Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Yamanah college/ Interlink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Al Yamanah college/ Interlink Reply with quote

They are advertising on Dave's. Anyone know anything about them?

The ad doesn't make clear if it's a male-only gig, though since (I think) the training is geered towards preparing students for study abroad, you would expect them to be all male.

Also seems like they want only,or mainly American teachers as they interview in Colorado and talk about "Peace Corps" experience.

They also want applicants to include "A statement on teaching philosophy"! Ooh-er!
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Far seeing one Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,
Do you mean Al Yamamah College in Riyadh? Don't have any personal knowledge but here are some web links:

http://www.alyamamah.edu.sa/

http://eslus.com/yamamah.html

Regards,
John
P.S. I couldn't find any mention of whether the place has women students but I guess you could contact them. And it wouldn't surprise me if it was strictly male, despite what would then be the unintended irony of the college's name:

"The region was named after Al-Yamamah, the beautiful, blue-eyed daughter of Sahem Ben Tassem, leader of the Tassem tribe. Legend has it that when Toba, the King of Yemen invaded the region, he was warned to use caution when approaching Joa because Al-Yamamah had special vision which allowed her to see in the distance, way beyond ordinary men and women.
The soldiers approached with great caution and covered themselves with tree branches to avoid detection, but they still could not escape observation by the keen-sighted girl whose vision was equally accurate by day or night. Al-Yamamah saw the men coming and she told the tribe leaders that the Yemeni army was close to their home, but there was no time to defend their land. Toba and his army conquered Joa, and captured blue-eyed Al-Yamamah. Toba was so impressed with the girl's character and powers that he ordered his tribes to name Joa after her. From that day on, the region has been called Al-Yamamah.
In the Arabic heritage, Al-Yamamah, the girl with blue eyes and extraordinary vision, is a symbol of prudence and vision. Al-Yamamah College, intent on creating a campus that is an oasis for learning, is proud to bear the name of this legendary figure known for her keen insight and vision and dedicated to the protection and maintenance of her ancestral home. Al-Yamamah College is committed to expanding the knowledge, prudence, and vision of its students for the welfare and prosperity of the community and country."
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links,John.

Appears to be a male-only gig though I couldn't be sure. The only photos were of thobes and schmaghs but, of course, they wouldn't have photos of female students even if they existed - which does not appear to be the case.

And what was that Al Yamanah slapper doing flashing her baby blue eyes at those men, anyway? where are the muttawwain when you need them?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: No ogling allowed Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,
What was she doing? Probably the same thing all those veiled girls/ladies at the malls do - checking out males on display. Not even the Society for the Preservation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice can curb human nature. As for your question:

"where are the muttawwain when you need them?"

Can't say, I fear. I've never needed them.

Regards,
John
Belmont

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Al Yamanah college/ Interlink Reply with quote

Cleopatra wrote:
They are advertising on Dave's. Anyone know anything about them?

The ad doesn't make clear if it's a male-only gig, though since (I think) the training is geered towards preparing students for study abroad, you would expect them to be all male.

Also seems like they want only,or mainly American teachers as they interview in Colorado and talk about "Peace Corps" experience.

They also want applicants to include "A statement on teaching philosophy"! Ooh-er!

Hi Cleo...I sent them an email asking for details about their teaching program and got the same response: ".....teaching philosophy, etc." Which was pretty strange I thought. I only asked about salary and housing. From what they said in response, they only want teaching couples, and people who share their "vision". I may be way off base, but I think they are looking for Muslims only, or people who fit into some kind of very narrow category. Please keep me posted on what you find out. I'm really curious. Smile
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Teaching couples" eh?

Well that would indicate that they do have some female students.

As for that "vision" lark, well, Isuppose it looks good on paper! I would doubt they're only looking for Muslims, though, as Interlink is an american company.
Mark100

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, there are a few jobs posted for Saudi and all of them avoid mentioning salary.
This rings alarm bells for me.
They also mention a 45 age limit.
I am already over the hill at 46!
Belmont

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: that new college Reply with quote

Cleopatra wrote:
"Teaching couples" eh?

As for that "vision" lark, well, Isuppose it looks good on paper! I would doubt they're only looking for Muslims, though, as Interlink is an american company.

Nitwits live everywhere! Laughing
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: update on Interlink / Al-Yamamah Reply with quote

Just some added info that recently trickled into my ken:

Note that the $35-40k is for *40* weeks of teaching. They want you to do an 8-week summer session in addition to two full regular semesters.

There is an option for a housing allowance for second-year teachers: 30,000 riyals p.a. for rent, furniture, utilities, everything. That's $8,000 USD per year, or $666.67 per month.

They are, IMHO, way over the top with the teaching-ideology bit. It sounds to me as though they are trying to do a cultural-missionary trip on the Saudis.: Going to teach them how to think and all of that Great timing, huh?

They also have expectations re. extra, vaguely specified duties in addition to the normal 0800-1600 on-site times. They want YOU to be flexible.

All in all, the deal does not seem to compare favorably to IPA, KFUPM, or the Royal Commission gigs on a what-you-get-for-what-you-do basis.

They do give you a hefty baggage allowance and a few perks such as rides to work. Smile

BD
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleopatra wrote:
"Teaching couples" eh?

They do not. Nor do they pay for children's schooling, so the teaching-couples bit is a bit odd.

Come to beautiful Riyadh -- leave the kids at home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: