Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PG Dip TESOL or MA TESOL better for teaching in Oz?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejh263

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: PG Dip TESOL or MA TESOL better for teaching in Oz? Reply with quote

Hi there,
I am about to complete my Postgrad Dip in TESOL in UK, and am planning to emigrate to Australia in next couple of years. I have had some contact with TAFE colleges in Australia who have all said my qualifications/exp will be fine to get job over there. What I would like to know is if anyone has any idea of the difference in pay between PG Dip qualified teachers and MA qualified. Is it a huge jump? I can go on to do my MA TESOL now when I finish this, but trying to work out if it is really necessary to find good job/rates of pay in the future in Australia, or if diploma will suffice?
Any advice welcome.
Thank you.
Def

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm not really sure what a PG Dip TESOL is - does that qualify you as a classroom teacher somewhere else?

Regardless, the MA probably isn't too beneficial. A lot of the MA courses in Australia, that are education based, specify you need at least a couple of years teaching experience before you can take them anyway. So most graduate teachers have their undergraduate degree, and their teaching degree, and that's it. Which is all you need.

If the PG Dip TESOL is some other name for a teaching degree where you're from, that's fine. If it's not... then regardless of what TAFEs have said, it'll be pretty hard to find a good job in Australia. And impossible to work in a primary/high-school. (And I mean that literally - it's a legal requirement.)

You really need some formal teaching qualification, if you want to work somewhere worthwhile.

As far as private language schools go... I've got null clue, really. Razz
ejh263

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the info.
It is a Postgraduate Diploma in TESOL - I also have a CELTA + nearly 10 years of experience teaching in private schools and UK further education colleges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: