Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pneumonia in HK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freaky Deaky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Pneumonia in HK Reply with quote

This is quite urgent and I would appreciate any comments from anyone. Some friends are travelling to Hong Kong via Shenzhen. They are now more than a little concerned about the pneumonia outbreak in the region. I've checked what information I can find but would appreciate any advice or comments from people living in the area. Cheers.
once again

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is not a comfortable time here at the moment. THe government seems to have done little about it..but my doctor described it as an epidemic. bHe didn't charge me for my consultation by the way, so he not just into making money. The latest idea is that it is spread by droplets from sneezing and coughing. So the suggested idea is to get a really good face mask, not just one of those silly paper thingsIt , and stay away from crowded areas. Personally, if I did not need to be here I would get the hell out until the whole thing goes away. THe news from China that we are getting makes chilling reading. It seems that there are more cases everyday and given the penchant for not reporting the whole story from China, one is left at only guessing just how serious it might be. I work in a primary school and I can tell you that all of the teachers and parents just want the schools closed down for a while. The time lost will be made up on shorter summer holidays.
One of my fellow teachers got the condition and I had phone calls from the health department to ask me how I was. My doctor told me that I was fine, but now I have a lousy cold, quite normal for this time in HK, but last night was very sleepless indeed. My advice would be to stay away, as at the moment nobody seems to know how far this thing will go.
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony is that the gravest danger at the moment seems to be one of the hospitals. One had to completely shut down most of its wards because its staff had the disease.
They are now talking of quarantining those affected by it.

Well, I don't know where it is easier to be infected - Guangdong or Hong Kong, but as HK natives are so fond of living and travelling in neighbouring GD you are not safe on either side of the border.
SOmeone wisely suggested to refrain from eating with chopsticks - it will take a hundred more years before the Chinese stop this habit! But I doubt that the bizarre eating style at McDonald's - using your fingers! - is much cleaner!
once again

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are making a habit of aggreeing with each other at the moment, lets hope it stops and our healthy differences of oppinion continue. Provided WE both remain healthy that is! My point of aggreement is on the Mc Donalds thing.

I once had a student that said that Indians were dirty because they used their hands to eat food. I asked her if she ever went to Mc Ds. She anwered in the affirmative. I then asked her if she found it difficult eating the hamburgers and fries with her chopsticks. SHe shut up about it then.

I have always found the Mc Ds thing strange. People make a big thing here about putting your fingers in your mouth. This is dirty. Probably a very good point given the climate here and all sorts of bugs and germs that lurk in the humidity. Yet they then go out off the street into Mc Ds and without washing thier hands eat with their fingers!!! Still, we all have our inconsistent and erratic double standards.
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Hong Kong via Shenzen Reply with quote

I would avoid traveling through China at his time.

Mainland China has never been reputed for it's high hygene standards!

Also Chinese hospitals leave a lot to be desired, make sure you have very comprehensive medical cover before visiting the mainland.

A direct mode of travel to HK might be more practical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: