Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making a Living Online While in the Philippines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramblin' Man wrote:
Actually, what matters more then your English abilities, is how you look, and your skin tone/color.

Are you a Phil/Am or 100% Filipino?

How dark are you?

If you look very Filipino, you will have a tougher time getting an ESL job, and they pay likely will be lower then it would be for a white westerner, even if you do.

I look like Manny Pacquiao.

No kidding. (Minus his muscles and millions, of course.)

Smile
wiganer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
Ramblin' Man wrote:
Actually, what matters more then your English abilities, is how you look, and your skin tone/color.

Are you a Phil/Am or 100% Filipino?

How dark are you?

If you look very Filipino, you will have a tougher time getting an ESL job, and they pay likely will be lower then it would be for a white westerner, even if you do.

I look like Manny Pacquiao.

No kidding. (Minus his muscles and millions, of course.)

Smile

Then the CELTA isn't going to do you much good. Next to little blonde Lauren and her BA in bimbo studies - you will come a poor second every time. Laughing
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiganer wrote:

Then the CELTA isn't going to do you much good. Next to little blonde Lauren and her BA in bimbo studies - you will come a poor second every time. Laughing

So what do you suggest I do?

Are there other places with better opportunities for me?

Confused
wiganer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
wiganer wrote:

So what do you suggest I do?

Are there other places with better opportunities for me?

Confused

My advice, you are throwing your money down the drain with a CELTA, you are not going to work in Europe where it is highly valued nor the Middle East and unless you wanted to only work in Vietnam where the CELTA is an immigration requirement then forget about it. You have the most important qualification to teach which is your degree. For now, you will be competing against 'Barbie' and 'Ken' (real or imagined) and your CELTA won't make a jot of difference in losing out to them. You have a lot of things not in your favour which includes race, skin colour, where you were born, age and your gender - those factors are a lot more important (unfortunately) than you having a CELTA in regards getting hired or not.

If you want to work in Asia, then just start applying now to work in September. I think you could get yourself a nice university job in China. Give that a go! If you like teaching English and you fancy the higher earnings of the Middle East then go back and get your MA TESOL in a couple of years from now or if you fancy the life of teaching in an international school then a MA in education.

Don't think about it too much or else you will end up chickening out 'paralysis by analysis' happens a lot to many would be TEFL teachers. Wink
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiganer wrote:

My advice, you are throwing your money down the drain with a CELTA, you are not going to work in Europe where it is highly valued nor the Middle East and unless you wanted to only work in Vietnam where the CELTA is an immigration requirement then forget about it. You have the most important qualification to teach which is your degree. For now, you will be competing against 'Barbie' and 'Ken' (real or imagined) and your CELTA won't make a jot of difference in losing out to them. You have a lot of things not in your favour which includes race, skin colour, where you were born, age and your gender - those factors are a lot more important (unfortunately) than you having a CELTA in regards getting hired or not.

If you want to work in Asia, then just start applying now to work in September. I think you could get yourself a nice university job in China. Give that a go! If you like teaching English and you fancy the higher earnings of the Middle East then go back and get your MA TESOL in a couple of years from now or if you fancy the life of teaching in an international school then a MA in education.

Don't think about it too much or else you will end up chickening out 'paralysis by analysis' happens a lot to many would be TEFL teachers. Wink

Interesting advice. I really appreciate it.

But it contradicts the advice I've received from other ESL veterans:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=916878#916878

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=915978#915978

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
wiganer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
wiganer wrote:

Interesting advice. I really appreciate it.

But it contradicts the advice I've received from other ESL veterans:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=916878#916878

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=915978#915978

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

I would say it depends on the individual and how much spare cash they have lying around. Some people would be more confident about applying for teaching jobs with passing a CELTA beforehand so they have an idea of what they are doing. If you go to teach at a Chinese university, the CELTA would be a waste of time in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't save up and wait to do it when you can apply now and get a job for September.

Your degree would be enough to get you a public school job in Thailand, South Korea and any university job in China, you wouldn't need a CELTA for the jobs I have mentioned.

They are advertising for public school teachers in Thailand for a May start. Get applying now and you'll be there in six weeks time. Wink
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that CELTA will help me in the long run.

But if I can't afford the time or the money for CELTA, I will consider your advice. I will just apply to where a college degree is adequate.

As for Thailand, I've heard that the pay is pitifully low: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/locked-up-abroad/4731/Photos#tab-Overview

So I'm thinking of Vietnam where the pay is high and the expenses are low. China and South Korea are also on my list.

I now have two basic options or strategies to start my ESL career. More options means more choices. Plan ahead to get ahead.

Thanks for the tip.

Cool
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one get a visa to stay in the Philippines? I already have an online job.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiganer wrote:

If you were born in the Philippines and spoke Tagalog as a first language then you are not a native English speaker. Wink

Not necesarily. I lived in Mexico till I was 6 or 7, and only learned to speak English at that age. However, I speak pretty close to perfect English with no accent at all. Well, a Chicago accent I guess. I knew loads of Filipinos who also came as young children, and while Tagalog might have been their first language, for all practical purposes they are native speakers. Maybe there is a cut off for an age at which you can learn what is really a second language but have it come out sounding like a first language, or just be plain old Bi-lingual, and not really have a first language.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
How does one get a visa to stay in the Philippines? I already have an online job.

Work visa = not gonna happen.
SSRV = money in the bank (US&20-75k) and stay for as long as you want.
Tourist = 2 years in 60 day extensions. Leave, return, repeat for as many years as you want.
Previous ties to the RP (or married to a citizen) = Balikbayan, 1 year at a time, leave return, repeat. Work not allowed.
Previous citizen - reclaim your rights and citizenship.
Married in and want to stay, 13a (non-quota) residence visa. Work is allowed.

JZer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tourist = 2 years in 60 day extensions. Leave, return, repeat for as many years as you want.

Does that mean I would have to leave the country every 60 days?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Quote:

Does that mean I would have to leave the country every 60 days?

no, extend every 60 days and do a visa run to HK every 2nd year.

wiganer

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
wiganer wrote:

If you were born in the Philippines and spoke Tagalog as a first language then you are not a native English speaker. Wink

Not necesarily. I lived in Mexico till I was 6 or 7, and only learned to speak English at that age. However, I speak pretty close to perfect English with no accent at all. Well, a Chicago accent I guess. I knew loads of Filipinos who also came as young children, and while Tagalog might have been their first language, for all practical purposes they are native speakers. Maybe there is a cut off for an age at which you can learn what is really a second language but have it come out sounding like a first language, or just be plain old Bi-lingual, and not really have a first language.

Being a 'native speaker' has nothing to do with how well you speak your L2 - there are lots of Norwegians and Dutch people who have a better command of the English language than many Scots, but they are still 'non native' speakers. I didn't invent this rule by the way - take it up with David Crystal and Stephen Krashen! Laughing
beenthere96-2005

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: ILE "School" Reply with quote

Has anyone dealt with this school for "online" Skype teaching?

I have a bad feeling that I may have been a victim of identity theft. The reason being that they wanted all kinds of information including Drivers License copy and PayPal address up front.

Everything was going fine through the "interview" process and then they seemed to disappear.

Luckily my credit is no good, or I would be real worried about this
JoeRomano

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ile-school.com
http://www.ile-school.com/en/contacts/
http://www.ile-school.com/en/our-lesson/
http://www.whois.net/whois/ile-school.ru
They are in Russia and appear to be legit. They may be practicing management according to Russian culture, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: