Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SHELTER FROM THE STORM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAPIVARA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: SHELTER FROM THE STORM Reply with quote

Today I read in BBC that the Grand Prix could be canceled and be moved to another country if the unrest continues. What has happened with peaceful, friendly Bahrain, which we consider as a safe haven while working across the causeway?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that is a rhetorical question...

Sad days ahead.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancel any visits. Try Qassim or Buraidah instead. I hear that you will get a big welcome from the Pious Ones.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What has happened with peaceful, friendly Bahrain, which we consider as a safe haven while working across the causeway?

what has happened is that the puppet the usa put in there 42 years ago and who gets billions of $s of grants annually has used live ammunition, tanks, etc against his own people in a desperate attempt to cling to power and keep the monarchy in place. but the people, in the end, as mubarak found out, will always prevail. inshallah.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloomyGumi wrote:
what has happened is that the puppet the usa put in there 42 years ago

Huh? You can blame lots of stuff on the US... but that's pretty much bull. More accurate you might blame the Brits for keeping them in power. The Al-Khalifas were in power in the 1800's and it was the Brits that made a treaty to support this power and "grant" them the title of "rulers of Bahrain."

That was, of course, what kept Iran from taking them over. But the Bahraini Shia would have likely backed that at the time.

VS
2buckets

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 VS

My understanding is that when the Brits decided to cease being the policeman of the Gulf, (late 1960s), the Shah agreed to takeover and part of the deal was that Iran would cede rights to Bahrain in return for rights to the Greater and Lesser Tumbs and Abu Moosa islands, (now claimed by the UAE). This deal caused riots in Shahjah who had nominal control of the islands.

Rumor has it that Hezbollah is participating in the troubles, wonder who is behind that? HMMMMM?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of rumor... mostly unsubstantiated... the UAE has claimed the two islands for as long as Iran has... and Iran claims Bahrain... and Bahrain claims part of Qatar's gas fields... and... and... and... Laughing

As usual the past is all about oil. But their current problems are not... I would say. It is the extreme inequity between the two groups... just as exists in Saudi...

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahrain and Qatar came to an agreement not so long ago about demarcation of gas and oil fields. They have even exchanged Ambassadors. For years there was the absurdity that they did not recognise each other's existence.

Last edited by scot47 on Sun May 01, 2011 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can blame lots of stuff on the US

yes that's right. You said it best!
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
+1 VS

...but even with that bonus point the Pedant Factor is still hovering at about 89%.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rumor has it that Hezbollah is participating in the troubles, wonder who is behind that? HMMMMM?

probably the mainstream news you are watching.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear gloomyGumi,

I see - so, someone who actually knows the correct background/history is a "pedant."

There's also a term for someone who talks/writes about current events but knows little or nothing about the background/history.

Regards,
John
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you seem pedantic as well. finding something to correct all the time is either pedantry or obsessive-compulsive. All I was saying was that what has happened in Bahrain is that it is right now no longer that peaceful place as it was before. That was my point. and I think its clear that was the only point, that it is no longer peaceful as it was due to its critical geopolitical position, i.e. does it not host the 5th fleet of the US navy? Or shall we be pedantic about that if, perhaps, I have written 5th fleet when it may be the 4th or 6th Fleet? There is no doubt about the US's keen interest in Bahrain as an ally and a host to its ships, etc. Sometimes we should just get the general meaning there, you know, and not always insuch an anglo-saxon fashion look for things we can "correct". Not that you could operate like that, or VS either.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's also a term for someone who talks/writes about current events but knows little or nothing about the background

There's also a term for someone who concludes that someone else knows little or nothing about the background....
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear gloomyGumi,

You give me the implications, I give you the inference. Of course, inferences are never 100% certain, so I'll give myself only a score of 99% on the sure scale.

However, your further posts also make me 99.9% sure that you fit the word I had in mind wonderfully.

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: