Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Looking for Advice about Prospects in Africa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Newbie Looking for Advice about Prospects in Africa Reply with quote

I'm a newbie (recently got my bachelor's in Political Science) and do not yet have a TESOL certificate, nor am I fluent in any language except for English. Please no insults about how my credentials are very limited-I realize they are.

But, I would appreciate constructive advice about which countries in Africa (if any) might be possibilities for persons brand new to ESL. Also, which of these countries (if any) would pay the best salaries that might allow me to pay off some monthly student debt that I have ($207/mo)?
wilco

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invest in a residential TEFL/TESOL/CELTA if you can dig up extra finance - it is well worth it. Then look at Sudan - full of schools of all standards that are desperate for the kudos of having a genuine native-speaker on the staff. Expect around $15-20 an hour.

CITC are notorious for ripping off students with a bad education and for abusing their teaching staff but if you can take it, there is experience to be gained - they pay around $1300 a month plus accom and flights. Treat them with a lot of care!

Most of Africa either require experienced teachers or use locally-trained ones.

Dave
rbos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Is Southern or Northern Sudan better in terms of opportunities and wages?

Also, how would prospects be in particular for Nigeria, Ghana, or Democratic Republic of Congo, Ivory Coast or Zimbabwe for beginners? I realize the official language of Nigeria, Ghana, and Zimbabwe is English-so maybe there's no chance, especially for beginners. Also, my guess is that Ivory Coast would be out of the question too right now because of the civil conflict there.
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a few exceptions (Libya, Sudan), Africa is not a place to come to make money. There are some openings in the English-speaking places you mentioned (as English is a Second Language for most locals) but they are volunteer (through a charity) or very low pay (i.e. about $100 per month and don't expect flights or accommodation to be included).
cassava

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rbos:

As you correctly suggest, your qualifications are extremely limited. First of all, political science is not a subject that is generally offered at the high school level. If it were, there would no shortage of local teachers capable of teaching it.

Secondly, you need to become properly trained as a teacher and obtain credentials to teach something like, say, mathematics or chemistry. I also think that you should forget about getting tefl credentials unless you are fluent in French and are thinking of teaching English somewhere in Francophone Africa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: