Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question about permits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooltyp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: question about permits Reply with quote

if your work visa runs out in June and you already signed a contract and submitted the work permit papers with a new school for the following school year can you stay in the EU during the summer? How does this work? Normally the visa gets stamped in the passport in September and runs through June. Can you stay during the summer as a tourist? i am confused.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get 90 days as a tourist, and you say your continuing paperwork has been filed. You SHOULD be ok, though I'm not certain of this - and perhaps no-one including the officials, really are!

If it were me, I'd want to carry whatever documentation from the school that shows that your work permit for the upcoming period has been applied for.

Don't trust me totally on this - I don't know the new rules - but in the past, so long as paperwork had been filed, people were usually OK.

Are you planning to travel outside the CR? If so, I'd probably try starting outside the Schengen zone, to get a fresh stamp. Croatia's a nice option, for example....

Good luck -
cooltyp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: hmm.. Reply with quote

yes that was exactly my opinion also but i wanted to check with somebody. make sure the school has submitted the paperwork for a work permit that i just filled out and keep some sort of official looking czech copy with my passport. some of these EU laws are so strange i do not think anybody completely understands them.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always go put your head in the lion's mouth and ask at the Foreign Police. They seem far more efficient these days than in the past, though 'friendly' and 'sympathetic' and 'forthcoming' are probably still far in the future, if ever.

At least, they should give you extra points for being brave and honest, if you go Very Happy
maastricht

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this thread applies to your situation: http://www.expats.cz/prague/showthread.php?t=339296&page=1&pp=7.

Sorry, I am really confused based on my shallow understanding of the immigration laws. If someone has already been on a D visa, how can they just rollover to a C visa (or no-visa entry for named nationalities, e.g. US citizens)? The C visa or its no-visa equivalent as I understand it is calculated on a rolling basis; therefore I don't see how a border run would reset the time period unless stated in the regulations.

Also, are you sure the FP still have jurisdiction? See e.g. http://www.mvcr.cz/mvcren/article/changes-in-conditions-for-the-entry-and-stay-on-the-territory-of-the-czech-republic-from-2011.aspx?q=Y2hudW09NA%3d%3d. "Newly, the Ministry of the Interior offices took over responsibility for a significant part of matters related to the residency of foreign nationals in the Czech Republic.

In what circumstances should foreign nationals contact the new regional offices of the Ministry of the Interior (Department for Asylum and Migration Policy) from 1 January 2011?

* application for an extension to a long-stay visa (applications for such visas should continue to be made to the relevant Czech embassy abroad)
* application for a long-stay visa for the purpose of leave to remain on the territoryand extension of validity of such a visa or length of stay on the basis of this visa
* application for a long-term residence permit or its extension
* application for a certificate of temporary residence (EU citizens)
* application for a temporary residence and for a residency card for a family member of EU citizen and its extension, respectively
* application for permanent residence"

Are the FP more "efficient" now because jurisdiction of most of these matters has been transferred to the Ministry so now the FP sit around all day long playing Farmville? From what I last read the Ministry is gridlocked.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't see how a border run would reset the time period unless stated in the regulations.

No, you are correct that a border run would NOT reset the time period. I was getting at the idea of a long summer (90 days) outside the zone. Croatia could be ideal for this, if necessary.

The Prague FP were notoriously difficult to get into and to deal with, but have undergone a significant revamping over the past five or six years.
They've become far more organised and civil over the past few years.

According to the info you've posted below, the FP likely do not have jurisdiction any more, correct.

As I stated in my first post, I am not up on the current rules. The only reason for my posting was to note that, traditionally, so long as paperwork has been filed, a teacher is generally considered OK (unless some serious bad luck occurs). I am not personally in a position to need to renew anything (have permanent residency since 2000) nor do I have any official position in the industry in Prague at this time.

Not to mention the fact that things change rapidly!

The best sources of info on this outside the official channels should be the schools that employ the teachers.
cooltyp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

the school said it was fine to move there.
actually looking at the most recent laws it appears one might be able to do a border run and return after the visa expired. reentry on toursit visa for tourism. maybe there is paperwork you have to fill out though.
page 65 of this handbook says that one can apply for short term visa directly after

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100603003415AAZI5MY

http://www.info4alien.de/yabbfiles/Attachments/handbook_for_the_processing_of_visa__applicaitions.pdf

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2003501
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like you can re-enter as a tourist after your work visa expires. Distinction being that it's a different kind of visa. Interesting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: