Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not sure what to think about this job...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sohniye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Not sure what to think about this job... Reply with quote

Hello,

I am debating two other contracts besides this one (in Kuwait and Turkey, each at 2,500 a month.)

I am a first year teacher and have been offered a contract to work at an expat-mainly Kindergaten in Singapore. I would take the contract I am just not certain if it is a sound financial decsion. I have a MA in Special Education and will be a certified teacher in Australia by late spring.

The first year pay is 3,500 a month before tax and 4,000 the second year.

The company has asked me to arrive by the end of April, and in explaining to them that I am a new graduate and have not accumilated enough savings they have offered to pay for my flight and keep me in a hotel for two weeks until I have found housing. They also have offered me an advance that I could pay over three months...does this ring any good or bad bells for anyone?

The idea of taking an advance from my employer makes me feel a bit nervous...you thoughts?

I have several friends from Singapore and they believe that even trying to live modestly on 3,200 or so would be difficult. Housing seems to be the biggest issue as it is NOT included in the contract.

I live modestly but will have to pay about 450.00 USD towards my student loans and would like to save. Is this possible on the salary? I am not a very materialistic person but love to be social, I don't drink but going out clubbing or hanging out with new friends maybe once a month is not out of question. I could see myself needing to get a gym membership to stay fit. My understanding is that these things come at a serious premium in Singapore too.

It seems to me because they want a person sooner than later that help with finding affordable secure housing perhaps should be built into the contract.

Your ideas? Thanks:)
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: what do yiou think about this job? Reply with quote

The name of the school is?

Three months soinds like a probation period which then gives them extra over you. Get a loan from family and / or friends!!

The salary isn't great! However, for a first year teacher it may be an offer.

Gyms are not a big deal as you can exercise all you want in the parks except lift weights. But, you can jog, do chin ups and push ups to your heart's content.

Krakatoa.
sohniye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: what do yiou think about this job? Reply with quote

Krakatoa wrote:
The name of the school is?

Three months soinds like a probation period which then gives them extra over you. Get a loan from family and / or friends!!

The salary isn't great! However, for a first year teacher it may be an offer.

Gyms are not a big deal as you can exercise all you want in the parks except lift weights. But, you can jog, do chin ups and push ups to your heart's content.

Krakatoa.

Hello,

The school in question is Rosemount Kindergarten, which seems to enjoy favourable reviews by parents---just not certain about the teachers themselves.

I am in my first year of teaching but have a MA in education so I am not certain what to think of the salary.

I cannot borrow from family as they are not financially well off. The add I responded to was looking for teachers in August so all of this is a suprise, though they apparently the vacancy is there because a teacher had a family emergency.

Cheers,

Sohniye
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: what do you think about this job. Reply with quote

1/- I have never heard of this school. However, it does not mean to say that it isn't half decent.

2/- If yiou can try and get the E-mail addresses of past teachers and especially the one who is leaving. If there is any baulking at the request for them to get permission of the present teacher to communicate with you then extreme caution is required.

3/- S$3 200 is not great pay. You will find that you will need in the vicinity of S$4K pm for all of your daily expenses. (Rent, meals out, meals at home, phone bills, electricity, gas, water, bus and train fares, entry fees into attractions. BEWARE of internet fees as they used to require 18 months signed contract and this IS expensive. Booze, even casual {4 or 5 bottles a month can add up}). Think about other expenses
you may face and then work on your incoming money V out going money.

4/- Rememberr thqt you are not being payed airfare or reimbursement. Yes?

Caveat Emptor:
sohniye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Krakatoa,

Thank you for your response. Another contract is being sent tonight and I'll have another think about it. I just don't know what to think,...3,200 after tax doesn't seem fair to me either given the cost of living.

Cheers,

Sohniye
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salary you are being offered is quite low. Are you from one of the historical native speaking countries? However, the salary is enough for a modest life. Get a room in a flat rather than a flat itself and you'll be fine.
sohniye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Krakatoa and Wailing Imam---cool screenames btw Laughing

So I am still negotiating with my prospective employer.

The good news is I am not a drinker (or serious party girl!) and already know that I will have to share a flat (or get a single room in a flat) to be cost effective. According to what I am seeing here on Gumtee:

http://singapore.gumtree.sg/f-Apartment-House-Real-Estate-common-master-rooms-for-rent-W0QQCatIdZ10

I'd like to know if my prospective budget is on par with reality:

Housing (shared) electricity/utilities inc: 750-800 per month

Transport (mix of bus and train when necessary) 150.00 per month

Food ( I am very health conscious so I like to cook at home:) 150.00 (not sure about this one, I am a pescaterian)

Cell phone, I like pay as you go phones and am not certain about this one...30-50.00 a month?

'Fun': 100.00 per month

My student loan repayments Twisted Evil 550.00 USD

Internet: no idea.

So I get a total of monthly of around 1,800.00

What do you think?

Sincerely,

Sohniye
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food - At least 200 a month, plus meals out at lunch. I'd say 300 on food.

Fun - Museums, nightclubs, coffee with friends, cinema etc 200 a month.

Housing and transport are about right.

Cell phone - Brilliant value here. get top up voucher for SGD28 and they give you SGD128 in value. This voucher is valid for 50 days. You'll never spend it all. I have SGD500 plus in value on my phone as I can never spend all my 50 day credit.

Basically, you are not far off. I spend around SGD2000 a month and save the rest of my salary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: