Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in the UK after years abroad - WhatdoIgottado?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwpjobs

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Working in the UK after years abroad - WhatdoIgottado? Reply with quote

I'm going to be working in the UK this summer for the first time in yonks, and I've just been having a worrying conversation with my employer about tax codes, P45s and NI numbers. I mean, I certainly HAD all these things at some point, but I definitely don't have them now. Also, I'm gonna need a bank account in the UK for my wages, and I don't know if I can open one from abroad. Can anyone tell me what I need to do?
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope I can help with a few of these details. Firstly, you will have (or be able to get) an NI number. Contact your local tax office or the NI contributions head office of the Inland Revenue. Try http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/p86_dom1.htm as a start. This gives you details of the forms you need to complete on arrival. Inform your employer that you are returning from abroad after a long absence and will bring with you these forms. He/she may well not understand the paperwork required either, so you may have to educate them. Have a fish around on the IR website. The bottom line is that once the paperwork is done you WILL have a tax code and NI number.

I doubt very much whether you can open a UK bank account from abroad. Having said that, it is very quick and easy to open one once you arrive. You will need a UK address.

If you have been abroad for more than about five years then you won't have a UK credit rating (unless you left under cover of darkness owing thousands in which case the black mark stays on file rather longer!) so you won't be offered much credit. A basic account that will allow your employer to pay you by bank transfer or cheque and allow you to withdraw money at an ATM is available from the Post Office or most high street building societies even if the major banks get fussy.
Magoo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try HSBC. No overdraft, loans, etc., but, with their basic current account, you can be paid by credit transfer. Avoid the Bank of China at all costs Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: You are going to live WHERE ? Reply with quote

You will need a plentiful supply of Librium, Alcohol or other psychotropic drugs to help you cope with the awful reality of life in "Cool Britannia". Better you than me !
Snoopy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me inform you about the cowboy outfit I am working for in England. Send me a pm.
leeroy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcohol certainly does make London more enjoyable.
Will.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the alcohol diversity here is one of the wonders of the modern world. i have put on kilos since i got back. The food. Jellied eels. pie and chips. y'know proper soggy chips, not these twig things in fast food outlets. I like that, outlet... to let out food...to allow it to escape.
I have taken to having a cafe cooked breakfast too...only 'cos i can read the paper and have a cafetiere of coffee and get away for under a fiver. It is not worth doing it yourself. It takes longer at home i don't get to read the paper and I have to do the dishes too.
I love the holidays.
mb2086

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatdoigottado:-

lesson plan: -

objective: to intoduce new english slang and to get the students to extract proper words.

Practice:

Ask the students to find as many words as they can hidden in the above expression. Then ask them to read the expression backwards. Then rearrange the letters to produce a completely new word altogether. Get them to mime the new word and then write lyrics for a new song based on their understanding of the new word.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: