Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camp jobs for non-EUers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Camp jobs for non-EUers? Reply with quote

I saw this on the job board
http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=22864

and from looking through it it seems like they accept Americans, Canadians, Australians and other non.EUers. I've emailed them and asked.

Anyone worked for them?

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see anything in their ad (or on their site) about a policy of employing non-EU teachers, but I don't see how they legally can. ("Legally" being the operative word - of course you could get teaching work in Italy, but you wouldn't have any legal recourse if anything went wrong...)
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe people are working under the table on their 90-day Schengen tourist status. As TIR notes, no legal recourse in case of problems.

If no problems occur - no problem to work under the table!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know either, but I checked out their site and under "camps" they have testimonies from peopel from Australia, Canada, and the US.

I emailed them to ask how.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Are you thinking of teaching at a summer camp?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO have 10 weeks vacation and will be in Europe anyways.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you want to earn a five-day TEFL cert and to work under the table for a month at newbie-level wages while you are there? Shocked
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
And you want to earn a five-day TEFL cert and to work under the table for a month at newbie-level wages while you are there? Shocked

Well, I don't really care about the cert. As for minimum wages, I wouldn't mind since while in Europe I wouldn't be working, so if I did the camp, I'd make more than by NOT working. As for working under the table, as I mentioned before in the OP, I've emailed them and asked.

maybe they offer a student visa. They say they're approved by the Italian Min of Ed, so I thought that they might have some type of agreement such as the ones the French and Spanish govt has.

It's only Sunday, I don't expect a reply until at least Wed.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested what you learn about this.

I've got absolutely no beef with any legal opps for non-EUers, but I do object to anything that lures them into under the table work. Sure, people have the right to choose to work illegally, and so long as they understand the possible risks, it's their lookout - but I seriously object to companies (well, and threads) that overlook or brush over or minimise the realities.

The company at the link you posted requires EU or Italian work visa for their programmes longer than one month, so I do fear that the short camp stints are under the table. It would be pretty unlikely that any company would jump through the legal hoops for such short-term employees, but again - we'll see what they say.

Ultimately, if it's under the table, people can obviously still choose to do it, but they should know that if there are any problems, they'll have no legal rights at all. May be an acceptable risk for such a short time period, but it should be up front.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's better that I find out now, rather than after applying. Thanks.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what they said,

Quote:
You do not need to have an EU passport to apply, we hire many non-EU's every year. As a non-EU you do not need to have a visa before you apply either. You may not even need one should you be hired. Non-EU citizen's are allowed to work in Italy on an automatic 'tourist visa' for up to 90 days. Our first tutor orientation is at the end of March, and then our Camps run until September 9th 2011. You can work with ACLE, tutoring at Camps, for up to a 90 day period throughout that time frame without needing to apply for a specific visa.

Doesn't look legit.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Sorry.

It's also pretty common for testimonials on a website to be from a few years back, before the schengen zone laws went into effect and illegal teaching was safer and more common.

Seriously, it's SO VERY difficult for an institution (never mind a private school) to get an exceptional working visa. It really nearly never happens, and particularly not at the newbie level.

The internships and fellowships that are sponsored by legit universities and which involve actual university study are really most likely the only legit way in at the newbie level. Well, other than marrying a local within the 90 day time limit Cool
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this statement is plain wrong: Non-EU citizen's are allowed to work in Italy on an automatic 'tourist visa' for up to 90 days.

To work in another country you generally need some sort of permit that allows you to work, rather than just visit that country.

There are ways to work while on a tourist visa by getting paid under the table, but this is not recommended. Even if you don't get caught, you will not have any legal protection if you run into employment issues or if you do not end up getting paid. If you do get caught, you will be deported and the deportation will go on your record, making it extremely difficult for you to get entrance to other countries in the future.

http://www.jobmonkey.com/europejobs/work-permits.html

Schengen Visa
A Schengen Visa is required by non-EEA nationals wishing to enter the EU for short-term stays not involving employment or self-employed activity.

http://www.globalvisas.com/worldwide_visas/schengen_visa.html

Nationals of a country that is Not a Full Member of the EU, EEA or EFTA, Must obtain a Work Visa or Permit to work in the country where the job is located before taking up employment.
http://www.anyworkanywhere.com/visaseupassport.html

Clearly, anyone believing this school and going to work for them would be illegal - meaning no legal recourse in case of any problem. They really shouldn't be stating this in their emails - it's inaccurate and could be misleading.

Last edited by spiral78 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral, I completely agree with you. I'm quoting THEIR reponse to my email. It's not legit, legal, at all. But I guess there's nothing we can do, right?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - it's their business. Our only influence is with whatever newbies visit this board...at least if they know it's not legal, they can decide if they want to take the risk of doing it under the table.

It's true that newbs work under the table, and as TIR pointed out right away, if you don't have any problems, well - it's possible that it will work out ok. But there are risks.

So long as newbs know what's involved, fair enough. They can make their own decisions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: