Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAFETY in MEXICO-TIPS & ADVICE!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mejms

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Queretaro is only 2 and half to 3 hours from Mex City. It's an industrial city with a colonial flair. Clean, mostly quiet, kinda boring.

In this violent country, clean, quite, and boring sounds kinda nice.

P.S. Wouldn't those 3 words be the least likely you'd normally associate with Mexico? Wink
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

These attacks have been occurring with greater frequency and they can happen morning, afternoon, or night. Weekday or weekend.

I still want to know just WHERE you got this so-called information. Yes, this happens. It has been happening for as long as I have lived in Mexico, but I have not heard, or read, anywhere that it is increasing in frequency, nor do I know of anyone (and I asked about 50 people) who has been a victim in the last few years, nor did any of them know of anyone who had been a victim.

Not flashing cash, or jewelry or expensive cell phones is a good idea no matter where you live or go, Not just in Mexico.
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Prof Gringo was not forthcoming with his figures I did a little research on my own, and here is what I found, in brief, full text in Spanish from SETREVI�s website.

For every MILLION trips there are 230 crimes against a passenger. Say they are under-reported and the real figure is double or even triple, The fact is, that these crimes are going down, not up. And, there are far more crimes commited in taxis, something you have a lot more control over, than in micros or the Metro (which is actually one of the safest public transportation systems in the world). So, where are your figures, or is this just another of your alarmist posts without any basis in fact.

At roughly 300 crimes per MILLION, I think I will cross this off my list of things to worry about for now.

Of course, use common sense. Don�t going into funky areas. Don�t take public transport late at night. Use sitio taxis. Good advice. But don�t walk out the door every morning thinking you will be a crime victim. Chances are overwhelmingly in your favor that you won�t.

En la ciudad de M�xico, por cada mill�n de viajes en taxi, microb�s y metro los robos en transporte p�blico fueron 266 en los primeros diez meses de 2009; pero en el mismo periodo de 2010, este indicador registra 239, de acuerdo con cifras oficiales de la Procuradur�a General de Justicia del DF.
En una conferencia de prensa, el subsecretario de Pol�ticas P�blicas del GDF Alberto Esteva apunt� que �al d�a de hoy, se ha logrado bajar la tasa de incidencia en robo a usuarios del transporte p�blico. En Taxi, de 6.2 delitos por mill�n de usuarios a 2.3; de 1.8 en Microb�s a 0.5; de 0.4 en Metro a 0.2; de 1.5 a 1.1 en Metrobus y en RTP de 1.5 a 0.9�. M�s adelante, en la misma conferencia, el funcionario precis� que las tasas refieren a la reducci�n.
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvery wrote:

I am an experienced, qualified teacher in my early fifties. Work considerations will most likely dictate one of the following locations:

Chihuahua, Colima, Cuernavara, Culiacan, Guadalajara, Merida, Mexicali, Monterrey, Puebla, Queretano, Riviera Maya, Toluca or Veracruz.

Any thoughts?

P.S. While I asked for recommendations, I guess it would also be useful to know which of the above you'd eliminate outright, too Smile.

Personally, I would eliminate Chihuahua, Culiacan, Mexicali and Monterrey because of ongoing cartel problems. I would eliminate Toluca and Veracruz too because I think they are borning towns. Queretaro is beautiful, safe, clean and close to Mexico City for an occasional trip, as it Puebla. I love Guadalajara and lived there for a while. It has a lot of the same problems as Mexico City, loads of traffic, bad air, etc. But I never felt unsafe there. I don�t know enough about the other places to have an opinion. Of all the cities in your list, I would probably choose Puebla. It�s a good sized city, but not too congested traffic wise, it�s clean and pretty, and has lots of interesting places to visit. And has the best food, hands down, in the whole country. The only bad think I can think of is that they have a crappy soccer team.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is now a locked Sticky.

Related comments pertaining to this topic should henceforth be posted on this unlocked Sticky:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=87150&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: