Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Czech travel visa question

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tideout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Czech travel visa question Reply with quote

I'm a US citizen flying into Czech. in a couple of weeks and it looks like from their website that the US is an exempt country as far as a Visa goes. I have plans to buy a bus ticket while in Prague for another European country and then to fly out for the US.
I'll have my internet reciept for my future flight from the 3rd country but will I need anything else for a smooth entry into Czech.? I'll be there about a week.

I'm hoping to poke around and see if there's a one in a million coming up job opening too..... a long shot I'm sure.

Thanks for any ideas. Very Happy
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Czech border guards have never even asked me to see a return ticket. If you've got a receipt for one, that should be fine.
tideout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - good to know.
Sigma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can ask for proof of insurance as well, but they've never asked me.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as you're in and out in less than 90 days, you should be fine.
tideout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I won't have travel insurance but it sounds like the odds are pretty good on getting in......
Mercury Morris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: You're American, stop worrying Reply with quote

To the O.P.: you probably don't know it but many of the posters on this thread have a hidden agenda of scaring off Americans from coming to Prague....either to work or just visit. Its shameful and unnecessary.

The Czechs LOVE Americans and Canadians. You will be welcomed in CZ with open arms and friendliness. No customs agent, border guard or anybody else for that matter will give you ANY hassle coming to CZ as a tourist.

Sadly many of the regular posters in the CZ forums have a vandetta against Americans. Completely unfounded and totally uncool.
tideout

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: You're American, stop worrying Reply with quote

Mercury Morris wrote:
To the O.P.: you probably don't know it but many of the posters on this thread have a hidden agenda of scaring off Americans from coming to Prague....either to work or just visit. Its shameful and unnecessary.

The Czechs LOVE Americans and Canadians. You will be welcomed in CZ with open arms and friendliness. No customs agent, border guard or anybody else for that matter will give you ANY hassle coming to CZ as a tourist.

Sadly many of the regular posters in the CZ forums have a vandetta against Americans. Completely unfounded and totally uncool.

It's too bad to whatever degree that may be true. I will say that at times, the negative perspective has been earned. I also understand that a lot of Yanks and Brits have gone to Czech. for what amounts to non-stop drunkeness etc.. so I wouldn't be surprised that some of the locals are a bit past fed up. I've come to a point where I avoid youth hostels if at all possible as they are often not much more than drunk tanks. Maybe it's the fact I'm a little older than some doing the ESL thing - I'm not in the backpacker mentaility really.
Thanks for your perspective though, it's always good to hear the other side of things!
Regards.
Sigma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: You're American, stop worrying Reply with quote

Mercury Morris wrote:

Question

The information posted here was unbiased, so I don't see anything that could be perceived as having a vendetta.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would any of us have a vendetta against Americans? there is no evidence of this. The Czech Rep, like much of the EU, has laws that favour UK teachers - it's useful and important for teachers from other regions to be aware of this, particularly on a competitive job market.

Of course it is absolutely true that a non-UK citizen coming in as a tourist is not going to have any problems at the border. The CR processes literally millions of tourists through every year.

It's leaving that can be problematic, if one has been inside the zone for over 90 days.

Further, we are not advising would-be tourists here, but newbie teacher candidates. Different laws and standards apply when one expects to live/work in a country longer term, obviously.

Sadly many of the regular posters in the CZ forums have a vandetta against Americans. Completely unfounded and totally uncool

Exactly what information given was inaccurate?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: