Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extreme confusion about teaching in Brazil- Please Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
selene.e

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Extreme confusion about teaching in Brazil- Please Help! Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
I'm a student at the University of Texas. I'm studying Bilingual Education (English-Spanish, I'm a native, fluent speaker of both) and will graduate with a Bilingual Generalist certification for early childhood through 6th grade as well as ESL certification.
I am graduating in December of 2012. I set up my graduation to be in December instead of the typical May graduation because I want to go teach in Brazil. I have so many questions so here it goes:

1. Is graduating in December and moving to Brazil in January a good idea in terms of finding a teaching job? I know the Brazilian school year is different than the USA school year which is why I decided to graduate early to facilitate getting a job. Good choice?

2. Are my certifications enough? I'd be certified to teach any subject from early childhood to 6th grade in both English & Spanish in Texas as well as having my ESL certification. I've been reading online about teaching abroad and read so much about TEFL certification, do I need that along with my ESL?

3. Where to live? I have never been to Brazil but have done so much research on it and have friends there. I have a friend in Porto Alegre in Rio Grande do Sul and 2 friends in the state of Alagoas. I can't decide where of these two states to live. North or South? Alagoas is small, so I'm guessing there are less opportunities there but I might be wrong. Porto Alegre is where I'm mostly leaning towards but I am not sure. Job wise, which would be the best decision?

4. Getting a JOB! How do I go about getting a job in Brazil? Should I contact schools while still here in the USA or wait until I am actually in Brazil? I have asked the Career Services offices here at my university but none of them seem to be able to point me in the right direction. I've been searching for information online but I don't quite trust everything I find.

I appreciate all the help I can get! It's my life dream to live in Brazil and can't imagine myself being anything other than a teacher no matter where I live. I'm so excited yet nervous about all of this but have to do this! Thank you so much for your help in advance Smile

Also, as for Portuguese, as of right now, I can hold my own in the language. I know very basic conversational skills and use my Spanish to help me. Luckily, I'll be studying abroad in Bahia in June 2011 to improve my Portuguese.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read this!
labomba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ola,

There's nothing to be confused about. Teaching English in Brazil is posssible but it's not as simple as in some countries. Hiring outside of Brazil is not so common, though the usual websites like tefl.com, eslbase.com etc have some vacancies and there are plenty of other websites to trawl through.

For the standard tefl jobs most just head for Brazil.

The main issue is work visas are extremely rare for the English teacher in Brazil. There are some good websites written about this like:

http://daniellebrazil.blogspot.com/2008/10/danielles-tips-for-teaching-english-in.html

There is also the IICA - Instituto de Intercambios e Cultura Ameriana - program to look into, search this site for some answers to that and also see:

http://www.eslbase.com/schools/brazil/312

However, as you are going to be a qualified teacher in the United States (Am I right?) the thing to do is get employed as one in the US at one of the recruitment fairs held there for international schools within Brazil.

See this about an international school in Porto Alegre:

http://www.panamerican.com.br/employment/current-openings.html

Pester you careers adviser about international teacher job fairs as they can find out. Also, search this site.

Let me answer your questions:

1. January is quite up until carnival. But don't worry, instead enjoy the build up to carnival.

2. You can teach without and with tefl certification in Brazil. You are a better teacher with it, unless you are not going to put any effort in anyhow.

3. I have been to Brazil eight times. Northeast Brazil is the best IMHO. I would rather live in Cleveland than Porto Alegre and I'm English. What am i talking about? I will explain. The northeast is the best of the best.

4. See above.

The biggest problem in Brazil for us aspiring teachers is that the real is too strong! Vida dura nao?

Soarte meu amigo.
Raf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I`m from Porto Alegre.

Well, the city is quite big,1.6 millon people living there.

There is a lot of cuture going on, South is quite safe and people are polite and helful.

Thera are a lot of parks but no beaches. if you want beaches Alagoas is a better option.

Don`t know about the visa, but geting work there is possible. Last time i was in Brazil (2 years ago) i found a lot of ads looking for people who lived in English speaking contries , so being a native speaker is a plus.

Pay is not as good as in Asia and cost of living is higher.

If you just want to expericence the country and culture and are not concerned about saving a lot of money you `ll be fine

good luck
selene.e

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: thanks :) Reply with quote

Raf wrote:

Don`t know about the visa, but geting work there is possible. Last time i was in Brazil (2 years ago) i found a lot of ads looking for people who lived in English speaking contries , so being a native speaker is a plus.

Pay is not as good as in Asia and cost of living is higher.

If you just want to expericence the country and culture and are not concerned about saving a lot of money you `ll be fine

good luck

Thank you for replying! Do you think going in January would be good to find a job?
I'm worried that i'm going during an "off" season for teaching jobs.

I've heard so much about POA and really hope to move their Smile
Raf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

January and February are a bit slower as people usually goe on vaction and the city is nearly empty.

In late February early March the city gets busy again.

You need to be a bit tolerant as it might take sometime to find work.

Unless you have enough money saved to support yourself I`d wait until February,

You should contact some schools:

Cultura Inglesa
Yazigy
CCAA
Quatrum

Good luck!
danisauer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday ther was an interesting job posting for Brazil. Have you seen it?
selene.e

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danisauer wrote:
Yesterday ther was an interesting job posting for Brazil. Have you seen it?

The one from S&K?
That looks fantastic but I'm not scheduled to graduate until December of 2012. I have a complete 2 years before I graduate from my university. I'm trying to get everything worked out early to make things smoother once the time actually comes.

That posting looks amazing though. Thanks for bringing it up. I'd love to work/study there!
tucketj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Extreme confusion about teaching in Brazil- Please Help! Reply with quote

selene.e wrote:

4. Getting a JOB! How do I go about getting a job in Brazil? Should I contact schools while still here in the USA or wait until I am actually in Brazil? I have asked the Career Services offices here at my university but none of them seem to be able to point me in the right direction. I've been searching for information online but I don't quite trust everything I find.

Also, as for Portuguese, as of right now, I can hold my own in the language. I know very basic conversational skills and use my Spanish to help me. Luckily, I'll be studying abroad in Bahia in June 2011 to improve my Portuguese.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read this!

It is great that you will be going to Brasil in June 2011, that experience will help you answer many of your questions. I think your biggest road block will be working legally. You will be able to find jobs teaching English on a Tourist Visa, but you will not be working legally... I don't have an opinion on that one way or the other. If you can acquire private students that will help. After Carnival there should be more opportunities. Also the World Cup and Olympics will likely bring in more potential students.
texanteacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I've been teaching English in Salvador for the past 2 years. Work without a work or resident visa is possible. I have a visa, use it, but still pick up classes that are paid under the table. Common here.

Getting by on an English teacher's salary is tough. Do not come without some decent savings, ok. Also be sure to have a plane ticket home for when you're ready to do so. I'm still saving to get mine. Laughing Money goes quick, and earning like a Brazilian, you'll see that it isn't cheap to live here...very much to the contrary.

I'm leaving at the end of June, as soon as I take care of some personal business. I will be doing a service to my wonderful fellow human beings by posting my contacts to those who enquire. But ONLY after I'm just about to leave. When you experience living and working here as an English teacher, as part of the working class, you'll get a true idea of what life is like for the pov�o...that is to say, the majority of Brazilians.

abra�os
icehockey23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree fully with what texanteacher says. I am not saying it is not possilbe to have a decent life here teaching English - but I think for the vast majority of native speaking English "teachers" who come here they soon realize that the salary that they make is not really enough to afford the Brazilian good life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: