Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balkan Country - Serbia-Montenegro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRCourage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Balkan Country - Serbia-Montenegro Reply with quote

TOPIC: Balkan Country - Serbia-Montenegro

This is the place for helpful posts from those who have some first hand (or second hand) information about teaching opportunities (income or volunteer).

Those looking for teaching positions will be interested in teaching conditions, living conditions, safety concerns and any other factors regarding the Serbia-Montenegro that come to your mind as being of concern, so please share freely....

All sorts of knowledge and experiences are welcomed.

Thank you for taking the time to share your accrued wisdom and gut reactions.
CizinkaNaZemi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Venture Reply with quote

Friends, colleagues, and fellow strangers on earth, I am venturing into the blankness of this forum in hopes that someone will describe ANY experience they have had with ANY school in Serbia and comment on challenges with work, students, housing, or safety.
When I have spent some time there this spring I will certainly make an effort to fill this void myself by posting experiences and advice, because I know Belgrade has unmet demand for native-speaker teachers. Perhaps with good reason, but I'm taking that risk.
By the way, I did have a good experience this summer on a three-week course with Radionica za srpski jezik i kulturu (Serbian Language and Culture Workshop) in Valjevo. Only one or two scary incidents. Wink
Tamaris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: live from Belgrade! Reply with quote

Well, I am in Belgrade(and from Belgrade), so if you need any info feel free to ask me!
Belgrade is safe, even though it doesn't seem so...I was born here, and I'm now living here for quite some time (4 years) and I never, ever had any incidents!!
Accomodation- you will have to arrange it yourself, since I don't really know any school that is willing to pay for it! I guess you can find a nice flat for around 200-250 euros, depending on the part of the city...(so it's NOT cheap!!)
School pay 10-15 euros per unit (45min.), so you do the math...
Night life is amazing here!!
krakpaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Albania Reply with quote

Can anyone share school info about teaching in Tirana or another city in Albania? thanks-
misteradventure

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Montenegro Reply with quote

What is the teaching situation like in Podgorica or , for that matter, anywhere else in the breakaway republic. Anyone even been there lately?
TjRjn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Podgorica, Motnenegro Reply with quote

Ok, I'm not quite sure if anyone is still following this post as it seems a bit old now, but I've been in Podgorica for over a year and love it. I started off at a local 'school' and now have my own small school which is doing well.

The people are great and very hospitable although the cost of living has more than doubled since I arrived in 2006 - mainly due to foreigners/foreign companies arriving and paying ridiculous prices for property and inflating the prices. When I first arrived you could get a decent flat for about 250 euros, but now your hard pressed to find one below 400. Average is around 600 euros.

Podgorica is very safe for men and women - although I can see that changing next year when they introduce direct flights from various places and witness an ever increasing influx of tourists.

If anyone would like to discuss Podgorica (or Albania as I have travelled there as well) please feel free to mail me directly.
boxalldr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wrote, "When I first arrived you could get a decent flat for about 250 euros, but now you're hard pressed to find one below 400. Average is around 600 euros."

Six hundred euros is probably three times the average monthly salary in Podgorica, so you are paying the rich foreigner rate. What do Montenegrins pay for a decent flat? Also, what's you definition of "decent"?
TjRjn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately foreigners and in particular foreign companies, where money seems to be no object, are making it difficult for the average person - Montenegrin or not, to find decent place. A Montenegrin friend did manage to find a 'loft' in town this week for 300 euros. It is one bedroom and furnished but she agreed that there are some real dumps being offered for around the same price and higher. I looked at quite a few before I found my apartment which in in Zabejlo, about 40 mins walk from the centre, and not considered to be the most desirable suburb. In fact most of my Montenegrin friends laughed when I told them I was moving there, but I like it.
600 euros is about twice the average wage for Montenegro, hence the reason most people still live with their parents until they get married. I've seen apartments being offered for around 300 euros which are just one room, very old and run down with no beds...I even had one woman who would rent one to me on on proviso that I would allow her to stay there too occasionally....Didn't happen! Laughing
PMorgan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: School in Belgrade Reply with quote

Hi:

I worked back in 2004 for a school called Ultraviolet Language Studio in Belgrade. I was paid a reasonable wage for the time (around 300 euros per month) and had a great time. I was fortunate that I did not pay rent because my girlfriend at the time was Serbian and we stayed with her family.

The school is now offering a language course for foreigners who are interested in taking in Serbian culture and learning some of the language.
It includes the famous Exit music festival, Beerfest, and trips to many of the historical monasteries.

You can check it out at -

http://www.ultra-violet.8m.com/summer-winter.html

I love the Balkans and Serbia especially, so I hope some might be interested in this.
saren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to Belgrade this August on holiday and I'm hoping to find work teaching Business English, or Conversational English to Business Professionals (in companies, or at language centers). If I can't find anything in Belgrade I'm moving south through Montenegro and then to Croatia.

Do you guys have any names of schools, or contact email addresses? Thanks.
miffycat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Montenegro Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm interested in teaching in Montenegro having worked in Japan and Spain for a few years. Does anyone have any advice or info?
I would also love to read any info or experiences you can share about skiing or snowboarding in Montenegro.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: