Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA or bust? Old France hands - pls advise.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsherter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: CELTA or bust? Old France hands - pls advise. Reply with quote

Salut les momes!

Im an American with dual French nationality looking at trying to get ESL work in the old country (new to the ESL scene). Im armed only with an Oxford 60 hour cert, with no supervised teaching hours - Im also a health educator with 5 years of experience doing presentation type teaching.

Any thoughts on how indispensible the CELTA, per-se in fact is?

Merci-all

Enfant-de-la-patrie
Gauguin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: inlingua Reply with quote

Hi dsherter,

Your ruse worked I looked at your second posting first.

Congrats on getting your CELTA, welcome to the third oldest profession in the world.

Try 'inlingua' they take teachers of all ages and have flexable working hours although you may need to start on a part time basis at first.

http://www.inlingua.com

They train you in the 'inlingua' method which is ok and after a year you get refuned the cost. I had 4 good years with them honing my teaching skills.

Which part of France are you heading to?

Gauguin
vashdown2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to look for work in Paris- ESL or otherwise- is to grab the FUSAC in any Angophone bar/resto,etc.... Or www.fusac.fr

There are Pages and Pages of ESL want ads in the FUSAC. You'll have your pick- thanks to your 2nd passport.
medusa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dserter,

The CELTA won't guarantee you a job in France, it might look nice on your cv and of course it is a great certificate to have but in France, the majority of language schools have their own training scheme, as the previous post says. Inlingua, Berlitz and the like all have their own method of teaching and if you have the personality they will 'mould' you to their techniques.

I don't know how relevent a CELTA is in other countries but don't think you have to spend all of that money just to get a part time (or full time) position as a "formateur d'anglais". Generally they ask that you be a native speaker, and have a natural teaching 'vibe' about you, even if you haven't taught before.

I see you've also posted on the Italy board: So what's is going to be?? Italy or France Smile

Good luck in your job hunt
PeterBar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual national French - OK, that avoids all the major problems.

But is your dual nationality matched with bilingualism?

Because, if you present yourself as a French National, interviewers will assume that you are a fluent French speaker.

Also a French national presenting themselves as a "native speaker" of English might have one or three problems of credibility.
Nmarie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't dsherter simply present him/herself as an American with dual nationality?? All that the schools really want to know is whether the person is a native English speaker with the legal right to work in France.
Gauguin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Why in deed? Reply with quote

Maybe because he is new to the teaching world and is asking around for advice. Maybe, he would like to present himself with a little more professionalism than some one who talks about people in the the third person, as if they were not there, who knows?

gauguin
dsherter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhgkhkhh;khjkhjlkhj

Last edited by dsherter on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Nmarie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe, he would like to present himself with a little more professionalism than some one who talks about people in the the third person, as if they were not there, who knows?

gauguin

Nothing to do with professionalism...It wasn't the OP who raised the issue -- I simply responded with a general question/comment to all.
cwgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medusa wrote:
Hello dserter,

The CELTA won't guarantee you a job in France, it might look nice on your cv and of course it is a great certificate to have but in France, the majority of language schools have their own training scheme, as the previous post says. Inlingua, Berlitz and the like all have their own method of teaching and if you have the personality they will 'mould' you to their techniques.

I don't know how relevent a CELTA is in other countries but don't think you have to spend all of that money just to get a part time (or full time) position as a "formateur d'anglais". Generally they ask that you be a native speaker, and have a natural teaching 'vibe' about you, even if you haven't taught before.

I see you've also posted on the Italy board: So what's is going to be?? Italy or France Smile

Good luck in your job hunt

Good to know (I have a TESOL not a CELTA). Is it still the same in 2011? Or has CELTA become the 'norm'. Do the schools still do their own training? Do they expect you to do this this while you're working, or is this on your own time before you hit the classrooms for them?

Thanks.
riverboat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big schools like Inlingua and Berlitz do their own training (for which you are not paid), but a lot of the smaller ones don't. You might be given a couple of lessons to observe, and spend a few hours being inducted by one of the senior teachers, but it's hardly a comprehensive training programme. They'd expect you to be ready to teach before you start work.

At the school where I work, plus the majority of others where I interviewed at least, this was the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: