Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resolve Disputes Instead of Bashing Schools!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexcase

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

It seems like ESL Judge is no more. I had contacted them many times to ask them to fill in the details missing from the About section on the site, but no reply and now they are gone

TEFLtastic blog- All the truth that's fit to teach- www.tefl.net/alexcase
SaratheSlytherin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="redsoxfan"]Doesn't this suggest that TEFL is not a real "profession"?

The behavior of some individuals in the field is considered unprofessional by some, but how does that undermine the respectability of the field? If it's a real profession, it's going to be a real profession, regardless of the way certain INDIVIDUALS behave.

The world is full of "real" teachers who behave unprofessionally, but that doesn't taint the entire teaching profession.

How do you define who is a "real" teacher and who is not? Different schools and programs require different credentials. The TESOL and CELTA are recognized the world over as respected teaching credentials.
Gusss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schools expect us to provide references - however we have no idea what we are getting into when we work for a new school. DavesESL cafe acts as a reference for schools - if it is a good school there will be more positive remarks than negative.
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that website doesn't work anymore, i guess mediation never took off. i suppose it is best to do things the old fashioned way. tell em how you feel, if they refuse to listen, tell the world how you feel.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ancient_dweller wrote:
that website doesn't work anymore, i guess mediation never took off. i suppose it is best to do things the old fashioned way. tell em how you feel, if they refuse to listen, tell the world how you feel.

AMEN!
jxyz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SaratheSlytherin"]

How do you define who is a "real" teacher and who is not? Different schools and programs require different credentials. The TESOL and CELTA are recognized the world over as respected teaching credentials.[/quote]

The CELTA and TESOL help - but a fake teacher is a fake teacher regardless of qualifications.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both CELTA and generic TESL/TEFL certifications are newbie level - ENTRY certifications. They don't make a professional teacher - they just start people on their way.

I think it's overstating to call them 'respected teaching credentials,' and they certainly don't 'make' a teacher 'real.'

It's just a start. They indicate at least a minimum commitment to the field and are rightly desired by schools that hire newbies.

Some teachers with these quals are in fact 'real,' but it's the energy and commitment they put into doing the job - and learning more about it - that make the difference.
igorG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry but the CELTA, TESL/TEFL or any other accreditation of the teachers have little to do with the situation.

Educational institutions are commercializing much more than they ought to and certs are becoming more of pieces of paper as much as licences to operate businesses/schools are.

Many schools around the world put their needs in front of the academic ones, and after they hire they have little in a sense of support or pro development for FTs set up. It often is up to other FTs at schools to help and if there aren't any qualified/experienced ones, locals usually aren't up to the task.

Quote:
Schools expect us to provide references - however we have no idea what we are getting into when we work for a new school. DavesESL cafe acts as a reference for schools - if it is a good school there will be more positive remarks than negative.
Absolutely! If the schools want references, we'd like to see them as well.

In the end, it's about how many teachers and how many employers can really tell the truth. I stongly believe this issue may be solved through the site memberships of individual users. Perhaps, they all should pay to participate in and so lawfully agree they'd provide their professional posts if it is when advertising for jobs or debating topics.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but it's extremely expensive to teach overseas. Most teachers buy their own tickets. I've known many teachers who went overseas who gave up their apartments and sold their belongings including their cars (my car is 12 years old but in perfect condition because I'm the original owner-I could not get another car with low miles in perfect condition for a price I could afford. In other words I couldn't buy back my own old car)

Many give up jobs back home (and in this economy good luck finding anything) basically shut down their lives.

So to give up everything only to spend $1000. on a ticket to find out the school is a scam is totally *****d up. And I certainly want to know everything I can before leaving. And since many countries have no protection for non-citizens (if you could afford to stay and fight anyway) the only way to protect yourself is to find out from other teachers what the situation is going in.

I understand that some people are just disgruntled employees (although I also know that's based on something too) but I am an intelligent, well-educated and experienced teacher. I can read a post about a school and understand when a person is unhappy and when there have been contract violations or abuses.

Since 1985 when I graduated college and was offered my first overseas teaching positing (in Japan which I didn't take because I was getting married) there seems to have been a huge explosion of shady language "schools" around the world. The salaries in Asia and the Middle East (the other area I looked into teaching 27 years ago and also had friends there) are the same as they were in the 80's. So the only thing we have to protect our interests are sites like this where we can find out about bad employers. And there seem at this point to be more bad ones, than professional ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: