Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to find work from abroad?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicmunky

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: How to find work from abroad? Reply with quote

Hello, can anyone help me. How easy is it to find teaching work in Brazil from the UK? Or do I need to go there first? What's the visa situation?
markcmc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worked in Brazil either, but I've read & asked a lot about it and it sounds like you just have to go - and not care too much about visas.

Any old Brazil hands want to correct me on this then I'll shut up - but this is what I've heard from a few people.
evolving81

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from this forum it appears nearly impossible. There haven't been any posts in the Brazil forum for several weeks. I've applied to jobs in Brazil (advertised and just by contacting schools) and I've never heard back from any schools in Brazil. I'm not willing to risk it at this point just by going there and trying to secure a position and working illegally on a tourist visa.
markcmc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spoken to one of my colleagues here in Lisbon, who used to work in Brazil. He told me that most teachers there are working illegally. I know, it's not ideal, but that seems to be the situation; as it was in Taiwan 20 years ago, when it was almost the only way to get work.
J.M.A.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are teacher certified, you can work in International Schools. Otherwise working here legally (on a work visa) as a rank and file English teacher is impossible.
Jalowsky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend down there tells me it's nearly impossible to get a work visa, and not worthwhile. She is living there on an expired tourist visa, and still finds work through agencies and companies that don't care if she's got a work visa or not. She says it's not that difficult to find work there without one.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She is living there on an expired tourist visa

Won't that be a problem when she tries to leave the country?
jooooooey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to try to revive this topic instead of reposting the same thing elsewhere.

I am trying to find work teaching in Brazil. I am not too interested about making a great salary, but I would like to learn Portuguese and about the country, and to gain a foothold.

Where would one look to find jobs in this country from abroad (whether good prospects or not)?

I realize that the best way to find a job there is to just go. However, I need to secure a job ahead of time because I don't have any money to wait around and look. I would, however, have a free plane ticket to the country because of my current job.

I speak Spanish well. I have experience teaching.

My other option is to either do a cultural exchange type of program, which I am hesitant to do because I would be bound into the situation, but would secure me a visa. Or else I could go somewhere else and try to save money and do this later, which I don't want to do.

Does anyone have any good websites, schools, etc. where I could look from abroad? Or is this method hopeless? I would be going there in the summer.

Any advice?

Thank you.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brazil really is not a place to find an EFL job from abroad ahead of time (Is any country in S. America? or most of the world??? {OK Japan, Korea, KSA Yes}). If you are looking for more of a cultural language thang then i would make that your priority and save up money before you came. You can always get here and find work teaching - its just that if you are wanting to depend on money from teaching to survive you will probably have less time for the language/cultural thing - as in any other country.

Quote:
Where would one look to find jobs in this country from abroad (whether good prospects or not)?

Perennial favourites:

http://www.gringoes.com/

Craigslist - major Brazilian city

If you are not concerned about money and most often visa issues, this site (Daves esl) a couple of times a year, currently offering:

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=22827

Quote:
My other option is to either do a cultural exchange type of program

Yup:

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=22797
adamkalin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I agree with what icehockey has said, its basically impossible to arrange work in advance, the only way to do it is to shop around once you arrive. Dont take this as a negative thing though, it is certainly possible to find work here on the spot. English teaching is a huge business. Just because no-one advertises posts on the internet, it doesnt mean there arent any telf jobs in brazil- there are!

Unfortunately 'waiting around ad looking' might be your only option. I arrived in Rio 2 months ago with only �1,000 in my bank account. If you apply yourself you should be able to find work without too many problems (have a look at the other thread 'teachers in rio- fancy a beer?' where Ive written more about it)

Looking for jobs online isnt 'hopless', but I would say that its fairly worthless. Out of interest I looked at the link supplied by icehockey, and I wouldnt give that job in manaus a second glance, it doesnt sound like a good deal to me at all. My worry is that people see these kind of adverts (beacuase there are so few of them), and assume that these are the only jobs available, when this simply isnt true.

Hope this helps, cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: