Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opportunities with my experience in Malaysia or Singapore
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonJade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Opportunities with my experience in Malaysia or Singapore Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I've been teaching in Japan for the last 10 years and I'd like to move to either Malaysia (Ipoh, preferably) or Singapore in the next few months. I was wondering if there were any job opportunities with my experience, and what kind of salary I could expect.

In Japan, I've worked in 'English Conversation' schools, but now freelance, mostly teaching Business English and Business Skills at multinational corporations (Apple, Canon, Fujitsu, Nissan, etc.), and running Presentation Skills and Meetings training seminars.

I have also taught children's classes at a private Conversation School for a few years - aged three and a half onwards.

I'm British, have a degree in Computing, but don't have any teaching qualifications. Most of my training was in-house - teaching techniques, skills, methodologies, etc.

The contract on my flat is up soon and I figured it was time to set my sights on a new place and new challenges.

And as a newbie asking a possibly silly question, would it be ok to cross-post this in the Singapore forum?

Thank you.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Opportunities with my experience in Malaysia or Singapor Reply with quote

DragonJade wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've been teaching in Japan for the last 10 years and I'd like to move to either Malaysia (Ipoh, preferably) or Singapore in the next few months. I was wondering if there were any job opportunities with my experience, and what kind of salary I could expect.

In Japan, I've worked in 'English Conversation' schools, but now freelance, mostly teaching Business English and Business Skills at multinational corporations (Apple, Canon, Fujitsu, Nissan, etc.), and running Presentation Skills and Meetings training seminars.

I have also taught children's classes at a private Conversation School for a few years - aged three and a half onwards.

I'm British, have a degree in Computing, but don't have any teaching qualifications. Most of my training was in-house - teaching techniques, skills, methodologies, etc.

The contract on my flat is up soon and I figured it was time to set my sights on a new place and new challenges.

And as a newbie asking a possibly silly question, would it be ok to cross-post this in the Singapore forum?

Thank you.

Well, you might have a chance with corporate training in Malaysia, as you did in Japan. English is widely used in business anyway given that this is a former British colony so maybe you would want to emphasize the presentation skills side. Bring a portfolio with.

But for academic positions, a Cert in TEFL/TESOL/TESL would make you more employable given your degree is non-English related.
Warning Bells

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you've got a really good thing going on in Japan. Why on earth you would ever consider throwing all that away for new challenges in Singapore or Malaysia is beyond me. Shocked Take these things into consideration in both countries:
Malaysia:
You need a car, which is a big expense and people drive like maniacs there! Salaries are usually very low and taxes are over 25% of your income for the first six months. The housing market is a real nightmare too!
Singapore:
People are shallow and self-obessed. They'll cut you down to shreads as soon as look at you! Why? Because you are never rich enough or as cool as they think they are. The housing market is way out of control! People are spending half their salaries shacking up with roommates for most of their adullt lives. Let me tell you about filthy dirty Little India too. Mad
KayuJati

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning Bells wrote:
It sounds like you've got a really good thing going on in Japan. Why on earth you would ever consider throwing all that away for new challenges in Singapore or Malaysia is beyond me. Shocked Take these things into consideration in both countries:
Malaysia:
You need a car, which is a big expense and people drive like maniacs there! Salaries are usually very low and taxes are over 25% of your income for the first six months. The housing market is a real nightmare too!
Singapore:
People are shallow and self-obessed. They'll cut you down to shreads as soon as look at you! Why? Because you are never rich enough or as cool as they think they are. The housing market is way out of control! People are spending half their salaries shacking up with roommates for most of their adullt lives. Let me tell you about filthy dirty Little India too. Mad

What is your experience with Malaysia, Warning Bells? KL only? Penang? Posters wanting info on other countries need to know from whence the opinions arise.

Drivers in Malaysia drive no better or worse than elsewhere in Asia. Housing rents are very cheap relative to purchase prices. In KL I rented a 4-bedroom, 3-bathroom house for the equivalent of US$215 a month. Likewise, rents are very cheap in Kuantan (east coast) and can be as low as US$130 for a house. You read that correctly: a house (not just a room). One can live in KL without a car if you live close enough to public transport and/or use the taxis, and a motorcycle. I went 4 1/2 years in KL without a car and we were glad for it.

Japan is usually considered one of the primo places for teaching in Asia, but it is expensive. Malaysia comes out pretty low on the list for cost-of-living and if one can get a decent wage, there is the opportunity to save and invest money in a growing market.
DragonJade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies, everyone.

The work I do is via agencies, or "dispatch companies", as a lot of people like to call them. I dislike the term dispatch company as the agencies I work with are rather good. I've worked with the lower end ones and they really feel like a dispatch company, so I know how they feel about the term. They basically send you out to a job and don't care too much how you do it.

The agencies get clients, and then the agencies find teachers for those classes/clients.

I would be looking to do something similar in Malaysia/Singapore in the long run, but doubt the market is the same. Therefore, I'd be quite happy working full-time in a school. It would give me the chance to acclimatise to the style of teaching I'd need for that country, the accent, and the country in general.

I don't have a driver's license. A problem in Ipoh, I know, but not in Singapore and probably not in KL (depending on where I'd be living and working).

Housing in Ipoh would not be a problem for me. I have lots of relatives I can stay with initially, and I have it in mind to rent a room from one of them. The only thing might be transportation. Not sure if they'd be willing to drive me to/from work every day.

Yes, Japan can be an expensive country to live in, but I live in a very nice flat for �60,000 a month, and can save a fair bit as I don't drink, smoke, or go out as much as I used to when I first got here. The flat's a bit out of Tokyo, but the air is cleaner, and it's a lot quieter. And income tax is around the 10% mark, which helps to offset shopping prices. And let's not forget the generally cheaper electronics here.

I've been to Malaysia quite a few times so I know what it's like to a certain extent. My last trip was for most of last February. Singapore I've been to less often, but I have a basic idea of what it's like. It's not like I'm choosing a country at random that I've never been to before.

After 10.5 years in Japan, it's time for me to get out and do something new. I love it here, but my brain is getting stale. I need a change and a new challenge.
Warning Bells

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayuJati, I know Selangor, Perak, Keddah and Penang quite well. Those are the areas most likely for him to find work. If you live in KL, just know that a home or apartment can easily run you around 3k a month for a decent place. You don't really need a car in KL. But bear in mind that the taxis there are not cheap. The buses are not very frequent and the train system/subway doesn't cover the city well enough.
In Ipoh, you'd definately need a car. You'd figure that you after a few days of frustration. In Singapore, you don't need at car at all, but you'd be paying through the roof for housing or shacking up with roommates. There's just no other way around it.
Nemodot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi well in Singapore public transport good. In kl I think a car is essential. I always had one. I lived in Bangkok as well and used taxis! Driving in Malaysia is fine. Try the north circular around London. That would scare even Penang drivers!

But long term Singapore is rather boring IMHO. The Market for unqualified efl teachers is basically zero. I only know if properly certified school teachers in Singapore. I worked with lots of Singaporeans whose English both written and spoken was far better than many grads from British unis!bespeciLly these days.

In Malaysia older people were taught in English but under 45 in Malay. Now the government are back tracking and there are programs to teach local teachers English. A friend is on that program. A celta wouldnbelp and with your experience you could apply for that. Otherwise schools want properly qualified teachers.

Thailand is an option as you could easily get a job there. the Thais can't speak English well so loads of jobs. Or Indonesia? Vietnam?

Ipoh has great chicken rice though.....
Warning Bells

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonJade, have you looked into opportunities in South Korea or China? I think your qualifications would serve you well in big cities such as Seoul, Shanghai or Hong Kong. You'd have a much easier time finding work and settling in would be far less problematic than Malaysia or Singapore.
DragonJade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm not really interested in teaching anywhere else. Unless it's Hawaii. I love Hawaii.

Working in Hong Kong would be a last resort. I've spent a lot of time in Hong Kong over the years (not working), and it wouldn't be stimulating or new for me. It would just feel mundane.

Oh, and I think I'd need a teaching qualification to get a visa for Hong Kong. That's something I don't have.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you could pick up work in Singapore. You'll need time and patience to source a decent job. A fair salary is 4k a month. A flat will set you back 1.6k a month.
DragonJade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
DragonJade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Just a quick update. One year on and I've got a Delta. It would have cost me almost as much to do a CELTA as a Delta in the UK as they were going to charge me international rates as I'd been away from the country so long.

I'm booked on a flight in a week and a half. No job yet, but I'm sending out my CV to universities in Malaysia in the hope of getting something in the next few months, if not at a university then a college or doing business training at some other company. I used to be a teacher trainer and a staff supervisor, so wouldn't mind doing that as well if no teaching jobs come up.

If anyone has any additional tips or know of places where their might be jobs going, please let me know.
chezal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to stay in teacher training British Council might be a good bet.
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would have cost me almost as much to do a CELTA as a Delta in the UK as they were going to charge me international rates as I'd been away from the country so long.

International rates? I know university courses charge international rates for 'home' students who have been living out of the country, but I didn't realise CELTA providers did that. But why would they just apply to the CELTA and not the DELTA? Sorry, DragonJade, maybe I'm being a bit dense here, but could you explain who exactly would have charged you international rates and how you were able to do the DELTA - a course generally twice as expensive - for the same price? It would be useful info to know - thanks!
DragonJade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chezal wrote:
If you want to stay in teacher training British Council might be a good bet.

Unfortunately their requirements are something like: three year post CELTA experience.

I'd been trained to CELTA level years ago at the company that I worked for (internal training) and have a decade of experience since, and now a Delta, but no post official-piece-of-paper-saying-I've-achieved-something experience which means I'm all out of luck there. That's a real arse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: