Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honduras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdg05003

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Honduras Reply with quote

I recently secured employment at a small Christian school in Honduras. This is what they offered

500$ monthly salary
housing
round trip airfare x2 a year

The town is El Progreso, Yoro

How livable is this salary?
Has anyone ever taught in Honduras?
Anything I should know before I head out?

Thanks!
Higo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with Honduras, personally. But I've heard it's one of the more interesting and underrated countries in Central Am.

How did you find the job? Interview in person, remote? When do you leave?

Just off the top of my head. I think you can do ok with $500 if housing is covered.

How exciting! Keep updating if you can.
Higo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(double post)

Last edited by Higo on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salary is liveable for that part of the world. You can live well, but don't expect to save. Since housing is included, that}ll help a lot. PLUS; RT airfare is pretty unusual, that's a great added bonus. Ask more about though, they might just do the RT to Florida.
sdg05003

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is round trip to my home town. I found it through some friends who used to teach there. Although housing is included, i may have to pay utilities. Since this is my first year teaching (out of grad school) I am not such much worried about finding a high paying job, as just getting some experience (and spanish fluency) so that i can move up to something else.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdg05003 wrote:
It is round trip to my home town. I found it through some friends who used to teach there. Although housing is included, i may have to pay utilities. Since this is my first year teaching (out of grad school) I am not such much worried about finding a high paying job, as just getting some experience (and spanish fluency) so that i can move up to something else.

Fluency is hard to achieve. After using Spanish as my home language (my husband and I communicate in Spanish) for the past 6 years, I still don't consider myself fluent and highly doubt I ever will. And before that, I had studied for 14 years. Esepcially if you're in an English setting.

Sure, I can win an argument, but I couldn't write a formal paper or give a formal speech. Well , I could, it' would just be obvious that I wasn't fluent.
brian1972

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Living on 500 a month Reply with quote

You should be able to live on that easily. My wife and I lived in Gracias, Lempira last year and we made 600 a month total, 300 a piece. We also have two kids. Our family of 4 lived on 600 a month. We had to use our savings to travel but with the school paying the rent we could live on our salary.
reddevil79

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that's pretty good too, should be able to save a little maybe, but all depends on lifestyle, etc.

Lovely place Honduras and not many foreign visitors, I really liked it there when I visited.
DOGGIE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: been there..... Reply with quote

$500 will do you just fine.....get used to eating the local food, and save by not buying too many imported foods,,(Campbell's soups, etc)

El Progreso is a sleepy little town with the basics, a Pizza Hut, Burger King, maybe a movie theater, but not positive, and not much else...its best feature is being close (maybe an hour or less bus ride) to San Pedro Sula, where you will be able to "stroll" more...not good for your budget, but when you feel like splurging, SPS has a 6 screen CineMark with the newest movies, great malls, some museums that are small but interesting, bigger grocery stores where you can find some imported things that you might not in El Progreso....you COULD save some money each month, but you'll have to restrict your splurges, if your tempted save some coins for a Semana Santa (Easter) trip next Spring to the beaches of Tela, or even the Bay Islands (Roatan).
,,,,another long weekend trip could take you (via SPS) to the Ruins of Copan......email me if you like at
[email protected]

I live with my Honduran wife in the mountains and will be going this coming May3rd.....

Q:
1) did they say there are returning teachers from last year?
2) are you living alone or sharing housing?
3) many schools offer free Spanish lessons, but......?
4) I agree with the previous writer (one dare not disagree...lol) about the language, but jump in, use it as much as you can, and sooner (but later) you will almost feel like you can get around...till you can't
JonnyBBad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not worked in Honduras but I stayed in El Progreso for a few days last year.

I'd say it's a step up from a sleepy little town... It's quite bustling with a busy center, lot's of fast food places, lots of street food, and a definite air of prosperity. It's easy to get to being linked by highway to the airport and not far from SPS.

Certainly eat local food, the Baleadas are far tastier than a Macdonalds any day. The town is safe, the people are nice and I'm rather jealous of you!

Hope it's rewarding!
sdg05003

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I really appreciate your help! Does anyone know what the visa red tape entails? It is my understanding that I have to leave for a few days every three months? How does this work?

Any packing suggestions? How conservative do the women usually dress?

Would it be better to bring toiletries such as shampoo, lotion etc? Or would it be cheaper to get it down there?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdg05003 wrote:
Thanks! I really appreciate your help! Does anyone know what the visa red tape entails? It is my understanding that I have to leave for a few days every three months? How does this work?

Any packing suggestions? How conservative do the women usually dress?

Would it be better to bring toiletries such as shampoo, lotion etc? Or would it be cheaper to get it down there?

In general, in Latin America, it's expensive to buy
sunblock
contact solution
tampons

Do bring those. Shampoo and lotion is cheaper there.

AS for women, I know that I could walk out of my flat and go to the store wearing PJs and still get whislted at in Latin America. Dress down, nothing tight, keep in mind that you will still get whisteld at , no matter what.
JonnyBBad

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every 3 months you'll need to go to Belize or Costa Rica for a long weekend so that you can come back into the zone on a new tourist visa. Considering there's a boat from Puerto Cortes to Punta Gorda in Belize twice a week, they'll be the nicest visa runs you'll ever have to do. Bit of a long journey, but after a few days on the beach, a dive on the reef, a dinner of freshly caught grilled fish and a long night drinking rum and coconut juice while dancing to live reggae, you'll sleep like a baby. Alternatively, your school might offer to take your passport and get it stamped for extension, but hey, you'll probably want a slice of a different culture and some Caribbean sea, especially if it's paid for. Still jealous of you. Enjoy yourself.

Jonny
sdg05003

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

@Naturegirl: I highly doubt it. Im six foot tall and curvy, no whistling at me haha..

I have a flashdrive i plan to copy with digital copies of my passport, diploma, teaching certifiactions, etc.. do i need to bring the actual documents as well?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdg05003 wrote:
Thanks guys!

@Naturegirl: I highly doubt it. Im six foot tall and curvy, no whistling at me haha..

I have a flashdrive i plan to copy with digital copies of my passport, diploma, teaching certifiactions, etc.. do i need to bring the actual documents as well?

Don't beat on it, unless you mean that you're a guy.

I'd bring actual docs as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: