Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

annual conference
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar805

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: annual conference Reply with quote

Of late, this forum has produced some interesting topics and lively discussions.
Hence, I propose that we hold a Dave's ESL Cafe Annual Conference - maybe we could have it in some nice place like Tahiti or the Maldives.
A list of guest speakers could be drawn up on various topics - any suggestions?
Some examples could be:
Tips for worldwide Backpackers with no teaching experience - Speaker Scot47
1001 Ways to sautee a camel and keep your man happy- Speaker Zakiah 25
Perfect Match - Speaker Foolsboy
How to Survive ELT in a Russian blizzard - Speaker KeNT
CVs for the exec EFL teachers - Speaker Glenski
Idioms for all occasions - Speaker Bnix
Patriots and politics - Speaker JohnSlat
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Ex-pat in a photo finish Reply with quote

Dear omar805,
Nice idea - but I doubt you'll get many attendees. EFL teachers on holiday aren't too likely to want to " talk shop " or be around other EFL teachers. I mean, that's our situation the rest of the year. What might be interesting, though, would be if Dave would consider putting up a " photo " site. It'd be nice to have a face to match the posts ( hmm, or would it? ). One question: " Patriots and politics "??? Well, if you're talking about the New England Patriots, OK - but why me for the other kind? And why politics, as well?
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: pencil me in Omar805 Reply with quote

Hello Omar805:

Yes; you're right. There have been some lively and interesting threads here lately, and I too have enjoyed reading them.

So ... you can go ahead and 'pencil me in' for the "How to Survive ELT in a Russian Blizzard" seminar. I'll bring the good Russian vodka, the pretty girls for Foolsboy and my trusty old etymology dictionary. Cool

Seriously though, Johnslat has a good idea. It would be fun to have a photo page attached to the Forum. I sometimes sit here and wonder what you people look like while I'm composing my witty little diatribes.

Hey! While we're on the topic of photos ... Why not take that idea one step further and set up a Dave's EFL members' virtual dart-board? When you get angry at someone, you could just hop on over to the virtual dart-board, choose the member-photo you like (or don't like, as the case may be) Twisted Evil and then just fire away until your heart's content.

AllTheBest,
kenT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conference sounds like a great idea, and everyone could bring some good men and women from their part of the globe so we can finally find out who has been telling the truth. Laughing
M.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: FIsh in Russia Reply with quote

SO Kent,

Where in Russia are you. I was IN Moscow for 5 years.... Im floating in Germany now. But Life after Moscow is pretty boringo in " metropolitan" Berlin. What a village. Lookin for somethin to match Russia is hard to do.
M.

P. S. I suggest Brazil for a conference. I aint never been there........
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Privyet "M" Reply with quote

Hello "M"

I've been living in Samara for 2 years now. It's not exactly Moscow in terms of excitement, but life is relaxing here, and I really enjoy the hot summer months spent under the beer tents along the banks of the Volga River.

Uebrigens, Ich habe auch vier Jahre in Muenchen verbracht, zwischen 1989 und 1993. Cool As Homer would say ... mmmmmmm, German beer!

Anyway, I would 'second' your motion for Brazil as a conference venue. From what I've seen on TV, I could leave the Russian girls behind. (no pun intended.)

Regards mein Freund,
keNt

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: dave's conference Reply with quote

I would love to run the "touchy-feely" seminar on "Backpackers are Best".
Who pays my expenses to get there ?
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Guess what? Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
I hate to tell you this, but you're going to have to, um, backpack it.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Wilco Reply with quote

Wilco. With one proviso. I can travel there with Ken and Barbie and a large bottle of cyanide in MY backpack.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Bring two Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
No problem with the proviso; Ken and Barbie are dying to meet you. Better bring at least two bottles, though - there are LOTS of backpackers.
And don't forget your umbrella ( to keep the sky from falling on you ).
Regards,
John
M.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Bochka Uber Alles Reply with quote

Kent.

Never made it to Samara. But was in Varonish and Kazan a few times. Deutch bier ist prima, geschmeckt und alles. Y u mne ni pakmelii pozli nimetski piva. Ya skuchiau Raccia but life in Germany is interesting. Plus, my Roomates are from Minsk. SO I speak Russian everyday. I live in A turkish world though. Kreuzberg. Lots of Falafal, Kebab and and occational Russkie Produckti Shop. I suggest Recife for the Conference, I hear good things about that zone of Brazil.

I nominate Irkutsk for the second conference. Great Town Historic, Close to Baikal, Tuva, and Mongolia. Plus Russkie Konyejhna.........

Japan any tips. Im heading there, at the end of the summer.

M.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: United Nations Anyone? Reply with quote

Privyet "M":

Wow! You live with Russians from Belarus in a Turkish neighborhood of Kreuzberg in Germany? I hereby nominate you to take over the revolving presidency of the United Nations. Cool

Japan? I did 2 years in Tsuchiura, part of the sprawling 'greater' Tokyo area within Ibaraki Prefecture. What do you need to know?

Paka Exclamation
keNt
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bochka Uber Alles Reply with quote

Japan any tips. Im heading there, at the end of the summer.

M.[/quote]

Where are you going in Japan?Is this business or pleasure?
I'll be glad to help if I can. Cool
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Okay,Omar! Reply with quote

I like the idea and his sense of humor.And for anyone who has ever attended one of those annual conference things sponsored by the TESOL organization based in Alexandria,Virgina....Omar's idea sounds like a great alternative.I think the Alexandria bunch's "conference" is largely about $$$$...you pay a fee,plus there is a "special" fee for the job work shop...they have "special" breakfasts(next to some aquarium or something)...which they also charge extra $.special "guided tours" for which they also charge $$.They seem to have $$$$$'s in their eyes...

Good idea,Omar.Who knows? Maybe it will get off the ground! Smile
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Tsuchiura? Reply with quote

keNt:

Two years in Tsichiura? I'd have gone mad. We spent 8+ years in Ibarakiken, and decided (for some reason) to spend the day in Tsuchiura. One of the dullest places I've ever seen.

Did you spend all of your free time in Tokyo?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: