Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how much....?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: how much....? Reply with quote

How much money do you spend a day on food? Whether you cook at home, or eat out somewhere....
just curious!
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At an absolute minimum (esp. for convenience, i.e. whilst at work or "on the run") it would be at least a few hundred yen per day (and probably spent on junky snack-like stuff like onigiri, pan, chocolate etc); to eat better, it would need to be at least a thousand or two (for fresh vegetables, meat, or eating out wherever).

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
inuzuki8605

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was living in Japan, I only used about 3,500 to 4,000 yen every two weeks or so on food. But I don't eat large meals and my rice was given to me from my friend's family so I just planned my meals around that.
Ryu Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend about 1000 yen a day during the week and about 2500 yen a day on weekends and holidays.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3500-4000 yen per two weeks is unrealistically extreme.

I can't give you a figure per day, but per week I probably spend about 5000 yen living alone and cooking for myself, with one dinner out per week.
inuzuki8605

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
3500-4000 yen per two weeks is unrealistically extreme.

I can't give you a figure per day, but per week I probably spend about 5000 yen living alone and cooking for myself, with one dinner out per week.

Well, like I said, I only had to plan meals around the rice I got for free. I grew up poor so I learned to stretch food as well. Get a 200 yen box of Curry and it can last a week. Make some spaghetti and it lasts a few days too. I shop pretty cheap and get things when they are on sell and I don't buy a heck of a lot of snacks either. Maybe 150 yen strawberry pocky every now and then. But yeah, it was nothing for me to chow down on some meat (I love meat) that was only 130 yen and put some veggies and rice with it and call it a day. Basically a 200 yen meal for dinner.

I personally can't see spending 5000 yen a week. It would be too much for me to spend and eat. This is my personally experience and I don't how the OP eats but he/she shouldn't expect to have my low spending rate. haha.
Tuan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is off topic, but do supermarkets still put 20% off stickers on food that has to be sold on that day, it has been a while since I've been back to Japan. I remember when I was in Utsunomiya, I would head to the supermarket 30 minutes before it closes and snagged some food items with the discount sticker.
wayne432

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, supermarkets mark down prices of the foods that they prepare.
They usually start an hour or 2 before close, and when they are near closing, the prices are marked down to 50% off usually I think. Of course, most of the "good" stuff is long gone by then.

As for me, I used to eat a lot. During that time, I would spend roughly 10,000 yen a week on food, etc. Now, I eat at home a lot more, etc. Recently, I'm around 1000 yen a day or less (though sometimes more)
inuzuki8605

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuan wrote:
This is off topic, but do supermarkets still put 20% off stickers on food that has to be sold on that day, it has been a while since I've been back to Japan. I remember when I was in Utsunomiya, I would head to the supermarket 30 minutes before it closes and snagged some food items with the discount sticker.

Yes! A year ago, it was like that. There was always a certain time of day like, you go after 16:30 or something and could get really cheap meat and other stuff that they wanted to sell that day. Half the battle to food shopping in Japan is knowing where to go and what time. ^_^
seklarwia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on about 10,000/week.

I eat a lot of fresh veg and fruits. Unfortunately, although fruits are my favourite snack, I despise the cheap and cheerful mikan/ponkan types of fruit.

At the moment a packet of strawberries is my favourite snack. But at 400 yen a pack, it would be cheaper to snack on a packet of chocolate biscuits or a giant packet of crisps.
kathrynoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inuzuki8605 - you would live for a week on a box of curry and some rice? For every meal? And you never got scurvy or any other disease caused by vitamin deficiencies?
inuzuki8605

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathrynoh wrote:
inuzuki8605 - you would live for a week on a box of curry and some rice? For every meal? And you never got scurvy or any other disease caused by vitamin deficiencies?

I'm pretty healthy so far. LOL I've never had a disease and I've never had to be hospitalized for any illnesses in my life other then getting my tonsils out as a child. I make my curry with a crap load of good veggies including Onions, Garlic, Green pepper, Potatoes, and meat. And I only had it for dinner. Breakfast of a piece of Bread (99 yen a pack of 5) and a banana (100 yen for 5) and lunch was an onigiri (99 yen) usually. I'm not very hard to please. haha. But don't worry, I eat well. ^_^

Like I said before. I grew up very poor so my mom taught me to survive and still get what I need without breaking my pocket. It was a lesson more valued than gold while on my own in Japan and will be again in three weeks when I move back. ^_^ LOL
seklarwia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inuzuki8605 wrote:
I make my curry with a crap load of good veggies including Onions, Garlic, Green pepper, Potatoes, and meat.

You realise that in terms of nutritional value, potatoes are not considered a veg and thus do not count towards your five a day. They are carbs and nothing more.

Of course some potatoes are healtier than others, but if you were using them and eating them in a quatity that would allow them to contribute to your diet, you would have been spending much more than you did.

And if those where normal portion sizes, you can't have been consuming more than 1,300KCals/day... How did you function on so little energy? How didn't you get sick? Because if that diet is accurate, you should have been deficiant in a few vitamins and minerals after a while.
inuzuki8605

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seklarwia wrote:
inuzuki8605 wrote:
I make my curry with a crap load of good veggies including Onions, Garlic, Green pepper, Potatoes, and meat.

You realise that in terms of nutritional value, potatoes are not considered a veg and thus do not count towards your five a day. They are carbs and nothing more.

Of course some potatoes are healtier than others, but if you were using them and eating them in a quatity that would allow them to contribute to your diet, you would have been spending much more than you did.

And if those where normal portion sizes, you can't have been consuming more than 1,300KCals/day... How did you function on so little energy? How didn't you get sick? Because if that diet is accurate, you should have been deficiant in a few vitamins and minerals after a while.

I am the most energetic person in my circle of friends in Japan and the US. I'm active and I've never been sick for any reasons concerning food. All medical tests in my yearly visit are normal. I'm a few pounds over the weight recommendation for my height. >_< What can I say? I know how to live. ^_^ And actually, potatoes can be considered a veg even though it is a root veg. It is as much a veg as a carrot or garlic. If not, what food group would you put it into?

Also... I said the it can last a week. Where did I ever say, made curry every week and ate it for a week???? For those of you are hung up on what I said about making curry last a week (that's a 5 day week), know that it wasn't an extremely common meal. After a week of curry, I don't want to see it again for at least a month or so. LOL So I settle for other varieties of foods as well. A much better diet then someone who eats out a lot, don't you think?

OP, PLEASE don't eat curry everyday!! Don't get confused about that like some others seem to have. LOL You very well spend much more than I did/do on food, but you asked for my experience and I gave it to you. ^_^
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not debate and berate the issue of living on such a small amount of money for food. I think most people will be interested in knowing how you did it and may have qualms about various aspects, but in the long run, I think you have described how you did it well enough.

Now, if the OP wants to go that route, he has the basics. I think most people will not choose such a lifestyle and should consider an average figure higher than that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: