Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New laws regarding foreigners in the Czech Republic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: New laws regarding foreigners in the Czech Republic Reply with quote

I believe all of these laws were passed a few days ago.

http://www.mvcr.cz/mvcren/article/changes-in-conditions-for-the-entry-and-stay-on-the-territory-of-the-czech-republic-under-preparation-for-2011.aspx

- Insurance rates for foreigners could go up to 30,000kc a year.
- The Ministry of Interior will now be dealing with many of the issues the Foreigners Police previously looked after.
- Introduction of blue cards

Previously, I could go to my local Foreigners Police, but now I must go 40km to the closest one. Apparently they (the government) will save 210 million crowns.

http://www.ceskenoviny.cz/news/zpravy/czech-pesident-klaus-signs-amended-law-on-foreigners-stay/573718

"Moreover, the law contains measures to prevent expedient applying for a long-term stay with the intention to secure a short-term stay in the country.

The law makes companies co-responsible for the foreigners they employ. They will be obliged to cover the costs of the expulsion of a foreigner who did not leave the Czech Republic after his/her work permit expired, and the costs of health care for a foreigner whom the company laid off before his/her work permit expired."
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will certainly make things more difficult for newbies, assuming that the laws are applied.
sisyphus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a dreadful time to start in the Czech rep; the efl market is woeful atm. I know teachers without work who have lots of quals and experience.
gwynnie86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone summarise/make sense of these? It sounds as if it will be nearly impossible to get a work visa... can you get accommodation and secure an income without a visa to start with?
I am British and my partner is (U.S.) American.... I'm getting confused by all this visa business....
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your partner will have 90 days to land a job with an employer who will help him/her navigate the visa system. Normally, so long as the paperwork has been filed, he/she will be ok to start work. Time your arrival in the CR for success - most job contracts are signed in late August/September.

Be sure your partner has adequate certification (CELTA or equivalent on-site course). There are lots of course providers in Prague, and any kind of on-line or short course will put him/her at a disadvantage on a market where most newbies have the on-site 100+ hour course.

British = no visa worries. Advice regarding certification still applies.
teflworldwide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TEFL job market is not as bad as some are leading you to believe...English teachers are always needed and there aren't enough EU ones to supply the demand.

And while the visa rules have changed this year in the Czech Republic, they will hardly affect Americans or native English speakers. While some schools will strictly want to hire EU citizens, a number of schools in Prague are still willing to hire Americans and help with a visa. Smile
Sigma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be more difficult for people to get a business license, if the government gets what they want.

http://zpravy.idnes.cz/vnitro-chce-omezit-priliv-cizincu-na-zivnost-v-cesku-by-museli-mit-miliony-1u9-/domaci.asp?c=A110303_094918_domaci_jj

Apparently, the government wants to stop people from abusing the system, so the applicant for a business license must have 5,000,000kc at their disposal.
maastricht

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the discussion in English here http://www.expats.cz/prague/showthread.php?t=338409&page=1&pp=7.

How long would it take them to pass such a law? And if they are going to make a 5 mill capital requirement for zivno but leave the sro capital requirements so low, it doesn't make sense.

Sorry, but $300,000 startup capital to teach English?
Sigma

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Interior Ministry is considering a measure that would require non-EU foreigners to invest 5 million Kč into their company in order to receive an entrepreneur visa. The visa could only be renewed after two years if the company is successful and if tax and social security are paid. Under a circular migration proposal for unskilled workers, laborers could stay in the country up to two years before being required to return home for three months before applying for a new visa."

http://www.praguepost.com/business/business-briefs/8744-tax-revenues-fell-2-percent-on-the-year.html
prahaenglish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schengen sucks! For non-EUers that is.
Sigma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Prague - Czech diplomacy today launched a new visa information system (VIS) that would enable a quick information exchange in the Schengen area, Foreign Ministry spokesman Vit Kolar has told CTK.

Within the new system, visa applicants will have to produce their biometric data, such as photographs and fingerprints, at Czech consulates abroad.
In the first phase, the new system will be applied in north African countries - Algeria, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia."

http://www.ceskenoviny.cz/news/zpravy/czech-republic-launches-new-visa-system-requiring-fingerprints/699416
Sigma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some potential news laws are being discussed.

http://www.parlamentnilisty.cz/zpravy/Uder-na-cizince-Drabek-je-zene-z-delnickych-profesi-Okamura-jeste-pritvrdi-222464

I certainly hope these don't happen, as it will make life much more complicated.

You can just use google translate, but I'm sure something will come out in English soon enough.
nzbradly78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that Okamura doesn't go through with that. Those are some of the most ridiculously populist ideas I've seen!
teflworldwideprague

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I see that the most recent post was dated in February and just wanted to inform you that as of May 25, 2012, the laws have changed a little bit more. Now, in order to obtain your working visa, you must bring notarized, apostilled copies of your University diplomas and transcripts with you, get them translated into Czech, and then sent to an affiliate university for the nostrification process, which could take up to 30 days to complete.

The rest of the visa application process is basically the same, with the only difference being the choice between a work permit or a Trade License. These days, I'm recommending the Trade License (or Zivnostensky list) if you have the necessary funds since it makes you more marketable to employers. Of course there are the inconveniences of invoicing your employer and taking care of your own taxes, but honestly, unless you're extremely on top of your work visa situation, your best bet would be the Trade License.
Mercury Morris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Negativity and misery abounds on Dave's ESL Cafe threads Reply with quote

Like most threads at Dave's Cafe, negativity, pessimism, and angst abound Crying or Very sad

Whenever you need a little depression, bad news, or some more reasons to think teaching ESL in Prague sucks ass---just come to Dave's LOL

Mad Mad Mad Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: