Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EU Immigration Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: EU Immigration Law Reply with quote

Hello,

There is alot of confusion on the boards regarding EU Imigration law and how it affects non-EU pasport holders in our profession. Does anyone have a web link that spells out the law clearly? Rolling Eyes
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as EU immigration law. Just as there is no such thing as an EU passport.

Even if either existed neither would have any effect in Poland as Poland is not in the EU.
dduck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Shulgin wrote:
There is no such thing as EU immigration law. Just as there is no such thing as an EU passport.

Even if either existed neither would have any effect in Poland as Poland is not in the EU.

Poland's going to be in the EU next year, (if it can get it's act together) but I'm not sure Polish workers will have the right to work in the EU as it currently exists.

I, a British citizen, am currently in Spain. I flashed them my British passport, with the words "European Union" on it and ... viola! If you are a EU citizen, you have the right to entry, live, and work in any member country. I would imagine what Alex means is that each member state decides it's own immigration policy. That's not going to change in the forseeable future.

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ibasiram

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as Poland joins the EU next May, Polish workers will be allowed to work easier in certain member states, among them Ireland, and maybe Britain....I'm not really sure about Britain, but I understand that we will still have to go through the same long bureaucratic process of geting work permit, visa etc, as we do now Rolling Eyes . I can't see that changing for a while.
martin przybyla

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 1st, 2004 Poland joins the EU, along with 9 other countries. Polish workers will immediately be able to work in Britain, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, and the Netherlands.

Other countries will have a transition period before full freedom of movement of labor is allowed. Likewise, Poland will have a transition period before other EU nationals can buy property in the country. But generally speaking, as of May 1st Poland will be full-fledged member of the EU and therefore Polish passports will be marked as EU passports.

All of this information is available on the EU and EC websites, although it's buried amidst thousands of legal documents in dozens of languages.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how this will affect foreign nationals teaching English in Poland and trying to acquire work visas. Hopefully it does not make it as difficult to teach English as it is in many Western European countries.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin przybyla wrote:
May 1st, 2004 Poland joins the EU, along with 9 other countries. Polish workers will immediately be able to work in Britain, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, and the Netherlands.

Which is ironic. The Poles are planning to restrict the right to work and reside in Poland to those EU states part of the Schegen agreement. Other EU nationals will need to apply for a TRC as they do at the moment. Which means Poles will be able to live in the UK and Ireland with zero paperwork but the Brits and Irish must jump thru' lots of hoops to live in Poland. While Germans and Austrians will be able to live in Poland with no paperwork but Poles will have to get paperwork to live in Germany and Austria for the next 7 years. The British govt are watching the situation and may have let the Poles know that the British govt decision to let Poles work in the UK is not set in stone......
daily chai

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious how this all turned out now that Poland is EU. (Congratulations!) What happened to the non-EU workers there? Are they allowed to finish their contracts but not renew?
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anything has changed for non-Eu workers. They can still work there if they have the proper paperwork just as they did before the 1st May. The only real change is that is becoming easier for fellow EU citizens to move around.

This might have an effect on the non-EU citizens, but only in the sense that schools may prefer EU workers because the paperwork is easier. Nobody is saying that non-EUians CAN'T work there any more, nothing has changed for them, it's simply that EUians may be preferred to non-EUians from now on.

Mike
mike10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: