Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working Illegally

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mogwai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Working Illegally Reply with quote

Advice needed.

I�m currently working in Andalucia and the school I�m working for have refused to give me a contract, therefore making me illegal when I don�t want to be. I�m a UK citizen and a qualified EFL teacher.
What are the possible repercussions if I get caught as an �llegal�worker? and is it common practice? as my school are claiming.
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the problem would be for the school not for you but the way things work in Spain, they know they are quite safe.. like it is no problem to close a school and not pay anyone even with a contract as they did in ( Opening, WS, etc).
I think the only alternative is to leave and look for a school that is prepared to give you a contract. The advantage with a contract is that you get some money at the end ( "finiquito"), have to get paid for holidays and you have social security ( but I think that being European you have that anyway)
They may not be willing to give you a contract because the classes end in June and there's not much left now. The best would be to ask them why do they not want to give you a contract? Is it because they can't afford it?. Your classes consist of privates and they can end any minute?. It depends on the reason.
Libs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogwai,
I wouldn't worry too much about it. You won't be thrown out of the country. They're too busy kicking out non-European illegal immigrants. As gsbcn said, they probably won't give you a contract as the course ends soon. I started that way when I came to Spain (yes, it is common practice). I put it down to experience and the following year I got a decent job with a contract, holidays and social security.
If you are not paying tax or social security, you are not entitled to medical care, unless you have an E111 (I think it's still called that). If you don't have one, go about getting one soon - you don't want to have to pay doctor's bills. You may be able to get it from the Consulate, but I think you'll probably have to go back home to get it. Get in contact with UK authorities and tell them your situation.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libs wrote:
Mogwai,
I wouldn't worry too much about it. You won't be thrown out of the country. They're too busy kicking out non-European illegal immigrants. .

Even Canadians and Americans? Shocked I thought they were more worried about the North Africans.
Libs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl ... you forgot to mention South Americans, and maybe Eastern Europeans.
But, as long as you speak English and/or Spanish, and you behave, they'll basically leave you alone.
I was replying to Mogwai, who is from the EU, so I didn't think it was necessary to go into such detail.
I just hope he/she's got the E111 form.
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: E111 Reply with quote

Does the E111 still exist?
John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E111s still exist but the moment that you mention that you are working in Spain rather than on a fortnight's holiday you will be told to sling your oar. They are meant strictly for short term holidays/business trips and the like. France even refuses to accept them if they are older than 6 months (for which the European Commission is getting a little apoplectic).
reality

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
Spanish employers, prefer people to work illegally or on temporary contracts.

It means you are cheap, expandable and insecure. Don't worry, the majority of foreigners work in the very same conditions. You can now work in the morning, and get FIRED in the afternoon, without an excuse.

Try Vietnam, Indonesia or Thailand. Which have far better employee
rights and respect towards there employees.
anthyp

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must second reality's advice and add China to the list. Getting a job with a public university or college here is a cinch and there is no way they will let you go without getting you your Visas and work permits. I think Spanish employers only really care about your legal standing in the country as it affects their costs ... they can hire you cheaply if you're not legal, especially non - EU, and they don't have to make any effort to get you your permits. In fact one of my American friends was told he'd get his work papers sometime "next year" which just strikes me as ridiculous (he's been working there since early November). So it does seem common practice in Spain, at least from what I've heard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lozwich

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: remarkably silly question.. Reply with quote

Putting on my fireproof suit ready to be flamed, but...

What's an E111? Is that the thingy I need to get to be a resident in Spain?

Lozwich
Albulbul

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you are US citizen so you need a B222 !

Seriously the E111 is for people coming from one EU country to another for a short visit to entitle them to free medical treatment.

It is NOT for people working in Spain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: