Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No license. Can I rent a scooter in/around Yogyakarta?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: No license. Can I rent a scooter in/around Yogyakarta? Reply with quote

I'll be traveling in Java for 2 weeks, and I'm interested in renting a scooter - ideally using it to travel to some locations outside of the city.

I rented a scooter in Bali without any problems. I don't have a license of any kind - my Canadian license is expired. I have quite a bit of experience driving in South-East Asia, particularly in Vietnam.
rayman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have no problem renting one as it wouldn't be the person renting it to you that's breaking the law. You'll just have to show your passport and pay a deposit. You may need to pay a bit more to a policeman if he pulls you over.
Sudz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

SO what I should be asking is.....what might the penalty be if I were caught? As long as it's just a fee, I'm comfortable enough. Looking through a couple of other forums, it SOUNDS as though the police in this region don't really target foreigners (one person was pulled over, but then was waved on once the policeman realized he was foreign....though perhaps he didn't speak English!)
rayman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rp50 000 is the general going rate. Best practice if pulled over is to play dumb and only speak English. Then wait for them to ask for money. Never offer it first. It's not such a big deal really. Providing you're wearing a helmet, as you say they're unlikely to pull you over anyway. Have fun. It's a good area for touring on bike.
Sudz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks!

Just became more excited about this trip.
Bule_Gila

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there my fellow Canadian

Many people here drive without a SIM. I have seen kids no older than 12 years of age riding around on motor bikes!

As for myself, I bought a new motor bike from Honda and never had to produce a SIM.

As for polisi, as long as your plates are valid and you are wearing a helmet, you should have no problem. I suggest getting the helmet with the face protector that has tint so the polisi cant see your face.

I've been pulled over once here. When that happened, I acted dumb and spoke only English. The polisi got so frustrated they let me go, no money required. If that fails, tell them you are on the way to the polisi station to get a SIM. Ask them for directions and act like a total tourist....
colli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you can prove the bike is owned by you, the rental company you hired from or a friend who can come down at short notice to meet the police and show evidence of ownership you'll be fine. You may still have to pay a fine for something like driving the wrong way up a one way street, since you shouldn't just trust the locals and decide it's a two way road - they know when to turn off before a police station! Also, as previous posters have mentioned, try to avoid speaking any indonesian! Hati-hati!
travelNteach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u rent a vechicle, the person should give you their regristration.. STNK. also, show them your expired canadian license and say international. i doubt they will be able to find or understand the expiration date.
Sudz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Can't use the expired license unfortunately - no idea where it is! Anyways sounds promising nevertheless (I've been driving in Vietnam for 6 years without one!)

Think it would be safe to drive fairly extensively around central/eastern Java? I might not necessarily be anywhere close to the bike owner.
mr fred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad idea.
The local cops tend to wave you past 'sweeps' but an accident would see you with big problems.
Sudz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mission accomplished (a lot time ago). It was a great trip : )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: