Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanted: Job in USA, will teach for money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcyyap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Wanted: Job in USA, will teach for money. Reply with quote

Hi there Dave and everybody else.

I'm just finishing my CELTA (Cambridge certificate in English language teaching of adults) in London and I wanted to move over to the States to be with my girlfriend. I wanted to do some part-time teaching over there in a language school to pay my way, but I've read how work is hard to find in the USA if you don't have a MA TESOL, lots of experience or even residency (green card).

Does anybody know what my chances are of finding a language school to sponsor my visa application if I do look for work, especially in somewhere like California? (Any other cities that I should look at?)

Would my chances improve if I said that I have a BA Hons and MA Pharmacology degree from the University of Cambridge, England and I used to study medicine? Would that help towards "English for a specific Purpose" teaching? Or would it be worthwhile doing another certificate as well?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Kenny.
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: I Think You Would Have a Very Hard Time... Reply with quote

IF you could find a language school to sponsor your visa(I do not pretend to know all of the requirements and ramifications,etc of getting the necessary papers to work in the US),chances are you would not get enough work and enough money to support yourself.English is spoken widely in the US of course,being the major language there.Why would most schools want to hire someone from Britain(especailly if it involves paperwork) to teach English when they can hire a US citizen without all of the paperwork hassle?Even then,there is not that much work of this kind for EVEN US citizens,let alone someone who comes from another country.That is why many of us who are citizens of the US are teaching English overseas...there is just not much of a job market(rather miniscule,really) for us in the US.

I really think you should look at other options.I rather doubt that your studies in pharmacology,etc.would help you land a TESOL position...there just isn't much of a job market...for anyone...and most schools would probably be inclined to favor US citizens.Sorry.Sometimes the truth is not so great to hear...but I think it is better to hear the truth now rather than getting your hopes up too much.
kcyyap

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: I kind of suspected it... Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Bnix.

I thought that the job market wasn't going to be that good right now, especially for a non-American.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Thanks anyway though!

Kenny.
Lynden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but why wouldn't you get a green card to be a pharmacist in the States? So many of the states are crying for every kind of medical professional. I have a friend who is a nurse, went to California and is getting paid really well and her hospital is sponsering her green card for her.
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: That Might Be an Option.... Reply with quote

Lynden's suggestion sounds like something you might want to check out...if you want to work as a pharmacist.Does a degree in Pharmacology prepare you to to be a pharmacist?Also,you might have to take some kind of separate licensing exam in the US.You might want to check it out...it is an idea.Pharmacists are not in such short supply as nurses....nursing is a real "burn-out"profession...and because many hospitals are desperate for them...they will "go the extra mile "(or two or three) to get almost anybody who is qualified as a nurse.There is not such a desperate demand for pharmacists...it is not a "burn-out" profession...there is a LOT less tension in filling prescriptions(well, of course you have to get the right amounts and so on...but usually there are no life and death situations like in nursing).Still,although there may not be a big shortage like in nursing,I am sure if you had the right qualifications,you might be able to work something out,,,especially since you went to Cambridge.One thing for sure...you would make a lot more money working as a pharmacist than teaching English.Best of luck.Hope it works out for you. Smile
dan

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most pragmatic advice: have a kid with your lady
dan

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry... the first time i read your post i thought you said "wife", not "girlfriend". my mistake. marriage, as you may already know, is no longer a sure thing here. i blame republicans.
usfemme

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, of course you have to get the right amounts and so on...but usually there are no life and death situations like in nursing)

With all due respect, there are many life and death situations involved with pharmacy. Many drug names sound alike, and if a pharmacist misinterprets the doctor's writing on a prescription, it could mean death, and many deaths occur because of this. Also, a pharmacist must catch drug interactions because quite often a patient does not tell a doctor what other medications (prescribed by other physicians) he is taking. And, doctors frequently prescribe wrong dosages that a pharmacist must investigate before filling. Many medical schools give doctors very paltry educations on drugs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: