Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Manila! Teaching English?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bosh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Moving to Manila! Teaching English? Reply with quote

Hi all, i will be moving to Manila next month to be with my fiance and therefore looking for help and advice.

I have spent the last 5 years teaching English in a local school in Singapore, i have both a PGDE from Singapore, and a CELTA qualification.

I am hoping to continue teaching in the Philippines, as i don't know what else i could do! What are the opportunities available over there? Is it easy to get a teaching job? What type of teaching jobs are available? basically, what are my chances??

Any help/advice/comments/opinions etc would be greatly appreciated!
elmoro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finding an english teaching job in the philippines is VERY hard. there are some programs but they are usually in cebu and temporary. the best thing to do is actually find a nice paying job in another country, and after 3-5 years, you should be able to buy some property in the philippines. i have been there several time and have a close friend who is married to a filipina. he actually built a nice house out in the country side, and now he is just waiting for his savings account to hit that magic number. then, as he says, "see ya!"

elmoro
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to Manila! Teaching English? Reply with quote

bosh wrote:
Hi all, i will be moving to Manila next month to be with my fiance and therefore looking for help and advice.

I have spent the last 5 years teaching English in a local school in Singapore, i have both a PGDE from Singapore, and a CELTA qualification.

I am hoping to continue teaching in the Philippines, as i don't know what else i could do! What are the opportunities available over there? Is it easy to get a teaching job? What type of teaching jobs are available? basically, what are my chances??

Any help/advice/comments/opinions etc would be greatly appreciated!

Until you marry her the chance of legal employment is low (hard to find a school who is willing and able to sponsor your visa).

You also have to remember that the Philippines EXPORTS English teachers to other countries around SE Asia rather than imports English teachers.

With a PGCE you may be able to get a job in an international school
IF you hold a passport from one of the major anglophone countries.

If you hold a passport from Singapore your chances approach "0". There are lots of qualified Filipinos who can do the job as well as you can - they only lack the "native speaker" status.

AFTER you marry her and IF you apply for your 13a (family visa) then you have the option of work without the problems of finding a job that is able and willing to sponsor your visa. You won't make a lot of money but you may find work.

btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread for related info:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=84074
roym

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD EDIT There are but a few genuine opportunities. I have stated elsewhere that the situation is a joke. Koreans have moved in..my experience in Cebu related to now..opened schools for their patriot travellers..charge a heavty sum for tuition but pay the tutors a misling wage. The tutors they pay...local Filipionos, working for what would not even cover your travel costs to get to work....14,000 pesos per month! Wasted time.
The Philippiones obviously has corruption problems. There is no legit process in place..Koreans, Chinese are infiltratrating and running amok..in more other situations than English teaching. Taking over the country because the government is only interested in filling it's own pockets.Much to the countries demise eventually.
For example..the latest pig business joke...those that have strived for months to rear, feed pigs for the Xmas season have lost out. Why? Because the Philippine g'ment allowed China to import a a shit load to the markets at a very low price and the Filipino 's profit disentergrated..leaving many in the minus...which corrupt b'stard allowed that to happen for a hefty back hander?
So, unless you come across the 0000.1 % genuine opportunities, forget it.
Do private tuition from home but don't expect to make a 'wage'. It's a love thing...good luck
bosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies!

Just to clarify, i'm actually the 'she' in this relationship, i guess when it comes to Philippines everyone assumes it's the other way around!

And no i'm not Singaporean, but half British/half Malaysian.

My fiance is half Filipino/half Italian, and he is based there with his family's business. In other words, i HAVE to make a life for myself over there, and would definitely need to work. My training and experience has always been in teaching, so it's what i would like to continue doing....

But, judging from your replies, it looks like its not gonna be easy.

I have just contacted the Singapore Int School in Manila, so will see what happens with that. Have not been able to find any reviews or comments on the school though, which is a bit worrying...?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosh wrote:
Thanks for all your replies!

Just to clarify, i'm actually the 'she' in this relationship, i guess when it comes to Philippines everyone assumes it's the other way around!

And no i'm not Singaporean, but half British/half Malaysian.

My fiance is half Filipino/half Italian, and he is based there with his family's business. In other words, i HAVE to make a life for myself over there, and would definitely need to work. My training and experience has always been in teaching, so it's what i would like to continue doing....

But, judging from your replies, it looks like its not gonna be easy.

I have just contacted the Singapore Int School in Manila, so will see what happens with that. Have not been able to find any reviews or comments on the school though, which is a bit worrying...?

Assuming he is a Filipino citizen (not just a resident) the world will change AFTER you are married and have completed the paperwork for your 13a visa.

You will then be qualified and ALLOWED to work without restriction or worries about visa status.

Many schools will take you on-board without a problem at that point and you have the option of taking the DEPED board exams allowing you to teach at any school rather than just the international schools or language academies.

Ramblin' Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I just want to the mods, sorry to post in a thread that hasn't had any action for over a month, but I saw it just now.

@op BOSH

One thing Bosh, is that the Philippines is really cheap to live in, compared to... well anywhere really. This is true even in Manila.

I've heard Singapore is one of the most expensive places in SE Asia, and I know Malaysia isn't cheap either.

If your fiance has a bussiness, there's a good chance that would be enough to let both of you live a life comfortable life there. I don't know if they idea of not working, and not contributing financially in the relationship, bothers you. But just saying, that if you did have some trouble finding work, I'm sure the two of you would more then get by off of the money he makes.

tttompatz, well it's true that the Philippines exports teachers rather then imports them, I wouldn't call those teachers particularly qualified. Here in China for example, Filipino teachers are really only hired by schools looking to get a teacher on the cheap, because they can pay them less then white faces. Schools that consider themselves more serious, would never be hiring a Filipino over a westerner.

And, let's be honest here, yes Filipinos speak English, and yes they speak it well enough that us foreigners can communicate with them completely, but there English, isn't actually good enough to make them qualified teachers.

Could they teach kindergarten? Sure. But there syntax, grammar, and overall sentence structure, even for basic sentences sometimes, is not nearly good enough to really be a qualified teacher of the English language. At least not at any level above young kids.

Not being prejudice here, just telling it like it is.
Ramblin' Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD EDIT

I have lived in the Philippines, not just traveled as a tourist, but actually lived there. When I did, I spent my time ENTIRELY with Filipinos. I didn't spend a single second with any other foreigners while there. Not because I didn't want to, that's just how it happened to turn out.

My point is, I have spent a lot of time in the company of Filipinos, of varying educational levels, and even the most educated ones, have far from perfect English skills.

I have nothing against the majority of Filipinos, and I enjoyed my time there, and I enjoyed the company of most of the people I meant there. That doesn't I think they are qualified English teachers. They aren't. If you don't think I am qualified to make that statement, well then ok. I know I am, and I'm quite sure if you were to ask multiple highly qualified western English teachers, and grammarians there opinions, they would, after sufficient observation, come to the exact same conclusions I have come to.

I came to this conclusion, not out of prejudice, or even judgment, but through observation.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramblin' Man wrote:
tttompatz, well it's true that the Philippines exports teachers rather then imports them, I wouldn't call those teachers particularly qualified. Here in China for example, Filipino teachers are really only hired by schools looking to get a teacher on the cheap, because they can pay them less then white faces. Schools that consider themselves more serious, would never be hiring a Filipino over a westerner.

And, let's be honest here, yes Filipinos speak English, and yes they speak it well enough that us foreigners can communicate with them completely, but there English, isn't actually good enough to make them qualified teachers.

Could they teach kindergarten? Sure. But there syntax, grammar, and overall sentence structure, even for basic sentences sometimes, is not nearly good enough to really be a qualified teacher of the English language. At least not at any level above young kids.

Not being prejudice here, just telling it like it is.

Tell it however you want it.

Bottom line is that there is an unemployment rate of close to 50% in many parts of the Philippines (even amongst the educated) AND there is an excess of "licensed" teachers in the RP so the chances of a foreigner being approved and getting a work visa to be an "English" teacher is just about "0" unless you:

a) hold a PhD and get taken on by one of the better universities.
b) you hold "certified teacher status" in your own country and get taken on by one of the international schools.
c) marry a Philippine citizen and get yourself a 13a visa (non-quota immigrant).

An unrelated (not education) BA and a TESOL cert won't cut it for a work visa.

That leaves you the choice of:
a) working outside of the RP and taking your vacations or breaks between contracts in the RP
b) working illegally on your (extended) tourist stamp and praying that you don't get caught and that your employer doesn't decide to not pay you (you have no protection or means to collect).

Ramblin' Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I realize that a foreigners chance of being hired as a teacher in the Philippines is pretty low. Personally I have no interest in ever even trying, I am more then content just vacationing there when I have some extra cash.

I was just giving my opinions/observations on the quality of the average Filipino English teacher, that's all.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some postings have been deleted or edited. Please stay on topic, avoid taking cheap shots at other members and play by the rules. If not, the next step is sanctions.
Josef K

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramblin' Man wrote:
MOD EDIT

My point is, I have spent a lot of time in the company of Filipinos, of varying educational levels, and even the most educated ones, have far from perfect English skills.

I have nothing against the majority of Filipinos, and I enjoyed my time there, and I enjoyed the company of most of the people I meant there. That doesn't I think they are qualified English teachers. They aren't. If you don't think I am qualified to make that statement, well then ok. I know I am, and I'm quite sure if you were to ask multiple highly qualified western English teachers, and grammarians there opinions, they would, after sufficient observation, come to the exact same conclusions I have come to.

Ironic that you see yourself fit to comment on the English skills of others when yours are so obviously lacking.

I am sure most educated Filipinos actually understand the difference in usage between "their" and "there" and when to use a comma but hey they have dark skin and were never part of the colonial empire so we all believe you when you say they have poor English skills - no need to invoke "western teachers or grammarians", whoever they may be Rolling Eyes

Perhaps you can do yourself a favour and look up this thing called English as a Lingua Franca or better still read about the notion that non-native speakers don't actually need a native speaker model. And while you're sitting on the toilet planning your next trip to the Philippines take in some light reading: why not see if you can get your mind around some of the ideas of Pennycook or some of the implications of Gradoll's work in the spread of English. Shocked
justanuglypinoyteacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: english teachers Reply with quote

i must say, i'm not a native speaker. While i worked abroad (Vietnam) to teach my 4th language (english), i was discriminated upon because i am Filipino. But i had to work real hard just to be taken in as a teacher. Most schools would prefer to hire white skinned high-school graduates over me. it took alot of doing, but i was able to prove myself and was eventually hired for 8$ an hour (Filipino rate). I did not stop there. I wanted to make more because Americans with less education were getting 24$ an hour.

Had a funny experience while i was in Cambodia. i begged to observe a "native speaker" teach English. The teacher was Romanian and he was murdering the English language. But he gets 18$ an hour because he is Caucasian.

Before i left VN, i was getting paid 24$ as well. i taught in a university.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: