Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Students and Technology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feelfree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Students and Technology Reply with quote

Where are students in regards to technology? Will they bring laptops to class? Do they have Internet access at home?
rtm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Students and Technology Reply with quote

feelfree wrote:
Where are students in regards to technology? Will they bring laptops to class? Do they have Internet access at home?

Are you interested in a specific area of the world? A specific age group? What type of learning context (primary/secondary/tertiary education? private language school?)

When I taught at a university in Japan (until 2007), the majority of my students didn't use email and didn't use the Internet very much (except on their cell phones in both regards). Most did not have their own computer (so they didn't/couldn't bring a laptop to class). At that time, some had Internet access at (their family's) home (but not the majority, I don't think). I believe the use of computers and Internet has changed somewhat in the last few years however, and computer/email/web use is more prevalent now.

The undergrads I now teach in the US (mostly from China, Korea, and Saudi Arabia) are very much into technology, however. If I ask them to bring their laptop to class, all of them have one to bring, and will gladly bring it (or, if we have class in a computer lab, they are all able to use a web browser and word processor without needing instructions). They all have Internet at home, and I can count on them to plagiarize accordingly. Wink
feelfree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtm,

I will be working somewhere in the Middle East teaching English in a university preparatory year program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: