Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amity vs. AEON - please help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torontogirl88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Amity vs. AEON - please help! Reply with quote

Hello,

I have an interview with Aeon next Wednesday, and then an interview with Amity the next day.

I can only go to ONE of them - I can't take any more time off work (even taking work off for one of them is going to be a struggle). Which one should I go to?

Any feedback or advice would be SO greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you sooo much!
mstoffer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally do AEON since you get to teach a mix of adults and children. Some people find it tiring to teach only kid classes.

I know for AEON they expect a good mix of professionalism and energy / friendliness. I would imagine that for Amity they would expect A LOT of energy and a constant big smiling face. Not that you don�t need to show energy and smile a lot for AEON, but I think more for Amity.

If you think you have the appropriate level of energy and love working with kids, do Amity. If not I would try for AEON (although I�d imagine the grammar test is harder for AEON).

Just some things to consider Smile!
torontogirl88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, mstoffer!

I would prefer more kids classes actually, so perhaps Amity sounds more for me. I love working with kids and i have a lot of energy Smile

Location is pretty important to me too - I'd rather be in a big city, or at least very close to one. I tried to find information on their websites about location, but I couldn't find anything. Does one company have more schools in bigger cities than the other?
mstoffer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say 100% for Amity but I'm pretty sure AEON / Amity and ECC / ECC Jr. are all in and around the big cities. I think you just need to worry about the isolated locations with JET, Interac and PKC.

edit: ps. AEON and Amity are the same company right? so probably no significant difference between those two actually.
butterflies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can read Japanese, the Japanese Amity site gives you a full list of all the locations of their schools! If you need help, I can help you.

Aeon might have a list too.
torontogirl88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

Butterflies, I cannot read Japanese, but if you can just let me know if there are any schools in Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto, that would be SUCH a huge help!!!

So, only major difference is the amount of kids classes you teach?
butterflies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also look at the contract stipulations since they are a little different and weigh out the salary, working times, etc.
I think they end about being about the same, but you may have
to work longer nights with AEON (correct me if I'm wrong).

Amity has 3 schools in Tokyo and 1 in Osaka. I'm looking at the map though and a lot of the schools are close to the big cities, although I've never heard of the places before. For instance, all the schools in Saitama and Chiba are only about an hour away from Tokyo.

AEON seems to have tons of schools in Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto.

I just have no idea what the chances of being placed in these areas are.
It's most likely based on availability so you never know.

Japan is really easy to get around so I wouldn't worry too much about not being placed in a major city, as long you are close to one. An hour/hour and a half ride a city is pretty close if you ask me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: