Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poland's entry into the EU

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jolly

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Poland's entry into the EU Reply with quote

Hello all,

Now that Poland is a member of the EU, how does that affect ESL teachers? Will they hire anyone who is not an EU national? I'm not. Have I missed my opportunity to teach in Poland? Sad
Selyer

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: For what it's worth... Reply with quote

My DoS, who has been living in Poland for about 10 years, has a theory that Poland won't be in a rush to exclude non-EU citizens from being able to work here. His theory also includes the reasoning that regardless of EU laws Americans may still be able to get in to Poland because of the relatively good relationship between the two countries.

What the reality is actually likely to be, nobody I've run into seems to know.
chris_f

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: not until 2007? Reply with quote

Hi,

An American currently teaching in Poland, I have been told that Poland's entry into the EU will not affect non-EU citizens's chances of getting work here until 2007. Cannot confirm this, though.
Olivia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While attempting to get a job in Spain using my Polish passport I was told that there is a 2 year transition period for the countries that have entered the EU in May (Malta and Cyprus do not adhere to this rule). This means that Poles seeking work in EU countries still need to get working visas.

Sad
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivia wrote:
While attempting to get a job in Spain using my Polish passport I was told that there is a 2 year transition period for the countries that have entered the EU in May (Malta and Cyprus do not adhere to this rule). This means that Poles seeking work in EU countries still need to get working visas.

Sad

Not strictly speaking true. Poles can get jobs right now without work permits in the UK, Ireland and Sweden. As a result Brits, Irish and Swedes need no work permits to work in Poland. For everybody else work permits are still needed.
CROGO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me ask a simple question: How, specifically, does learning Engllish help a Pole to get a better job? What jobs require English speaking ability in Poland?
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a Pole wants a well-paying job, they usually have to work at a multi-national company. Usually one of the major requirements is to be able to speak and write good English (many times proved by the FCE, CAE, CPE, etc exams).

For example, one of my best friends in Poland (who used to be a student of mine) just got a job working at Philips. His 2nd interview was in English with the Dutch head of the dept who spoke no/very little Polish. This man is his boss.

This is just one thing. Another is that if they are unemployed, they may have a better chance of being chosen over another because of their cert. One more reason is incentive pay--a former student works at LOT as a ticket agent. When she passes (no doubt in my mind!) the FCE this month, she will be eligible for a slight increase in pay.

Just some of the ways.. There are many more though..
Will.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CROGO,
Often it does not help a Pole in Poland to get a job but to keep the one they have. As Chris has helpfully pointed out there are increasingly more multinationals out there and many joint ventures going on and this has been happening for a good few years. The corporate structure needs internationally minded and capable employees. The new broom ramps up production through a variety of measures one of which is the English, or other language, training programme. The employees are given the opportunity of learning the parent company language. this is continued professional development. in company training and provided free, unless you flunk a level... not a good idea, and as a goal for the company in x years we will all be able to communicate in that language at x level. After this point of x years is reached all employees seeking/expecting promotion will need that level. they may lose a wage rise etc. New employees will be expected to have achieved that level before applying for a job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: