Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classroom control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fortigurn

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Classroom control Reply with quote

I'm pondering one of the questions in a form sent to me by a school to which I've applied:

Quote:
Place yourself in the following scenario. You are busy teaching a class, when a student becomes disobedient and disrupts your class. What steps would you take to remedy the situation?

I know what I would do here in Australia:

• Say politely but firmly 'Excuse me Fanxi, could I please have your full attention? I need it in order to conduct the class properly. Thanks'.

• If the behaviour persists or recommences, say politely but firmly 'Excuse me Fanxi, I do require your full attention in this class. Right now you're also preventing other students learning. Please save your play for outside the classroom. Thanks.'

• I've never reached the third stage

But how well would this go down in Taiwan? What are the rules of play? And what happens if you reach stage three? Shocked

Thanks.
MTurton

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toss his ass out promptly. It will do wonders for the rest of the year.
Fortigurn

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTurton wrote:
Toss his ass out promptly. It will do wonders for the rest of the year.

Oooooookkkkkkkkaaaaaaaayyyy... Shocked

I guess teaching in Taiwan is a little different to teaching in an inner suburb private girls school in Melbourne, Australia. Exclamation

I'll assume you're serious, given your obvious experience. So how do I express that politely on the form I've had sent to me by this school? Or is:

Quote:
Toss his ass out promptly.

...an acceptable answer? Embarassed
Taylor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you even know how old the potential students are? That is obviously a key factor in dealing with any classroom situation.

I can assure you that 98% of Taiwan's population would not understand those "politically correct" responses anyway. You could translate those into Russian or Greek and get the same response!!!

Non-verbal communication, directed peer pressure, engaging classroom activities--along with an established reward system--are the keys to classroom control. If this doesn't make sense, I will write more later.

Personally, the school to which you are applying does not sound like my cup of tea....but "to each his own" as for places of employment.

Considering your experience, you might like the place.

Best wishes,

Taylor
Kaohsiung/Dallas
MTurton

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, obviously you can't answer the truth, that you toss the kid out of class first thing (don't let it escalate). So give them the answer you wrote, about how nice and firm you'd be. They'll like that.

Taylor's answer is right on, but you can't write that either. Write what you wrote in the first paragraph, as it sounds wonderful, and then when you get here, do what Taylor and I advise. I have a whole page on disciplinary tricks I have used at one time or another (just wait until you have a class of 70 16 year olds to control, with no assistant teacher).

Michael
Fortigurn

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTurton wrote:
Look, obviously you can't answer the truth, that you toss the kid out of class first thing (don't let it escalate). So give them the answer you wrote, about how nice and firm you'd be. They'll like that.

Well I'd obviously throw the kid out on the third instance, but I've been taught to try and keep the child within the classroom, and within the group, as far as you are able.

I wouldn't throw the kid out first go. At least, not unless Taiwan kiddies need that kind of discipline. Shocked

Quote:
Taylor's answer is right on, but you can't write that either. Write what you wrote in the first paragraph, as it sounds wonderful, and then when you get here, do what Taylor and I advise. I have a whole page on disciplinary tricks I have used at one time or another (just wait until you have a class of 70 16 year olds to control, with no assistant teacher).

Thanks mate, I appreciate it. Very Happy
Fortigurn

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I have been killing myself laughing over your disciplinary action page. I think it's brilliant. Thanks so much for sending me the link. Very Happy

I've filled in the questionnaire. The only funny one was 'What is your philosophy of education'. Shocked
Frankie Knuckles

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fortigurn,

I went to an inner suburban private boys school in Melbourne so I think I know where you are coming from. I have only been teaching in Taiwan for a few months but I have also had previous experience teaching both adults and young kids in Japan. I don't really think you will have to much to worry about in regards to discipline here in Taiwan if you choose to work at a respectable school. Generally the behaviour of kids in the classroom is better here than it is in Australia. I remember how bad some of the kids were when I went to school in Melbourne even in a well respected private school and how disrespectful they were towards the teachers. I could never be a teacher in Australia because I think young people don't have much respect for teachers. It is part of Australian culture really, to not respect people in positions of authority.

Frankie
Fortigurn

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie Knuckles wrote:
Hello Fortigurn,

I went to an inner suburban private boys school in Melbourne so I think I know where you are coming from.

I think you will. I've worked three and a half years in a private girls school in inner suburban Melbourne, and prior to that two and a half years in a private boys school 10 minutes down the road from where I work now. Smile

Quote:
I have only been teaching in Taiwan for a few months but I have also had previous experience teaching both adults and young kids in Japan. I don't really think you will have to much to worry about in regards to discipline here in Taiwan if you choose to work at a respectable school.

Beauty.

Quote:
Generally the behaviour of kids in the classroom is better here than it is in Australia.

Given the behaviour of the Asian kiddies in my school, I sort of expected that. I'm glad to hear it's the case.

Quote:
I remember how bad some of the kids were when I went to school in Melbourne even in a well respected private school and how disrespectful they were towards the teachers. I could never be a teacher in Australia because I think young people don't have much respect for teachers. It is part of Australian culture really, to not respect people in positions of authority.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's one of the reasons why I've always found myself liking the Asian students the best. Laughing
ncaraway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Classroom control, etc. Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

One bad apple can spoil the bunch.

This old proverb is certainly true when applied to a classroom.

If I were in this situation, I would let the management know that a few student (among dozens, I presume) are causing "a negative feeling about TEACHING English."

Those students need to learn respect. They need to respect the teacher and their classmates. (Not to mention the parents of all of the children who are working to pay for the tuition, books, etc.)

RESPECT IS THE BOTTOM LINE.

It's been too long since I've taught learners under 8 years old, so I'll leave that to the others who may want to contribute.

As for the elementary school-aged children, your only hope involves peer-pressure and operant conditioning.

With regard to the prize cards, you need to find out how many cards each student has at the present time. See if the students like to 'hoard' them or convert them to prizes. Are the prizes cute, fashionable stuff that looks like it was made in Japan... or unwanted junk that looks like it came from the Mainland?

The students need to be rewarded as a class every 6 to 9 months. At my previous school, we had an 'apple' system. If the class achieved 100 apples--and kept them for a week-- then they were treated to a Pizza party. This might cost $1000 NT or so, but it was always worth it. We would also have fried chicken, drinks and cookies.

The school should pay, but even if the teacher pays, it's probably worth it-as long as you would still get paid for "teaching" that hour.

Each of the apples had a small piece of velcro on the back, allowing them to be easily (and quickly) removed and added back as necessary.

If you give a 10 second countdown for them to be quiet and open their books, and everyone does so..... They get one apple.

If they miss your ten second deadline, they lose at least one apple--maybe 2 or 3. Only give them apples back when students do well. It might be those students who caused the penalty or others who never cause trouble that allow the class to reclaim the apples.

Well, it's 9:55 AM on Sunday morning. I'm heading to church!

More later!!!! Best wishes everyone!

Taylor in Texas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: