Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding EFL Jobs in B/C/M/S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tracker466

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Finding EFL Jobs in B/C/M/S Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am 25 years old, and am a recent graduate from the university. Since 2008, I have wanted to go abroad and teach English as a foreign language, but I had to postpone my desires until now, since I had to first finish up my BA degree. Now, I have my BA degree in English, as well as minors in German and Computer Science, and another concentration in Business. I also have experience teaching ESL to students at a local literacy council (we focused on both speaking and reading/writing), currently substitute teach English, German and other subjects at a high school, and have a TEFL/TESL certificate, which I received from taking an online course. In addition, I have also had numerous writings published. For a recent college graduate, I believe that I have a heftier CV than many folks.

I have not had much luck finding a teaching position abroad, however, and that is namely why I felt that it might be useful to post a message here. Has anyone here worked in the former Yugoslavia area, particularly Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, or Serbia? I am particularly interested in teaching in one of these countries, as there are several Bosnian refugee families in my area, and after speaking with (and befriending) many of them, I am really longing to live and work in this area for a few years. In addition, I want to eventually further my studies with a degree in Slavic Studies, and desire to focus my attention on the southern group of Slavic languages. With that said, I feel very strongly about working in one of the aforementioned countries.

I have had a lackluster response when applying to language schools in these countries, however. Some of my refugee friends have told me that they believe that it is not going to cut it to try to find a job in these parts purely by means of a computer, as they felt that the letters of inquiry and cover letters typically just make their way to the garbage. Likewise, I recently spoke with someone who has been involved with the ESL/EFL business for many years, and he had similar thoughts, telling me that sometimes it is just best to go to the country and then worry about finding a job.

With that said, does anyone know anything about the EFL market in Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro or Serbia? Since I am a recent graduate, I do not have a lot of money, but would it be worth taking the risk and flying to this area without a job lined up, in an attempt to find something? Do the benefits of flying to the aforementioned countries outweigh the risk of coming home empty handed? Also, when would the best time be to plan my trip, should I go that route? I�ve heard that many of the schools do not teach in the summer, unless they are holding camps.

Thanks for any advice!

P.S. I am quite aware that the pay in these parts is not so good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: