Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has MLI made any offers yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Has MLI made any offers yet? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone has heard from MLI since the conference in Dubai in March? I interviewed with them and thought for sure that I would have heard something back by now, one way or the other, but there's been nothing but silence. I've been offered another position in the Emirates, but I have to give my answer by Saturday.

It would be nice to have a couple of offers to choose from, but I guess I ought to be thankful to the Almighty that I have one that I can count on.

James
spicegirl

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, James - I know of at least 5 people who either had an interview with MLI at aTESOL Arabia, or in the week following the conference, who've been offered jobs. Most received their job offers within 3 or 4 days of the intervew. One person received the offer about 10 days ago.

If you have to take your decision about the other job by Saturday, why don't you give MLI a call today to find out what's happening, and tell them your situation. The worst that can happen is that they tell you they're not offering you the post. At least you'll know one way or the other. If they're still sitting on the fence about you, they'll know you have another option, and it might prompt them to make up their minds, if they haven't already.

Glad you've got an alternative, though.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Has MLI made any offers yet? Reply with quote

Well, that takes care of the rumor that the MLI has made offers to everyone they interviewed because they're "desperate". Wink

Yes, they have made offers. They had mine in the mail before I even got home from TA .
james

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Thanks for the info Reply with quote

Thanks for information. Since I haven't heard from them, I'll take it as a "don't call us, we'll call you" situation. One would think, though, that they'd have the courtesy to notify those who took the time to interview with them at TESOL Arabia, with a short, but sweet rejection letter.

I don't want to go there bad enough to call them to inquire, only to hear what is plainly obvious from the deafening silence. The only thing that gets my goat is that they said "you'll hear from us one way or the other withing 4 weeks" and then nothing...very unprofessional. Okay, Dubai...here I come...
Albulbul

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: recruiting Reply with quote

Come on. Show a bit of savvy. They find out first if their first choices will accept the offer. Then when they are sure they have enough for the crew, they tell the others "No thanks."

Put yourself in the shoes of someone recruiting. It is only common sense.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: No "NO" Reply with quote

Dear Albulbul,
Actually, I'd say james has a point. It's not a case of

Quote:
Then when they are sure they have enough for the crew, they tell the others "No thanks."

but that there is, in fact, NO "No Thanks". That's always irked me, too - that some places don't have even the courtesy to let you know "NO".
Regards,
John
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the info Reply with quote

james wrote:
One would think, though, that they'd have the courtesy to notify those who took the time to interview with them at TESOL Arabia, with a short, but sweet rejection letter.

Yes, one would think.... Mad

Annoying, ain't it?

Been there, suffered through that.

BD
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No "NO" Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
That's always irked me, too - that some places don't have even the courtesy to let you know "NO".

Agreed, Mr. Slat. I sometimes write to them and ASK them, point-blank, if I am still on their radar, and the dears can't be bothered to reply. It's especially annoying when they give me the cold shoulder AFTER they've bothered my referees and gotten me to walk halfway down the garden path.

BD
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Arabia Felix Reply with quote

Well ........................... this is the Middle East. If one were applying to Oxbridge or the Ivy League perhaps one could expect to be treated like that.

Here it is the Orient and oriental rules apply.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Arabia Felix Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Here it is the Orient and oriental rules apply.

Ironically, it seems to be the Occidental straw bosses who are most remiss when it comes to courtesy.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me started on employers who don't have the courtesy to even send out a standardise, impersonal, group email to those they turn down!

Is it really asking too much - apparantly yes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: