What I miss most about the USA... getting in my car, driving on the highway for an hour and a half, listening to music, and spending the weekend at a quiet lake with a few friends
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Japan I can sit back in a movie theater and sip on a refreshing cold
beer or 3.
Aah.Nice. Very Happy
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of many reasons for me to feel so well in CHina is that although most employers are congenital liars, many ordinary folks are touchingly honest in certain respects.
Ask a girl why she looks so unhappy, she will be glad to confide in you!
Can you ask any Westerner that???
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it my imagination, or is happiness for you guys really so simple as cheap beer? Smile (excluding those of you in the kingdom, of course)

Personally I don't touch the stuff and couldn't tell you what it costs anywhere, but I am always glad to see happy people - as long as they are not tooooo happy.

BTW Scot. It makes me happy to see the new positive you. Laughing
gerard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent---What is Russian brew like??? I used to drink a Polish beer back home can't remember the name off hand. An acquired taste!!! Yes beer is a highlite here. Tsingtao (better than Heineken) is here for pennies. Ahh living well is the best revenge.

But one can drink good beer at home. I would say cycling down the street for a 1-hour foot massage is the first thing that come to mind. And cycling without taking your life in your hands as you would at home.
shirley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's the fresh food outdoor markets every day of the week (except Sunday). Country fresh eggs, fresh spices and wonderful produce. Public transport is fantastic and the medical care is excellent and cost next to nothing or nothing at all. Living without a car is the best part, you can walk most everywhere. The overall healthy lifestyle is wonderful.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Good grief Reply with quote

Dear scot47.
Is this really a " new leaf " or are you doing a " Nixon " on us ( each " reincarnation " of that persistent pol was proclaimed " The New Nixon "; as Dire Straits once put it: " Say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss ). OK, I'm thinking about what's " good " about Saudi Arabia. I'm still thinking. Hey, don't rush me. Most of it seems to be " negative " goodness: no taxes, no bills, no car needed ( work's a ten-minute walk away ). But hold on - there's the weather ( well, from about mid-November up to around now, anyway ) and hmmm, how about that great Turkish restaurant on Thalateen St.? What can I do here that I can't back home? That's easy: save money.
Regards,
John
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: reply to Gerard and veiled sentiments Reply with quote

Dear Gerard:

Russian beer can be VERY good, if it's served cold. Funny thing about Europeans; they often prefer it at room temperature, which I do not like. On the plus side for me; Russian beer is cheap and often brewed fresh and without preservatives, which tend to give me a headache.

Sorry veiled sentiments; men love their beer! Oh yeah, and Happy Meals, too. Wink

Warm wishes,
kEnT
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Senor Momento Reply with quote

OK - slight lapse into senility there. It wasn't, of course, Dire Straits. It was The Who: " We Won't Get Fooled Again ". Is it time for my sponge-bath, nurse?
Regards,
John
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: What's Good? Reply with quote

The bath complexes--which offer everything from swimming pools in three different temperatures to every sort of massage imaginable.

The outdoor market behind my apartment building, where farmers come in and sell homemade goat cheese and garlic & parpika-laced smoke sausage.

The old ladies at the train stations who sell freshly-cut flowers. They never speak English, I can't speak a lot Hungarian, we all speak a little German, and somehow we get the transactions done.

Any dessert made with poppyseeds.

The palinka --a lethal brew which is sometimes described as brandy, sometimes as vodka, always potent--especially at the restaurant down our street which makes its own.

The always-challenging Hungarian students, who won't be fobbed off with a lame answer, and will not hesitate to tell you when they think you're wrong.

Real Budweiser--not the American stuff. I know it's not Hungarian, but it's cheap and plentiful here.
omar805

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: beer and skittles Reply with quote

When I was in Oman, I had a favourite barber who was from Bangladesh.He charged 400 baisas (about $US1) for a haircut, scalp massage and facial, eyebrow trim and he even trimmed your nosehairs! Also, there was a wonderful Indian restaurant where you could get a Chicken Tikka Marsala with hot naan bread for one rial ( just a little over US$2). The down side was the price of beer which was only available at the big hotels and was expensive.
andrew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: POSITIVE Reply with quote

I RECALL EATING THE SCHOOL LUNCH WITH FELLOW TURKISH COLLEAGUES WHO TURNED UP THEIR NOSES AT BREAD THE WAS BAKED FOR THAT MORNING'S BREAKFAST
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: