Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age Limit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Age Limit Reply with quote

Can anyone tell what the upper age limit is for the UAE for a new visa and the retirement age?

Thanks
crocus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the new law which came in this January, expat workers are on the same visa conditions until they are 65 ( 2 years' visa). Previously once you hit 60, it was a 1-year visa and I heard it was more expensive for the employer, but I don't know if this was the case.

However, getting some places to change their by-laws seems to be impossible - 60 is the age, and 60 they intend to stick to!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retirement age in the Gulf tends to be the time at which they decide that you are not handling the job to their requirements. Some of the old Middle East hands are around 70 and still going strong. They pull out the "law" at the point that they want to get rid of you. Laughing

Getting hired close to 60 depends on demand... and your CV. The laws get stretched when necessary it seems.

VS
Afra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are needed, they will hire you, especially now when things are so difficult. However, there is no health insurance after 70.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
especially now when things are so difficult.

???

I would have thought that with the current economic situation and the widespread discontent at certain major institutions, it's an employer's market in Gulf ESL right now.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleopatra wrote:
Quote:
especially now when things are so difficult.

???

I would have thought that with the current economic situation and the widespread discontent at certain major institutions, it's an employer's market in Gulf ESL right now.

I thought that would happen as well. I heard, through the grapevine so take it for what it's worth, that top unis in Egypt were begging for teachers since so many left.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of 'top' universities in Egypt is about... one... if we're talking about need for EFL teachers. Laughing There is an ad on the AUC website asking for applications prior to Jan, 2011, but I don't know if they have filled their numbers or not. If I were still in the job market, I wouldn't even pause for a minute before accepting a position with them. (assuming single, no dependents)

I wonder if the problems are in the content areas more than EFL. Professors tend to be older and more risk adverse than EFL teachers. I will have to check the rumor mill. It is more likely the smaller private colleges that are having difficulties in EFL.

VS
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

I thought that would happen as well. I heard, through the grapevine so take it for what it's worth, that top unis in Egypt were begging for teachers since so many left.

I can sort of understand people being reluctant to take jobs in Egypt (though personally I think it would be a fascinating time to be there.... but then I'm a bit weird that way!) But most ESL jobs in the ME are in the wealthy Gulf countries, which, apart from Bahrain, have been largely unaffected by the uprisings elsewhere in the Arab world. And while one can never say never, it's most unlikely that there will be serious unrest in the GCC countries (other than Bahrain) in the foreseeable future.
eha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'it's most unlikely that there will be serious unrest in the GCC countries (other than Bahrain) in the foreseeable future'

It may not be too pleasant for academics, though.... at least, for anyone who may have ... shall we say, opinions? Weren't two academics arrested in Abu Dhabi recently for giving their opinions openly on current situations?
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eha wrote:
'it's most unlikely that there will be serious unrest in the GCC countries (other than Bahrain) in the foreseeable future'

It may not be too pleasant for academics, though.... at least, for anyone who may have ... shall we say, opinions? Weren't two academics arrested in Abu Dhabi recently for giving their opinions openly on current situations?

Both of these men blogged and wrote articles about political reform, so it's not simply a case of 'giving their opinions'. Of course, I'm not saying what happened to them is in any way excusable, but the fact is that this part of the world is not the place to go around offering political opinions, least of all in the classroom. That's something all of us have to accept when we choose to work here. Again, I don't want to give the impression that I'm defending this state of affairs, but that's how it is. Discretion is the name of the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: