Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greeting, self intro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Greeting, self intro Reply with quote

Greeting to this group.

I am Christopher, and I have been teaching in Hong Kong for twelve years. During that time I have taught in local primary and secondary schools, colleges and also overseas universities represented by local colleges.

I am pleased to find this group and say a hardy welcome to all NETs here in Hong Kong. To all NET�s about to embark on this wonderful cultural journey, welcome and try to enjoy the ride Razz

Whilst Japan may have a unique culture, I can certainly boast so does the HK education system!
Muddled heavily on the writings of Charles Dickens, you will be pleased to know that 99.9% of any cultural surprise in teaching mythologies between local teachers and NET�s are common. Also there are a number of organisations to help. NESTA, the Native English Speaking Teachers Association in conjunction with many organisations, e.g. pubs allow NETs to share any frustrations and experiences.

I don�t want to write too much for now, other than to say �Hi�, some may find a slight backlog due to the schools having been closed and just reopening this week (in two phases, higher forms first and lower forms next week) due to the SARS outbreak.

Once you arrive, having soughed out your accommodation (another culture shock) you will be pleased to discover that (a) there is no sales tax in HK and (b) due to the economy prices that were slashed have been slashed again.

I should think that for teachers here in HK a list of good links for food an entertainment, second hand furniture shops, clubs etc might be useful, I direct you to one of the many online publications, http://www.asiaxpat.com.hk/

Bye for now
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: