Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When do schools hire?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainlover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: When do schools hire? Reply with quote

Hi. I'm new on this forum, and I was wondering something: I've put in about 15 applications across the M.east, mostly in the UAE, and I was wondering how long schools wait to get the interviewing process underway. I've got my MA in TESOL, and 10 yrs experience in Korea (7 at a university), but I haven't heard from too many schools- only Al Hosn (which from what I've read is a nightmare). I think the issue is that I got my MA while I was teaching, so there's no "post" MA experience. I feel like time's running out.....I do have an interview for the Institute for Applied Technology in Al Ain (a techie highschool) and feel like I should grab the first thing that comes. Anyone know about this school, by the way- conditions, reputation etc.? I'm not keen on teaching highschool, and am wondering if I should hold out for the uni jobs....but was wondering if they're just not interested, or really slow at getting back to candidates. Any insight about this would be super helpful. Thanks.
cmp45

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught at a Fujairah Technical Highschool back in the late 90s, it was my first gig in the Gulf and can tell you it was not a pleasant experience...students were extremely unruly (stating it mildly) with very little support from admin. However, despite the crap one had to put up with, it was a good learning experience and helped me move up the ladder to better schools.

I doubt much has changed student wise...re: technical high schools. The students are mostly rejects / misfits that can't get into university and / or are forced by parents to attend- a fast track for students entering work force... However, where you applied may not be the same set up???
With regard to applying....now is the time May/ June...be prepared for last minute offers...frustrating situation.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most interviewing and hiring, especially for the better employers, was done in March/April, but there will be last minute hires. This is a bad time to be job searching for the Emirates. Lots of waiting and not too many opportunities...

VS
uaeobserver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this to a colleague who is experiencing a similar lull in progress toward hire.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand you're waiting for your contract. Welcome to the land of Insha'Allah. Be careful, though.

Insha'Allahis the calm before the storm. Wait - scratch that --- it's the eye of a hurricane. Once you relax and get accustomed to Insha'Allah, you'll run head-on into Y'allah (specifically, royal urgency). Y'allah trumps enshallah.

You need to understand that your appointment is in the incapable hands of one of the hundreds of bureaucrats who are paid a tenth of what you make,, who go to work each day and enjoy their tea. Then suddenly - usually without notice - it becomes apparent to someone with an important prefix, that not much is getting done. Then Mr. VIP prefix demands someone's head if you (the solution du jour) are not in his palace by noon on Friday.

Then, one of the advisors who report to VIP Prefix will pound his/her chest and announce a change in plans. Insha'Allah is now y'allah. A bureaucrat from Sudan turcked away in HR will realize it's time to stop sipping his tea ---- he'll miraculously find the right piece of paper - and he'll stamp it. (stamps are very very important in the UAE).

The pounding of the stamp will resonate throughout the building. The boundry between Insha'Allah and y'allah has been crossed. If you've ever watch a jet catapault off a carrier --- it's kind of like that. One second, you're sitting there motionless. Then a fraction of a second later, you're barreling toward a ten story cliff 250 at kph.

You'll get a call at 2:00 AM from some poor Indian clerk from Kerala, whose favorite line is "no problem." He'll tell you to be on the 7:00 AM flight to Doha. You'll say you're not quite ready to move that fast - and he'll say "no problem, I'll put you on the 8:00 flight."

Whether you're enduring Insha'Allah or y'allah --- just remember that
Allah ma sabreen --- (God is with the patient).

Cherio --- and enjoy the ride.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but that is if one has already had an interview and an acceptance. Our OP has yet to have any response to even set up an interview...

VS
rainlover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: I just got the y'allah! Reply with quote

I was just offered a position at Al Hosn, with 5 days to complete the forms and send them back. I also have an interview today with the Institute of Applied Technology (in Al Ain, teaching only girls), so I'll see how that goes. The offer at Al Hosn was 21 hrs/wk at 15000 d/mo; with a furnished one bedroom apt walking distance to the school. As far as I can see, there's no relocation allowance, so all shipping of stuffs will be at my expense. But that's not much. So, all those wise and experienced expats in the area- how offensive or acceptable is this offer? I know it's more a matter of getting my foot in the door at first. However, I don't want to put up with crap for 3 years, waiting for something better. It being the middle of June already, what are my chances of something better coming along?
Last question- resume-wise, would it be better to work at a uni, even a low ranked one, than at a highschool? I've already got 8 years of uni experience, and am thinking the highschool job might be a nice change of pace. Or I might be walking into a lion's den....The wonderful fear of the unknown!
Iamherebecause

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the salary at IAT Al Ain, but the teachers I met who worked there seemed reasonably happy with the working environment.
Iamherebecause

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh if you REALLY want a lion's den try UGRU - they will be very short of staff for the coming academic year. Who knows, they may offer new (one year?) contracts in desperation. Shocked
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I just got the y'allah! Reply with quote

rainlover wrote:
But that's not much. So, all those wise and experienced expats in the area- how offensive or acceptable is this offer? I know it's more a matter of getting my foot in the door at first. However, I don't want to put up with crap for 3 years, waiting for something better. It being the middle of June already, what are my chances of something better coming along?
Last question- resume-wise, would it be better to work at a uni, even a low ranked one, than at a highschool?

Personally I would stick to university because the high school jobs are often pretty scary stuff. Laughing But, I'm a coward and preferred to stick with the devil I knew.

The offer from Al-Hosn sounds good to me assuming that this is your first Middle East job. Only that direct experience might start you a bit higher. Al-Hosn has not as yet had any terrible reviews here... and we normally have posters if it is awful... and it stays quiet here if things are OK.

It is late in the game. I think I'd go ahead with that offer if no one jumps in here with something horrible to say. Cool

VS
uaeobserver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an organization is just hiring now, chances are, they run on impulse rather than intelligence.

I'd think long and hard about that if I was being courted right now.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no... even the best places can end up with needing a last minute teacher or two. They will have made offers and teachers back out because their credentials got them a better offer elsewhere.

If a place is hiring a dozen teachers right now... that is a red flag of sorts.

VS
rainlover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Hope I played my cards right Reply with quote

Well, the interview with IAT lasted an hour and a half! They drilled me on every aspect of teaching imaginable. Truly the most thorough interview I've ever had. Not sure if that's good or bad! Anyways, I'd only be teaching the girls- one stipulation I insisted upon. Does that make a difference in terms of their conduct in class? I'm hoping so. At the end of the interview they said it would be 2-3 weeks before they got back to me, so I told them about the offer at Al Hosn, and that I had 5 working days to get back to them. Of course I didn't tell them what I was offered, only that it was "standard"; which is what they said they also paid. It was very tongue in cheek....They told me not to give Al Hosn the OK, without contacting them first, and that I could stall them a bit. I hope I played that card right, and that it gets me a better offer. But then again, I'm still up in the air about teaching highschool rather than uni. Any insights?
Iamherebecause

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know exactly how IAT Al Ain is organised but I believe many of the female students are in the Institute of Nursing - which is post-secondary.
theinquiringmind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about applying at Al Hosn University. I have 2 years teaching experience here in Saudi Arabia and about 4 years part time teaching prior to that.

Could someone give me an idea of what these people might be looking for in an instructor, and in particular, what kind of questions they might ask at an interview?
homeless vet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I just got the y'allah! Reply with quote

DON"T ship stuff to the UAE!! Go with your suitcases and carryon bag on the plane. It costs a lot more to ship stuff out of that hellhole of a country when you decide to leave than it costs to ship it there.

rainlover wrote:
I was just offered a position at Al Hosn, with 5 days to complete the forms and send them back. I also have an interview today with the Institute of Applied Technology (in Al Ain, teaching only girls), so I'll see how that goes. The offer at Al Hosn was 21 hrs/wk at 15000 d/mo; with a furnished one bedroom apt walking distance to the school. As far as I can see, there's no relocation allowance, so all shipping of stuffs will be at my expense. But that's not much. So, all those wise and experienced expats in the area- how offensive or acceptable is this offer? I know it's more a matter of getting my foot in the door at first. However, I don't want to put up with crap for 3 years, waiting for something better. It being the middle of June already, what are my chances of something better coming along?
Last question- resume-wise, would it be better to work at a uni, even a low ranked one, than at a highschool? I've already got 8 years of uni experience, and am thinking the highschool job might be a nice change of pace. Or I might be walking into a lion's den....The wonderful fear of the unknown!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: