Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help!! Looking for work in San Paulo, very slow.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arlaban

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Need help!! Looking for work in San Paulo, very slow. Reply with quote

Hello. I worked teaching in Spain for the last 14 years and the last 7 I was working in the British Council. I have a wide range of experience with all levels and from special needs to standard business and I have taken numerous training courses over the years to improve my teaching skills.
All that is fine but I arrived in San Paulo a week ago and with my C.V and experience I thought it would be relatively quick to pick up work, all I have received so far are good vibes and smiles and I have walked so many streets.
What I am trying to say is I am losing my optimism and getting down on the whole project. I am not giving up, San Paulo is sort of my last hope. I came from Santiago before I got here. I had some luck there and things were moving but there was too much competition from young American exchange programme students ( I am 43 ) and it payed very poorly.
I love Brazil I would like to make a life for myself here but I am at a loss how to make it work, I am going to keep on trying but any advise would be appreciated.
texanteacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. Hope you've had luck finding some work.

Have you tried putting "professor de ingl�s, S�o Paulo" in Google? If not, do that, since you're already in the city.

Once you've googled this, look specifically for the job advertising websites that pop up such as Trovit empregos, Simply hired, olx.com.br, etc.

In these sites, you'll find a listing of schools or businesses looking for English teachers. Hope your Portuguese is good, you'll need it.

The best paying jobs are teaching in-company, and if you're like me, these are the best ones. No children or adolescents. Smile

Send your CV/resume by email, or better yet, make a visit to the places that interest you if possible.

I've found work at a couple of schools in Salvador by doing just that.

Good luck.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need help!! Looking for work in San Paulo, very slow. Reply with quote

arlaban wrote:
Hello. I worked teaching in Spain for the last 14 years and the last 7 I was working in the British Council. I have a wide range of experience with all levels and from special needs to standard business and I have taken numerous training courses over the years to improve my teaching skills.
All that is fine but I arrived in San Paulo a week ago and with my C.V and experience I thought it would be relatively quick to pick up work, all I have received so far are good vibes and smiles and I have walked so many streets.
What I am trying to say is I am losing my optimism and getting down on the whole project. I am not giving up, San Paulo is sort of my last hope. I came from Santiago before I got here. I had some luck there and things were moving but there was too much competition from young American exchange programme students ( I am 43 ) and it payed very poorly.
I love Brazil I would like to make a life for myself here but I am at a loss how to make it work, I am going to keep on trying but any advise would be appreciated.

Sounds like you took a path I once took.

I arrived in Santiago Chile looking for a job...the pay seemed so low, and the competition was tough. I also found myself quite indifferent to Chile once arrived, although I had fairly romantic images of it before I arrived.

I took a bus to Sao Paulo. I actually went to a school called Linguatec, I heard about it in Santiago, and met a teacher in Santiago who use to teach there in Sao Paulo. After the interview on Day 2 of arriving in Sao Paulo, I was teaching the next day (Day 3), and then settled in without looking anywhere else.

I do remember that Sao Paulo DID have other teaching opportunities throughout, in the newspapers and such. The bigger problem was no one sponsors a visa to teach. You are more or less like a 'freelancer' in charge of your own schedule and teaching. They pay was also low. However, Brazil was worth every day that I was there, despite all of that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: