Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILA Vietnam - Post Only Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILA'S website says they offer a relocation allowance. Anybody know how much this is?
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kornan DeKobb wrote:
Skyblue2 wrote:
I was hoping someone who had actually worked for them might have some insight.

I was there. I stand by my comment.

Sorry, I didn't notice that. Cheers hombre.
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadlift wrote:
You need to look after yourself, and you're better off for it.

I don't know ... I could do without spending 25% of my income on accommodation.
deadlift

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do without it too.

But, call me cynical if you like, I shudder to think what kind of accommodation would be provided by most of the schools here.
baygioimdi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not a high turnover of managers at ILA. No one has provided any evidence to the contrary.

Cheers
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why are there several ads a year for DOS and ADOS positions?
baygioimdi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the enquiry.

If one understands how schools pay for the advertisements and if one reads the ads in detail and when the ads are posted, one would have a clear understanding of the facts. In addition, if one has ever worked at ILA, one would also know that there is not a high turnover of academic managers, coordinators etc . For example, there are 3 or 4 senior academic managers at ILA. They recently replaced one of the senior academic managers, he was at ILA for about nine years. Furthermore, if one has an elementary knowledge of the business world, companies including schools pay close attention to their managers, supervisors etc. They provide them with better pay, benefits etc compared to regular staff or teachers, one can like it or hate it but welcome to planet reality.

Regarding the recruitment advertisements on this website, one can pay for a single ad or if one wants to purchase numerous ads 20, 50, 100 etc, one can negotiate the price etc etc ,again welcome to planet business. As stated above, read the ads in detail, a lot of ILA's ads for teachers, managers etc do not change from one ad to another, in fact some of the info. in the ads do not change, and the info is not updated etc. One should also evaluate when the ads are placed. Why would a school advertise for teachers etc for positions which are available in 2 months and have the exact ad two or three days later, and another ad in a few days? I hope one can read through the above lines and understand the issue.

Of course, one can also read from other posters concerning ILA. For example, one poster stated that " I was there". According to this persons previous posts, he enrolled and passed the CELTA course at ILA. ILA for whatever reason did not employ him after he completed the CELTA. Following that, there was a torrent of disinformation and outright fabrication about ILA from this poster, this is my opinion. I may be wrong?
Why, not because he was there but because he was not offered a teaching position.

Anyway, do not believe a single word of my post. One needs to do their own research and determine what the "truth" is. However, it's always best to get different points of views and then come to a conclusion.

Cheers
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baygioimdi wrote:

Of course, one can also read from other posters concerning ILA. For example, one poster stated that " I was there". According to this persons previous posts, he enrolled and passed the CELTA course at ILA. ILA for whatever reason did not employ him after he completed the CELTA. Following that, there was a torrent of disinformation and outright fabrication about ILA from this poster, this is my opinion. I may be wrong?
Why, not because he was there but because he was not offered a teaching position.

You are talking about me, and I have fabricated NOTHING. I stand by everything I have said. In fact, I still have a copy of the webpage they were lying on and which they were forced to change because I called them on it.

Yes, I may be bitter after enrolling in their course, and them using two hours of my course time to beg us to please apply with them after the course is over, watch ads being placed and new teachers hired every month, and then not getting hired after coming to Vietnam specifically to take their course, but that does NOT mean I fabricated anything.

The truth is I am an experienced teacher, and they prefer to hire on newbies who do not know any better. Don't take just my word for that; read what others have posted.
baygioimdi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments.

Let's look at the facts. Yes, you were there, but what were you doing at ILA?
You were enrolled in the CELTA course. You have never worked at ILA, you have been living in Vietnam for a short time and it sounds like that you don't know anyone who works at ILA since I don't remember you making statements about ILA quoting ILA teachers. Therefore, one would conclude that your knowledge concerning ILA is extremely limited.

I have read other posters' comments about ILA and most of them are questions about the organisation rather than comments from teachers who are working there or have taught at ILA.

You are upset at ILA because they did not employ you after the CELTA. ILA and other schools who offer the CELTA etc do not owe their
CELTA students a job. Yes, they may have misled you and others who took their course on their website. However, if one has experience in the real world, one should understand about marketing and not believe every word one reads.

You are correct that ILA hires new CELTA graduates. However, they also employ experienced teachers for its adult programmes. In addition, ILA and most professional schools pay close attention to hiring teachers who are older because they generally bring more baggage etc with them and are more difficult to manage. ILA may have made a good decision on not employing you based on the above and your comments about them on this thread.

Best of luck to you but please remove the chip on your shoulder.

Cheers
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is now unlocked and available for postings. If there is a repeat of any inappropriate behavior that caused the thread to be locked such as addressing the messenger and not the message, responsible members will be permanently banned to include ISPs.
yogurtpooh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I even apply to ILA if I don't have a CELTA, but rather a 120 hour TESOL from California and would prefer to stick with American English?
VN-Teecha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yogurtpooh wrote:
Should I even apply to ILA if I don't have a CELTA, but rather a 120 hour TESOL from California and would prefer to stick with American English?

I know of a few other teachers at ILA who didn't do CELTA but completed similar 120 hour courses.

I guess the website says it best:
Code:
Qualification in English Language Teaching (CELTA or equivalent): Your certification must be from a recognised provider, a minimum of a four week course (120 hours) and have an observed teaching component with feedback. Any on-line certificates or distance learning courses will not be counted towards certification unless they contain a substantial classroom component.
yogurtpooh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tesol certificate is 120 hours but it certainly didn't take 4 weeks long to compete...
pbMunkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: TEFL certification Reply with quote

I'm taking a 100 hr 5 week course to get my TEFL certificate. Would ILA just flat out deny me because it's not the 120 hr course? Anyone encountered or have experience in this?
MarkM

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here done the DELTA at ILA Vietnam? According to the website, they only offer it to their teachers. So does this mean you have to get a job with them first?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: