Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pension refund

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digdug

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Pension refund Reply with quote

I'm Canadian and I'm leaving Korea very soon and I would like to get the money I put into the Korean Pension Plan back. I've been told by my employers where to go, what I need to bring, etc. but I have one issue. They told my employer that I need to provide the Korea Pension office my Social Insurance Number. If I provide this, will they make the Canadian government aware of my income while in Korea, thus making it susceptible to Canadian income tax rates??? Has anyone been in this same situation or does anyone know somebody in the same boat? If so, what is the outcome Question
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Korea ? Reply with quote

This should be in the "KOREA" forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
richard ame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Pensions Reply with quote

As a general topic I don't see that this should be country specfic where ever you work this kind of issue should be aired in any forum because its something that effects all of us what ever your home country their arrangements with other countries regarding taxes (if anypaid on earning overseas) and pensions rights is a pretty important consideration where you ask questions is irrevelant maybe this guy thought you would be a good person to ask the question ,feel flattered he thinks you may be somebody knowledgeable unless you'd prefer to show him otherwise!!!?
Celeste

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always under the impression that the money would not be given to you directly, but added to your Canada Pension Plan contributions. Anyone else have any concrete info?
zakiah25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: remember your new resolution! Reply with quote

Scot47 - remember you promised to be more "touchy-feely"!
Since you've been very good of late, we will overlook this one indiscretion (keep that hunk of carpet handy so that you can stroke it like a cat to remind you - "touchy-feely"!)
Good, well done!
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Roll Out the Red Carpet(or Something) Reply with quote

Well,Zechiah,maybe he can't stroke the carpet anymore,because I think in one of his previous posts he said he was chewing on it...so maybe he has devoured it and needs a new carpet.At least he is getting plenty of fiber(s).At any rate,I believe he is in Saudi,and that place is enough to drive you to drink(if you can find anything to drink, that is...probably illegal swill mostly.That was my experience when I was there)But anyway,Scot is apparently a very knowledgeable person,and if he kicks over the traces sometimes,well, we all have our pet peeves.Mine is a guy who is working(maybe) in Qatar.So let's give Scot a break,and let him off scot-free(sorry! ) on this one!

By the way,Zechiah,in addition to your MORDANT posts,in my opinion, you have the most seductive(definitely the most hypnotic) avatar on this board.Little Egypt...formerly called a "hootchie-koo" dancer. Anyway,your avatar beats a lot of the others all hollow...like the guy who has a housefly(a housefly?ugh!).We are really lucky some of the guys who post on this board are not able to get their grubby little mitts on more obscene,disgusting,avatars.The mind boggles. Rolling Eyes
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: scot47 Reply with quote

I know I promised to be more "touchy-feely" and less grouch-like. But have you SEEN those posts over on the Korea Forum ? Would you want to touch or feel those people ?
zakiah25

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Little Eqypt Reply with quote

Why Bnix - I'm glad that you like my avatar. You're obviously a person of good taste, refinement and culture (unlike a certain chauvinistic Riyadhian that we all know and admire). However, when I chose it, I was thinking more of the opening credits to the old TV show "I dream of Jeannie".
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Fear and Loathing on the Korean Forum Reply with quote

Yeah."I Dream of Jeannie"...starring Barbara Eden,from Tucson,Arizona,and Larry Hagman(later to star as the Machiavellian J.R. on "Dallas"...what a switch!)

As for the "Flame Wars"...and all of that other stuff on the Korean Forum...I agree with Scot.I am IN Korea...but I avoid that forum...it is not too encouraging to realize that I am even in the SAME country as some of those people.Actual conversation overheard at Kyobo Bookstore,a well-known bookstore in Seoul between two English "teachers"..."Well,when we are through here in Korea,where do you suppose we can go next to teach English?" They would never last a day in a place like Saudi,but they have scurried over here like a bunch of bedraggled lemmings trying to "teach" English.And that Korean Forum...Scot is right...a lot of it is pure lunacy...and probably more than a few trolls. Rolling Eyes
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Jinn and tonic Reply with quote

Dear zakiah25,
Hmmm - let's see. If I recall that show correctly, Jeannie was hardly an example of a " liberated woman " ( Or genie - which brings up another question. Genie is the English version of the Arabic " jinn ". Now my knowledge of jinns ( except with tonic ) is scanty so I'm not sure if there are female jinns in Islam. Guess they'd have to be; otherwise where would baby jinns come from? But if so, are they also termed " jinns ", or is there a feminine form - jinnette, so to speak? ). Don't I remember lines such as: " Yes, Master "; " Your wish is my command, Master "? So, the question arises - why would an independent lady such as yourself choose an avatar that presented womanhood is so servile a fashion?
Regards,
Chauvinistic John
zakiah25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: puff of smoke Reply with quote

Yes, but if you remember the show, Jeannie was always able to tie the "men up in knots" in various situations and she always got her way in the end!
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: The most subtle chauvinism of all Reply with quote

Dear zakiah25,
Of course - the old " men are really boobs and women, while pretending to let them run things, actually control it all " theme, so beloved by TVland and Hollywood. This, of course, is the most subtle form of chauvinism - pandering to the females' assumed conviction that it is indeed they who are the " powers behind the throne ", the " puppet-masters ", when, in fact, in the real world, that just ain't so. How patronizing it is - but then, it's guys who usually write the scripts and produce and direct the shows, movies.
Regards,
John
zakiah25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: back to the knitting! Reply with quote

Sigh ..... I think that I'll just go back to crocheting the camel rug or maybe enter the all-male domain of writing TV sitcoms!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: