Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advertising for private tuition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Advertising for private tuition Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have been reading eagerly for the past few days. It's been a great substitute for a book I'm struggling with!

I understand a lot of teachers in Italy also give private lessons, and I was wondering if you could tell me the best places to advertise for those? Knowing Italy, 'word of mouth' goes a long way I suspect, but I assume other forms of advertising are also used.

Also, I do understand that finding work is best done when one has arrived. Is it realistic to try and and secure something prior to departure thought?

Many thanks!
acmurray

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of mouth is great, but so are internet forums. I posted ads on www.bakeca.it and www.kijiji.it (make sure you get the one for your city, i.e. bologna.bakeca.it). They're like Craigslist for Italy. There is also a Craigslist for several Italian cities, but the Bologna one at least is rarely used. I've had great success with those sites, especially if you use the "vetrina" option with which you pay something like 5 euros to keep it at the top.

You can try putting up fliers, but I haven't had as much success with that as they sometimes get torn down.

People sometimes email CVs to my school in advance. They don't generally get taken seriously unless it's to say, "Hi, I'm arriving in Bologna on September 5. Here's my CV. Could I come in for an interview?" Often schools are scrambling for teachers in September for their October start dates and are ready to snap up any qualified candidate who walks in the door. This way you could get in line ahead of less qualified candidates who are already walking in by letting the school know that you exist and will be there on a definite date. But if you can't give a specific date I'm not sure I'd bother.

Good luck!
Beatac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, great help!

It is obviously a little daunting to be moving to another country without having a job in place. Although, reading through all this information and given all of you have done it, alleviates some of the distress!

I will be in the Carrara region, too far to drive to Bologna every day (shame as so many people have given positive reports on the job market there), but hopefully Pisa or La Spezia will prove just as good.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an IH in La Spezia, and a few language schools in and around Genova. But a fair distance between La Spezia and Genova (certainly not commutable every day, I'd have thought), so you might want to plump for one over the other.

I know that there's a guy from IH La Spezia on Twitter - you might want to get on there and find him to ask him about work opportunities.

Just one other thing - I'm assuming in all this that you're a dual citizen? Or that you have the right to work in Italy...
acmurray

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I was just using Bologna as an example. Smile Good luck!
Beatac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
There's an IH in La Spezia, and a few language schools in and around Genova. But a fair distance between La Spezia and Genova (certainly not commutable every day, I'd have thought), so you might want to plump for one over the other.

I know that there's a guy from IH La Spezia on Twitter - you might want to get on there and find him to ask him about work opportunities.

Just one other thing - I'm assuming in all this that you're a dual citizen? Or that you have the right to work in Italy...

IH at La Spezia was actually one of the ones I was going to approach, so I will definitely look through Twitter for any possible contacts. I am doing my certification through IH is Sydney, so perhaps that may help??

Genova is certainly a fair hike and not feasible for a daily commute. I also plan to look around Pisa, given its large student population. I have a family home in the Carrara region, so ideally am hoping to find a school near by (1hr drive max) as it would save me rental costs.

Thankfully yes, I am a EU citizen. Polish national, lived in Rome as a child and subsequently moved to Aust. Now eagerly anticipating a return to Europe!

Thank you for the reply and suggestions, communicating with you all is a wonderful help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: